A solution to the font problem

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Gogurt48, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

A lot of people had difficulty reading the thin fonts of betas 1 and 2, and a lot of people complained about it. Happily, Apple listened and thickened the fonts slightly in beta 3. They also gave us the option of making them even thicker by selecting "bold text" in Settings.

This was a welcome change for me, and for many others. But, predictably, there were a lot of people who preferred the thinner font, which, admittedly, looked pretty cool, even if it was a strain on the eyes.

So, why not just add a three-way switch in Settings that would let us select between "thin," "normal" and "bold"? That way, everybody would be happy!

2. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

Can't say I don't agree with this. I LOVED the clean look of the thin font...I think it made the phone look current and fresh. The bolder font still looks great, but given the choices (which would be great), I think I will still choose to use the thinner look.

Side note. Thank you Apple...you seem to have listened to the "majority" of people, and for that I salute your efforts with these beta updates. Keep it up and the GM might just be the perfect update to the iOS system we've seen. Its nice to be heard.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This was already mentioned and there is no font problem in iOS 7. There is a preference and Apple has allowed people to turn it off or on. I learned this last night in another thread.

4. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

Hmm, I am reading that with a bit of sarcasm in your typing.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope, not even an ounce. You read it how you want though.
    I did indeed learn this last night in another thread. Call it sarcasm but I don't think the word means what you think it means. ;)

6. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

Go back and read the other thread. The preference you mentioned does not allow us to get the ultralight font back.

7. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

LOL, because Apple makes all our decisions for us. They tell us to think differently so long as it's the exact same way as they do!

8. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

The fact that they listened to complaints about the too-thin font and changed it suggests that perhaps they are less dictatorial than you think.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Except people like me who specifically buy Apple products because they're NOT like the control panel for MS Internet Explorer.

Destroying what Apple IS won't solve the problem.

10. vcao macrumors regular

in beta 3, you can't turn it on and off.

the system font, is Neue Regular, and by turning on the Bold Text switch, simply makes the font bolder. Not stepping back to Neue Light and Ultra Light.

I tried it last night. It felt like my phone was shouting at me.

11. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

We already have two choices for font thickness (regular and bold). I'm not sure how giving us a third choice would destroy everything that Apple is.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sorry, I was trying to complain about that current 2-way choice as it currently is, not about your addition of a 3rd option.

13. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

You're saying you don't even want us to have the option of making all the text bold? Personally, I'm glad we have that choice. Don't forget: not every iPhone user is 20 years old with perfect vision. Some of us are grateful for options that help us avoid unnecessary eyestrain. That's why the "bold text" option is under "Accessibility."

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well then I'm confused because Accessibility has always had the ability to change fonts. I thought people were rejoicing because an additional text option was added outside of Accessibility.

So you're telling me that all the hubbub around here about text options is about a thing that's existed in iOS for years?

Macrumors sure is awesome, lol

15. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Why not just add a font setting and let people change the font for things like Messages, Notes, Mail, and Safari? Who could possibly be harmed by having that option?

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In betas 1&2 Accessibility text size options only applied to in-app font sizes. It now seems to apply to Notification Center also.

----------

The poor coders who have to write the code to give us all those options.

17. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Not exactly. In beta 3 Apple made the default UI font thicker. That can't be changed (except it can be made even bolder in the Accessibility settings). Some people preferred the thinner default font of betas 1 and 2. Others prefer the new, thicker default font. I'm simply suggesting that Apple could please both sides by allowing us to choose "thin" (i.e., the default font of betas 1 and 2), "regular" (the current default font), or "bold" (the bold version of the current font).

18. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Good point. But I am talking about from the user's standpoint. Having the option wouldn't hurt.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Could make us waste time cycling through the options trying to decide which one we like best. :p And it's also a good idea to avoid adding more options to Settings if possible, it's getting very cluttered as it is. Yes I know a text size option is already there, but it's buried in the Accessibility menu.

Which is not to say I'd personally mind having this type of font option -- while we are at it, why not let us pick from several type faces? I prefer the one in iOS 6, other people might like Times Roman or Georgia or even Comic Sans... :D

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Point taken, but when have iPhone users ever been able to choose their fonts? People are just getting way out of hand here. If you want to load themes and ****, jailbreak or move to android.

21. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Assuming that is in fact why they changed it. Are you certain it was due to complaints? I think you're giving them too much credit.

22. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Possibly. Or you're giving them too little. I guess there's no way to know.

23. Rogifan Suspended

Rogifan

What evidence do we have the font was changed because of complaints?

24. Gogurt48 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

Evidence? None, as far as I know. I (and others) are making an assumption. But you and johndallas999 are right to point out that our assumption might be wrong. It's quite possible that the change is the result of internal testing and deliberation, and has nothing to do with user feedback.

25. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

The scenarios:

1. Apple responded to complaints.
    2. The change is merely coincidental.

The complaints are the the evidence. The most logical answer is usually the right one.

Also, Apple is actually responding to design complaints submitted by developers. In some cases, they even follow-up with questions. Under Steve Jobs, Apple did not dignify such complaints with responses.