A somewhat stupid question about viruses

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tennyo, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Tennyo macrumors member

Tennyo

I wasn't sure where on the forum to post this, and browsing the FAQ's didn't really tell me what I need to know (that or I just don't know what I'm looking for) so I hope this is okay to post here.

I want to apply for a job at a department store. I went to upload my resume to their site but got an error message saying that the file contains a virus.

I'm on my MacBook Pro, purchased back in 2007, running Snow Leopard, using Firefox, and I used Word for Mac 2004 to write my resume.

I'm so confused. How do my files have viruses?

I mean if I have to type all my info in by hand so be it, but the whole thing just kind of gave me a WTF moment. :/

Is it possible for me to have viruses lying dormant on my Mac? I know they won't run on or hurt MY system, but could I potentially spread them to, say, my dad's computer that runs on XP?

And, is there a work-around to fix this so I can upload files to the websites of potential employers?

Thanks. :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try printing the file to a PDF and sending it that way. Maybe the Office 2004 format is so old whatever system the company is using doesn't like it and automatically flags it as suspicious.

3. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Was the word file a .doc that was originally created on a PC, then just edited on the Mac? (potential for a virus fromnthe creating machine)

Or have you done some fancy editing using a script that the antivirus is mistaking for a virus

Or has the USB stick got a virus from a PC, that has infected your files?

What is for sure is your Mac hasn't got the first in the world for OSX.

As the other poster said unless youbhave been specifically requests the CV in .docx format, I'd send it as a PDF.

4. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I would send a pdf file. Go to print - as pdf

5. Ronald Williams macrumors member

yes its always better to send a pdf file...not only it will be safe for work but also it will retain all the formatting and the resume will appear as you want it to.

6. Tennyo thread starter macrumors member

Tennyo

The file was created on my Mac. I do use a memory stick to transfer files to a PC for printing. This is my original file, though. I have copied it, but this is the original, so I'm not sure how it go infected.

But I'll try doing it as a PDF. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If the file was originally created on your Mac, it simply cannot have a virus. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

8. wpotere Guest

.Doc file could have a worm. Does your PC have scanning software on it? Try copying the file to the PC and scan it. If you don't virus software on your PC that is probably where it came from. Could also be a false positive on their site. You might try chaining to RTF to see if you can upload it.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not if it was created on the Mac, as the OP said.

10. wpotere Guest

If it was created on a Mac but located on the memory stick that he stuck in the PC it is very possible that it was infected by a worm designed to attack .docs if he has no scanner on that PC. Seen this one happen myself.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What does a memory stick have to do with anything? The OP was trying to upload the resume from the Mac, which doesn't involve any memory stick.

12. wpotere Guest

This...

If the original file was on the stick that he is plugging back and forth it could have gotten infected. He doesn't even have to access the actual file from the infected computer for it to spread to it. The act of simply plugging the stick in can infect all of the .doc files.

So to the OP, was the file located on the memory stick you have?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Re-read the OP's posts. They created the file on the Mac and uploaded the original file from the Mac. No memory stick was involved in that process.
    That isn't possible, unless the stick is plugged into a Windows PC. No Windows malware can execute in Mac OS X. If a memory stick is plugged into a Mac, any Windows malware that may reside on the memory stick is inert, unable to execute in the Mac OS X environment.

14. wpotere Guest

Dude, it was only mentioned because he mentioned it. You have no clue what the OP did or didn't do.

Not once did I claim it was possible for it to spread via the Mac, I stated that if it was on the stick and plugged into a PC it could get infected and the file would remain infected even after being plugged back into a Mac, so chill out.

Although I agree with the fact that you are trying to educate people on viruses and Macs, sometimes you can be a bit over the top about it. :rolleyes:

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OP stated exactly what they did. They created the file on the Mac and tried to upload it, when they got the virus message. They also said they use a memory stick to copy files to a PC for printing, but they stated very clearly that the file in question is the original file, not one copied from the PC. Using the facts that the OP posted, it is not possible for the original file that they created to have any malware infecting it.

16. wpotere Guest

Whatever dude... You even stated that it wasn't clear what he did, but you are never wrong so.... :rolleyes:

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quote where I said that. You really should read the posts carefully before commenting on them.

18. wpotere Guest

Oh, I am so sorry I misquoted you.... :rolleyes: I am working and paying more attention to real life.

As for your post, you still have no clue what did or didn't happen to that file. All it takes is once which is why I asked the OP if he, in fact, did. There is still no need for you to berate me for asking a simple question.

Get over yourself.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not berating you. I'm simply correcting misinformation being posted. The OP didn't even bring up the topic of memory sticks. wackymacky brought up that topic and the OP responded that, while they use memory sticks for printing files on a PC, the file in question is the original file which was created on the Mac. No malware is involved at all.

20. wpotere Guest

Then you haven't done tech work in the past as I am simply trying to determine how it was infected. The fact that there is a PC in the mix as well as a thumb drive make it easy for the OP to have put the file in question on the drive so that maybe he could print it? Maybe he copied it on to print it and while on the PC noticed an error and corrected it at the PC then copied that file back to the Mac overwriting the "original". My point is that you have no clue what did or didn't happen to that file. As I said, he could have picked up a virus from the PC or is simply getting a false positive (highly unlikely) from the server he is trying to upload to.

Either way I asked a simple question to see if that was the case. You are not correcting any misinformation, only making a mess of this thread. If there is a PC in this mix, there most certainly can be a worm involved.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

LOL! Only just over 40 years worth.
    It's not infected.
    The only thing any of us can go on is what the OP tells us. They were very clear in telling us what Mac model and OS version they're running, what version of Word, and the fact that they were working with the original file created on the Mac. Based on the information given us by the OP, there is no possibility of malware in that scenario. A PC was not involved.
    Then the file in question wouldn't be the original, as the OP stated it was.
    Actually, that's the most likely scenario.
    There isn't a PC in the mix, as has been clearly stated. The misinformation is your statement that the ".doc file could have a worm." Given the scenario that the OP posted, that is not possible.

There are enough new Mac users freaking out and thinking that malware is to blame when something doesn't work as expected on their Mac. It takes time to re-educate them that malware may be one of the first things to suspect in Windows, but it's the last thing to suspect in Mac OS X. The situation in this thread was clouded by wackymacky bringing up the topic of memory sticks and PCs, since none were involved in what the OP described.

22. wpotere Guest

Hmm.. Well then, the server reporting that it is infected must be wrong. :rolleyes:

You need 40 more....

My bet is that the file was at some point put on the Windows machine where it was infected and then copied or moved back to the Mac. This would be my best guess based on the information provided. Sorry that you don't like that but I think it likely is infected.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly!
    That's your assumption, with no statements by the OP to back it up.
    Nothing in the information the OP provided indicates that the file in question was ever in contact with any Windows computer prior to being uploaded.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, conjecture, assumptions and theories, but nothing that the OP has said in describing the scenario gives any reason to think the file is infected with any malware. The server is giving a false positive.

24. wpotere Guest

And you are making an assumption that the server is incorrect and that the OP has not had that file touch another computer.

That is your opinion, conjecture and theory.

Based on past history of the many users I have dealt with over the years, I'll go with the server being correct and the OP forgetting that he had it on his stick and plugged it into a PC that wasn't protected.

I get the need to defend OSX on the virus front but as I said, you tend to take it way to far and like me, you don't have the whole story.

25. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's based on the facts given by the OP, which is the only information we have to go on. Given the scenario posted by the OP, the only logical explanation is the server is giving a false positive. If the OP comes back and alters the scenario, other possibilities may be more likely. Until that happens, anything else is conjecture, not based on the facts as presented.