A story to escape from all the complaining.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hellishness, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Do not read if you are a negative person, or just want to flame me for trying to add some cheer to this forum.

So I was at the mall yesterday with a friend (Valley Fair, for you Bay Area people). He decided that he was getting a new phone for his birthday. Let's just say this now: he is NOT very technologically inclined. When I suggested he get an iPhone, he said "Why??". So we went to the Verizon booth and saw a Droid (I believe the original Motorola Droid). He was looking at it, mentioning that 'It does everything iPhones can do--It has apps, I can go on the internet, and it even has a real keyboard. What's so great about an iPhone?" I didn't really have a good counter-arguement for that. He was technically correct. I pointed out that the Droid's screen lagged (when you slid your finger to scroll or something, it would take like half a second to catch up), and he agreed that it was pretty bad. So, for like the tenth time, I asked him to go to the Apple Store. This time he agreed, and went to check out the iPhone.

When he held it, the first thing he said was "Wow, this looks cool. Much nicer than the Droid." I added, "Yeah, it's all metal and glass. No crappy plastic." He browsed the internet, went on Facebook, just checking it out. Then he started to play Doodle Jump. I decided to show him the cameras and multitasking. He loved how simple the zoom was (although we never tried the Droid camera), and thought the flash was pretty cool. Then I showed him multitasking. He was amazed. Pause Doodle Jumps, double tap home, check Facebook, be back where you left off on Doodle Jump under a second later. He was sold.

At the end of the day, as we were walking out, he said, "Well, the Droid can do everything the iPhone 4 can, except multitasking (which I believe it can, but I'm not too good with Android), but the iPhone can just do everything so much better!"

BTW, I tried the death grip on two of the iP4's, one wasn't affected at all, on the other one, it started at 4 bars, went up to 5 as soon as I tried to make it drop, then went back to 4 in a few seconds, and didn't go any lower.

And, if you're going to post anything negative, about me or the iPhone 4, please don't do it here.

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

Sounds great. :)
    Always nice converting people to :apple:

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no one denies that the iphone has a slick, easy to use interface

4. Steve Ballmer macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

What if this story involved the iPhone 3GS, which uses the same "crappy plastic" as the Droid? What would have been your counter-argument then?

5. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I just wouldn't have mentioned it as a pro for the iPhone. The 3GS still looks leagues better then the Droid, however.

6. kr00k322 macrumors 6502

Cool story..it's great when you get to show someone something and they really like it.

7. blen macrumors regular

blen

He was sold on Doodle Jump.

Sounds like a sucker.

hehe

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

That's cool, I still don't get the fascination with android, the ui sucks. Only ui that's on par with ios is webos, but it doesn't have hardware as nice as the iPhone.

9. Steve Ballmer macrumors 6502

Steve Ballmer

Well, it's all of a matter of perception. And I don't think it's the UI that draws people to Android, but rather the fact that it's completely free and open source and available on many different devices, instead of locked down to just one.

10. nukztar macrumors member

I own both, they both have strengths and weaknesses. So im not sure why you think its a fascination?

- Android has Tethering, turning your phone into a wifi hotspot, true multitasking, much better notifications than ios, hardware choice.

I love both products, and both are very important to the evolution of our devices. So im very glad that this competition exists so rational people have a choice based on whats right for them.

Irrational apple fanboys or android fanboys however would defend a polished turd without looking at the facts and whats right for their needs.

so Go Android and go Apple. keep innovating and keep giving me an excellent choice.

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's what I like about Android OS.

YOU can make the UI however you want it.

12. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Just for the record, the Motorola Droid is made of metal and glass primarily with a plastic backing covering the antennas (because a metal covering would cause issues, just like on previous iPhones hence their plastic antenna covers).

Just for the record, the Motorola Droid was released to general retail sales on November 9th, 2009 - nearly 8 months ago (only a few days less than 8 full months), so it's considered to be the previous generation of such a product. For a more accurate comparison, one would be comparing the iPhone 4 - which just came out last week - with the coming Droid X, but I'll stop here. 8 months in the cellular phone industry is a very long time indeed.

Just stating facts, nothing more. Nothing negative at all (albeit I can be 100% certain this post will be received/treated as such).

13. phearx macrumors regular

Just for the record you could have just said "just for the record" once.

14. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Isn't everything? :)

Still, I don't care. I want the one with more Gee-Bees.

15. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

That qualifies as a negative statement and should be stricken from this thread! :D

16. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Haha. Na. It doesn't count unless you say it before every assertion.

Otherwise, it's 'off the record'...

17. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I meant the part that an average user cares about (exterior).

It was just the one they had at the Verizon booth. I know it's old, but when you are at a mall with someone who will look at you strangely if you say "Actually this is an unfair comparison since the Verizon phone was 8 months old" all that matters is what you can see then and there.

18. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

For the record, that is also a negative statement, but you're welcome to stay! :D

19. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Wow. This thread is such an escape. I think I'll skip the vacation this summer.

20. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Really now?

21. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The fascination not from you, but mostly the media hype. Now I haven't played with froyo, and I have only played around with 2.1 fir like 10-15 min. but when I did I just wasn't feeling it. Don't get me wrong, the features seem great, but just the ui wasn't there for me. As I said I much prefer something like webos running on nice hardware, and the video I saw of meego looks very promising. In my opinion the ui on those are better than android, but android is the one getting all hype, which is what I don't get. Oh well, and I'm not an apple fan boy, the iPhone is the only apple product I own, and if hp were to come out with a phone with hardware that matches iPhone 4, I would switch to that in a heartbeat. And I completely agree with you that competition is a good thing, we would have the choices we do now if it wasn't for that.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just wanted to point out that DoodleJump has not been updated for iOS 4 and doesn't work with multitasking. So the part where you were playing DoodleJump, then checked FaceBook, then went back exactly where you were in DoodleJump didn't happen.

Just saying...

23. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Nope. I'm just tryin' to stay positive.

Maybe we need some palm trees scattered around the thread, freshen it up a bit.

24. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Not really, it's a statement of fact which would be classified as a positive, just as pointing out a lie would be. Now, if I'd blown it and instead said something like "Well, I double dog dare ya!!!" that would have negative since the expectation is that I'm enticing a dispute...

And you can actually make one post that covers what you'd like to say instead of making multiple ones for each reply. There, that's something positive towards your edjumication...

But anyway... how about those Mets?

25. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

The droid is made out of aluminum and the android os has had multitasking since the iPhone was a baby.