A Strange icon with circular arrows in menubar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Evangelion, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

I just noticed that I have a strange new icon in my Leopard-menubar. It has two circular arrows. If I click on it, it displays three choice: "Never Synchronized .Mac", "Synchronize now" and "Open .Mac Sync Preferences". If I click "Sync now", the arrows rotate for a while, and nothing seems to happen. In Activity Monitor "SyncServer" works for a while, and the goes back to sleep. It seems that the icon is related to .Mac. I'm not a .Mac-subsriber and I have never touched any of the related, and I have no idea where that icon came from. And I have no idea how to get rid of it. Any ideas?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's the menubar widget for iSync. It was there in Panther and Tiger also. Probably before that, although 10.3.4 was the first version of OS X I used. Unless something changed in Leopard, you can get rid of it by opening iSync (in your apps folder) and using the preferences, or by holding the Apple key and dragging it off the menu bar (and then letting go).

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's iSync. I had it show up once, when I didn't enable it shortly after the initial install of 10.5.

You can remove it from the Menu Bar by cmd-dragging it off.

Alternately, it's controlled through the iSync Preferences.

4. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the advice, it was indeed iSync :). I still don't know how that icon got there, since I have never used iSync. iSync-settings did have the "show icon in menubar"-option enabled....

5. lcalcote macrumors newbie