Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runbmp

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Maybe it's just me but your screen looks damaged... on the second screenshot you can see your screen is starting to bend. There also appears to be a significant gap between the screen and watch bezel...

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I inspected my bracelet last night and found that the platinum bracelet I'm wearing on the same arm as my AW was beating the crap out of my watch. I should've know this would happen, as it's inevitable the two metals would bump against each other. I've buffed out the scratches, and the platinum bracelet is now off until I get one of those watch protectors.

Also, it looks like it's possible to scratch the top part of the watch bracelet (the part that connects to the case) while sliding it out of the watch.

Last edited:

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I inspected my bracelet last night and found that the platinum bracelet I'm wearing on the same arm as my AW was beating the crap out of my watch. I should've know this would happen, as it's inevitable the two metals would bump against each other. I've buffed out the scratches, and the platinum bracelet is now off until I get one of those watch protectors.

Also, it looks like it's possible to scratch the top part of the watch bracelet (the part that connects to the case) while sliding it out of the watch.

how did you buff it out?

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
how did you buff it out?

I used a metal polish called silvo, made by the same company that makes brasso. It seems to give the best results for gold and SS. You have to be careful with some of the metal polishes (like the new brasso cream) as they can actually leave microscratches.

mikezmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2014
NH
All my SS watches look like that... I understand you can have it professional buffed out, or there is something you can rub on with a rag that is supposed to help (I didn't watch the video link above... maybe that was covered).

But I've never bothered to try anything on my current watches as they are so cheap... not sure what I am going to do when my AW gets to look like them... I'll have to try something.

good luck sorting it out, let us know what works best.

Just get a polish, ALL polished SS does this. it's not an issue. No need for a professional. Someone posted a link in here with the "how-to-fix"

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
It's too bad Apple didn't come out with a brushed SS version of the AW. Brushed SS does a good job of hiding scratches.

ocabj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Personally, I wouldn't polish because it will eventually wear down the case. But considering most if not all Apple Watch owners will be replacing their watches every few years (whenever the next versions come out), this won't be a big deal.

Note that Cape Cod Cloths are indeed abrasive (mild abrasive solution), so if you rub an Apple Watch with this cloth, just be sure to not rub the glass with it.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Personally, I wouldn't polish because it will eventually wear down the case. But considering most if not all Apple Watch owners will be replacing their watches every few years (whenever the next versions come out), this won't be a big deal.

Note that Cape Cod Cloths are indeed abrasive (mild abrasive solution), so if you rub an Apple Watch with this cloth, just be sure to not rub the glass with it.

It shouldn't scratch Sapphire though. I have the SS

BarmyGnome

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
It shouldn't scratch Sapphire though. I have the SS

The sapphire should be fine. As for the small scratches I'd just live with them and forget about using a polish.

Apple could have easily used a different grade of stainless steel, but they chose to go with the common 316L. For example, using 904L would mean a greater pitting resistance, give a great brushed finish (if they chose to brush the metal) and the high chromium content in the alloy means that many small scratches are filled with a chromium oxide layer.

Last edited:

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Update

I purchased the Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloth:

http://www.capecodpolish.com/collections/all/products/foil-pouch-cape-cod-metal-polishing-cloths

After a decent application on the Stainless Steel case, I was very pleased with the luster and shine the polish achieved on the case. Of course the micro-scracthes were not removed, but appear to be muted and only seen under direct light, but the watch looks amazing under normal light. I am very pleased.

Check out the pictures! I highly recommend!

P.S Depth of Field on the iPhone 6 Plus camera is really good!

Attachments

• IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 261

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
316L on the (HR B) is worked to a max of 79. 904L on the (HR B) is worked to a max of 90.

I have included a link you may find of interest. You will need to search a bit, but you'll find a plethora of information. :apple:

http://www.azom.com

You should read the site you linked--which is actually the site I linked earlier. According to it, 316L is worked to a max of 95 HR B, which seems higher than the 90 you state for 904L (and is supported by what I've linked). That falls in line to what I've been trying to tell you all along... 316L can be harder than 904L, but it depends on the finishing process. 904L is chosen over 316L for corrosion resistance, not hardness.

Here are the articles again (since I don't want to suggest you search and run afoul of MR rules)

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=5052
http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1022

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
These micro scratches are typical. No way to avoid them. Learn to love them of polish them out. The polish DOES work but it takes some rubbing as stainless steel is pretty hard. A scratch, even a micro scratch is like a valley between the mountains and you go to polish the surface till the top of the mountain reaches the valley. It takes time if you wish to do so.

InAustralia

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Update

I purchased the Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloth:

http://www.capecodpolish.com/collections/all/products/foil-pouch-cape-cod-metal-polishing-cloths

After a decent application on the Stainless Steel case, I was very pleased with the luster and shine the polish achieved on the case. Of course the micro-scracthes were not removed, but appear to be muted and only seen under direct light, but the watch looks amazing under normal light. I am very pleased.

Check out the pictures! I highly recommend!

P.S Depth of Field on the iPhone 6 Plus camera is really good!

Your watch turned out great!

Did you need to do anything to protect the watch screen when polishing your watch?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The sapphire should be fine. As for the small scratches I'd just live with them and forget about using a polish.

Apple could have easily used a different grade of stainless steel, but they chose to go with the common 316L. For example, using 904L would mean a greater pitting resistance, give a great brushed finish (if they chose to brush the metal) and the high chromium content in the alloy means that many small scratches are filled with a chromium oxide layer.
If I'm not mistaken 904L has a higher nickel content. Apple published a statement about the potential allergens in their watches and stated they relied on a great deal of testing and research about allergic reactions to different components in choosing materials for the watch. Their goal is to minimize risk of allergic reaction to their wearables. A couple years back they got some bad press for people suffering nickel allergies from handling iPads or MacBooks. There was nickel in the aluminum alloys used then.

I have relatively mild nickel allergy but can wear the stainless steel Apple watch so I'm happy for their choice.

I happen to wear a silver charm bracelet with my Apple Watch. There has been some minor micro scratching...I think...but not enough to stop doing this. My watch looks really good considering I wear it during housework and gardening. And not genteel gardening either, I'm battling the nastiest most alien looking weeds and brambles that look like they came out of a science fiction movie in an effort to reclaim neglected gardens on my new property.

Reactions: Javabird

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
You should read the site you linked--which is actually the site I linked earlier. According to it, 316L is worked to a max of 95 HR B, which seems higher than the 90 you state for 904L (and is supported by what I've linked). That falls in line to what I've been trying to tell you all along... 316L can be harder than 904L, but it depends on the finishing process. 904L is chosen over 316L for corrosion resistance, not hardness.

Here are the articles again (since I don't want to suggest you search and run afoul of MR rules)

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=5052
http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1022

Wow, you're still at it? I'm very impressed. Good job. :apple:

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
This is why I stayed away from the SS Apple Watches because I knew they would scratch. They are basically like the old iPod's with the backs that scratched really easily.
IPOD_SCRATCH.jpg

I have worn SS watches for years and none had ever look like that. Of course the back of the iPod would look like that, it's on Its back most of the time. Compared to the watch being on your wrist. I have had little sratches on my watches, but I get them polish once a year. And they looks as new as the day I bought them. All he has to do is get it polish if he is really bothered buy the little hard to see sratches.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
I got something more than microscratches. Looks like a nice battlescar. How it got there, no idea? Kinda bummed. Just gonna live with it :). It's not the screen.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I have used the SS watch for over 2 weeks, and I don't have any scratches on mine. At least not noticeable without a magnifying glass.

I am VERY VERY careful with my watch, though. To the point where I take it off before putting on long sleeved clothing (anything that will brush against it). Even long sleeved shirts have buttons on the wrist area that can scratch the watch. Wool sweaters, etc. can all scratch the surface. And if you wear tight compression clothing, I would watch out as well.

So if you aren't OCD like me, I can see how you may put on some minor scratching.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.