A tree falls in the woods question about SIRI...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakr100, Feb 10, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

If you have SIRI enabled, but you aren't using it, does the app still drain battery energy?

If YES, is it a major consumer of battery juice or, say, a user along the lines of leaving Wi Fi enabled, which I've noticed doesn't use much power if you are not using Wi Fi at that moment.

Thanks.

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

And just for the record...If a tree does fall in the woods and no one is there to hear it, it does NOT make a noise.

3. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Test it both ways and see for yourself.

5. cynics macrumors G4

I've notice no noticeable consumption. And since I use it for text from time to time I just leave it on.

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The only bit of battery (and by bit, I mean a very little bit) leaving Siri on uses is for the lift-to-speak feature (keeps face proximity sensor active).

Otherwise, no.

And the tree does make a sound.

7. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Ummm, no it doesn't. Not even a crackle if nothing is around to hear it.

8. jon1987 macrumors regular

I don't know why I'm being drawn into this.

The tree does make a sound as it will produce a sound wave. The fact that there is no one there to hear it makes no difference. The sound waves and vibrations still exist.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The tree makes a sound, we just can't hear it.

If person A talks to deaf person B does person A make noise?

10. Gavernty macrumors 6502

there is always something around to hear it, a bird, an animal, an insect. And even if there wasn't it will still make a recordable sound..... are you on crack? Or just thinking too deep into this statement?

11. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

The wave sent through the air by the tree is but a wave until it is converted to a sound in your ear.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Then it will make a sound if something can hear it. It's unprovable like Murphy's law. If something can go wrong it will, so if it can't it won't. No way to disprove this so it's true 100% of the time.

Or even Schroedinger's cat (look it up if you never heard of this). The cat is alive AND dead until we look in the box. Our reality affects the outcome.

Or if you really want a mind **** look up the double slit experiment. This is an experiment where the same light partical is in two different places at the same time UNLESS you watch to see HOW it's doing it then it behaves as you would expect it too.

Cool stuff I like this thread lol Siri rocks!

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

This. So there isn't a "noise" unless someone hears it

14. BowTheMan89 macrumors regular

Mind. Blown.

15. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

The definition of sound is "the sensation produced by stimulation of the organs of hearing by vibrations transmitted through the air or other medium" [dictionary.com] or "the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing" [merriam-webster.com]. Therefore, if no one is around to receive the waves/vibrations created when the tree falls, sound is not produced.

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

You're joking right? The question is "If a tree falls and NOTHING was around to hear it does it make a noise"....The question is hypothetical. That you can't make the leap to assume something so simple for the sake of a question speaks volumes.

And actually, no deep thinking involved on this one. Sound is only in wave form until it is picked up by an "ear". If there is nothing to translate those waves into vibration, there is no audible "noise". No "ear", no audible sound...Simple.

17. hakr100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was channeling George Berkeley, a philosopher who died 250 years ago and didn't even have an Apple II. Leave it to computer geeks to turn a philosophical query into a pragmatic discussion. :D

18. In Like Flynn, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

In Like Flynn macrumors regular

I happen to be an "Expert" in Sound, so let me say what I think.

You are 100% wrong.
    When a tree falls, it produces vibrations called sound waves.
    A sound wave is a noun, (person, place, or thing).
    Whether a human, (or other animal) is around to perceive it, (hear the sound wave) has no effect on it's existance. The sound wave (noun) is still there regardless.

100% correct :)

Sorry my friend, you are 100% :eek:

100% correct :)

You are 100% correct :)

Correct .... When a tree falls, it produces vibrations called sound waves.
    Whether a human, (or other animal) is around to perceive it, (hear the sound wave) has no effect on it's exsistance. The sound wave (noun) is still there regardless.

That's 100% wrong Jack, sorry :eek:
    The vibration/sound wave is a "thing" that is travelling away from the source.
    The sound wave isn't "converved" to anything, it is perceived, (heard).
    The sound wave will always be there whether you, (or a deer), is around to perceive it, (hear it).

So sorry, 100% wrong.
    A "noise" is an unpleasant sound such as a 4 year old screaming.
    Whether someone is around to perceive/hear it has no bearing on it's existance.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong, so sorry.
    When a tree falls, it produces vibrations called sound waves.
    Whether a human, (or other animal) is around to perceive it, (hear the sound wave) has no effect on it's existance.
    The sound wave is still produced by the falling tree, regardless.

The chicken and egg thing may not be able to be proved, but THIS one is simple. :)

Here is a link to help out the guys who were incorrect, enjoy :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound

19. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

If no ones there then you can't prove anything. But it's quantum physics - when a particle is not being observed it turns into a wave. And a wave has different properties to a particle so no noise. But as soon as someone observes a wave it becomes a particle and a noise. So you can't view a wave.

Remember the joke - when is a door not a door? When it's a jar. Different things, different properties.

20. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure why I'm getting involved in this sophistry, but here goes:

Sound it produced by waveform compression of (In this case) air molecules. The sound waves occur whether someone is present to hear them or not.

As far as definitions go...

1 vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person's or animal's ear:

CAN be heard....not MUST be heard. The sound occurs whether it is heard or not.

21. jon1987 macrumors regular

That's not completely true.

Are you saying every partical in the universe transforms into a wave when not observed. That would mean most of it would only exist in wave form with no mass.

Besides you can view a wave. Visible light is a wave. Sound is a wave that makes particals vibrate.

22. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I think it's ajar, not "a jar." :p

----------

But soundwaves themselves are not sounds. Soundwaves are produced regardless, but sound is not if no one is around to receive the waves.

23. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

To try and get the thread back on topic I asked Siri but she's too busy to answer right now. :)

25. jon1987 macrumors regular

She's to busy listening for trees in deserted forests. ;)