A uniquely horrific MacBook problem. I tried praying, now I'm trying this. Pls Hlp!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pismodude2, Apr 24, 2009.

1. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

Ok, I'm on my iPod touch, so I'm going to have to keep this fairly short. I realize that many of you are more experienced with Macs than I am, so I'm hoping you can help. Here goes:

I came to my relative's home for the night (so... now), and I wanted to put a couple tv episode's on my dad's netbook. I plugged in a USB (for power and transfer) 60gb hard drive; and proceeded to transfer the files onto it. I then plugged it into his netbook, which was not able to power the HD. I plugged in a random power adapter that fit, and then BAM! His HP mini turned itself off instantly. Thankfully, I was able to reboot it without any issues. I figured the problem was due to his netbook (craptop that it is) and plugged the HD back into my MacBook to check it. Nothing happened. I tried to plug the power adapter into it as I had done before (edit: it was the USB power adapter it came with this time), and it made my computer turn off just like my dad's netbook. Well, almost just like it. You see, ever since then, I have not been able to turn on my computer in any sense of the word. I can plug it in and feel it get hotter and hotter by the MagSafe (although it will charge the battery still), or I can try and turn it on, which produces even more discouraging results.

When the power button is pressed, nothing happens. Well, maybe just nothing that gives me a hope at a chance of an easy fix. A 'pew' noise emanates from the right hand side, and sometimes the camera light flickers dimly. Also, one USB port is getting power, but not enough to charge my iPod :(

Please help!!! I tried disconnecting the battery and MagSafe, then holding down the power button. I tried to clear the pram upon restart as well, but like I said- nothing happens. Not a lick of feedback, no fans, no buzzing, no clicking, no bong! to signify my success... There's just... Nothing. Help me. Please.

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

possible short circuit that blew out the screen maybe? I think you should take it to the genius bar first thing tomorrow morning. This doesn't look like something you'll be able to easily fix yourself.

3. Apple //e macrumors 6502

you cannot just use any random power adaptor. it has to be the same polarity, wattage, etc.

you blew the hard drive and then you almost blew the hp mini and then you blew your mac. im guessing fried motherboard

the most amazing part (for me) was that you tried to blame it on the one piece of equipment that isnt damaged

well, i hope its just a fuse or something simple and cheapbut honestly you should have known better.........

4. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

why....why....why would you plug in a power adapter that was random....

u fried something, probably your board...

funny how the netbook lived =p

what i cant understand is why you proceeded to attach it to the mac after it shut down the netbook...obviously something wasn't right

5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I also doubt this is something you'll be able to fix yourself. From your story (quite a bit to type on on a Touch!) it sounds like possibly the voltage/amperage of the power you plugged into the drive was off and somehow power went back through the USB connection and fried something there...

First things first; Check that "random power adapter" for what it's output volts/amps are. Just because it fits does not mean it will work. Somewhere on the brick/wallwart it will say something like "Output: 300 milliamps, 5 volts." You always want to use something that matches the input on the device you're powering (it usually has a corresponding label). I *think* that providing too many amps is OK but under-amping it is bad... Someone more knowledgeable than me can answer that; I just stick to exactly the right numbers.

When you do take the Mac into the apple store (if you're under warranty) you might be understandably hesitant to explain what happened...

6. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

Ok, slight change (I'm having trouble editing on the touch): the first time (with the netbook) was without the right power cord, the second time (with my broken MacBook) was with the factory USB power addition. OK, so now are there any ideas?

7. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Why'd you use a extra power cord at all on the Mac (since it powered the drive only moments before)?
    Have you used this extra USB power cord before with the Macbook?
    What's the brand of the hard drive (or enclosure)?
    If this is one of those 2-to-1 USB cables to give extra power, are you sure you had it going the right way?

I still think something is fried and the only way to fix it is to take it in to the shop. :(

8. Apple //e macrumors 6502

you fried the hard drive, almost fried the netbook and then you fried your motherboard by connecting shorted out electronics to it.

usb ports are very sensible. you probably burnt those and quite possibly a bit more.

9. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I used the power cord a few times before, it sped up transfer speeds. As for the brand of the enclosure, it is a CP Technologies Platinum Series 2.5" hard drive enclosure. There are two separate cords- one is a USB port (on the computer) to pinhole one for power, and the other is a USB port (again, on the computer) to mini USB port for both power and data, so there is no way to have anything going the 'wrong way'.

Anyway, I kind of came here on this painfully small iPod browser for help, so does anyone have a solution OTHER than 'go to the shop'?

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

11. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Done and done. Then done 10-20 more times... :(. Any other ideas?

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...take it in to :apple:... or throw it in the bin...

13. Kalison macrumors member

Not even trying to sound like an ass here... but you changed your story once you found out that it was possibly your fault.

You chanced something, and now you have to live with the repercussions of that action. I have seen this many times with people who use random power cords that "fit" not noting polarity or voltage and amps. Or even someone who didn't configure those universal power adapters they sell.

I am sorry though, but the chances are you will have to take it in or call Apple Care/Support and see if they can repair it for you. You have tried everything that is in your power to do.

14. magamo macrumors 6502

It sounds like you taser'd your external HDD and dad's netbook. The netbook managed to survive, but the direct electric shock apparently killed the external. Then again you taser'd your MB through your dead external with a proper cable and probably fried part of your logic board. You might want to fix it yourself, but I think nothing can do if rebooting/resetting SMC didn't work.

I feel sorry for you. I hope Apple will take care of your MB.

15. technojinn macrumors newbie

If it is still under warranty, I would take to an apple store. I would also tell them that one morning, the computer just quit working.:D

16. Sareth macrumors member

The maximum current won't matter but the wrong voltage will. I agree, sounds like the device plus the notebooks have been fried.

17. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Good idea. That way, when they find out, he won't have to worry about having an Apple computer *or* several hundred dollars, as they'll get him for warranty fraud.

18. pismodude2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

It was just the power button actually, but thanks for trying to make me feel good (=sarcasm). The genius at the Apple Store poppedd open the case in the back room and pushed the power manually, and it was fine. We just need the plastic part replaced, the power button somehow came loose. I was off warranty, but it's only a $129 repair. End of thread.