A Very basic question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hampshireman, Dec 29, 2010.

1. hampshireman macrumors regular

Please bear with me, but I have never met this before as it's a new venture for me.

I have made a simple video on my camera and saved it as an avi file. I want to add some text on the video and when I go to Quicktime Pro help it says copy text to the clipboard then paste it to the point on the video where required or words to that effect.

What or where is the clipboard?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Whenever you cut or copy an object (text or other, such as images), it is temporarily stored in the Clipboard.

You can view the Clipboard contents by going to Finder > Edit > Show Clipboard.

In the QuickTime example, the instructions mean for you to select the desired text, then Copy (Edit > Copy, or command-C).

3. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

OK great thanks I think I can understand that. The question should have included - where do I type out the text to be able to copy it?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

5. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry Dave, I am the ultimate dummy. Where is that? I have got Word and Photoshop etc although I hate Word and try to avoid it. Don't do much text generally.

Let's say I open Quicktime, I can't see it in the menu for instance.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Text Edit should be in your Applications folder. A quick trick to get it is using Spotlight. Just start typing Text... and you should see it listed as an app.

7. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Ok have found it in the apps folder, will now attempt to use it, but maybe later, as have jus got in from a prot and stilton party etc etc. tanks

8. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again, managed to get some text done and added, although it comes out in a straight line across the top and disappears very quickly.
    I think there must be a way of creating a page of text, which I want to do in one case and will dig in and seek, otherwise I could be back here.

9. shwc macrumors regular

A suggestion:

Adding text to a movie, splicing clips together, adding stills, etc. can all be done very easily in iMovie--with different special effects to choose from.

Imovie is part of Apple's iLife sweet of applications (iMovie, iTunes, garageband). ILife usually comes pre-installed on new computers from Apple (or at least it used to be). IMovie is geared more toward the type of editing that you are trying to do than is quicktime pro, both will work however.

10. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again. I have managed it, but it's only partly satisfactory.

My Mac is an old G4 I bought from a studio in Devon who were upgrading about 10 years ago, via ebay, loaded with all the software etc. At £325 it was a bargain, complete with original packaging etc. It has never let me down, but I am starting to think G5 and only a used one due to the expense.

I am not sure about ILife, fairly certain I don't have it.