Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
While you are covered by law to get a refund on your iPhone within 14 days, you are only covered for SEVEN days by the major networks, before they will start charging you for cancelling your contract.

So if you're not happy, and bought your iPhone on contract last Thursday, you better return it tomorrow or else you'll be hit with fees from the network.

(I write this not to inflame angry fanbois who denounce the possibility of any faults (they're all faulty!) but to alert the general UK public who planned to wait up to 14 days (in the hope of a fix) before returning.)

Haters / people in strong signal areas (that don't leave their apartment for fear of catching swine flu):

haters-gonna-hate.gif

darkip

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Just called up Tesco and they confirmed that I have 14 days to return for a full refund and there would be no cancellation charge. The only thing you do have to pay is for and minutes/texts/data you've used.

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Well Vodafone, Orange and O2 all confirmed you have 7 days before they charge. Before 7 days they don't charge anything. I would it in writing if you do plan to return between day 7 and 14...

Also, Vodafone don't charge for the minutes / text / inet you've used providing it was part of your contract allowance..

Bclark1

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
O2 have a 14 day cooling off period. I took my 3G back last year, after they announced the 3GS, 11 days later and didn't pay a penny.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
While you are covered by law to get a refund on your iPhone within 14 days

There is no such law. The only thing that comes close is the Distance Seller Regulations which give 7 days but only applies to orders online or by phone. In store you have no right to a refund what so ever unless the item is faulty.

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
There is no such law. The only thing that comes close is the Distance Seller Regulations which give 7 days but only applies to orders online or by phone. In store you have no right to a refund what so ever unless the item is faulty.

Ermm yes, and they are faulty... ;)

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Then the limit isn't 14 days, it is a reasonable time (which isn't defined). You are just making stuff up

You won't get out of a contract, and get a full refund on a product sold in the UK if it goes faulty after 14 days. They'll attempt to fix it, and with the current stock levels, you'll end up phoneless for weeks - paying a stupidly expensive contract you'll have to fight to get compensation for.

cw2k7

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008

The Consumer Credit Act which gives a 14 day cooling off period for credit agreements.

That doesn't apply to mobile contracts as they are service agreements not credit agreements.

Xenoxide

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
Fyi, O2 and Tesco have 14 days, but Orange have no cooling off period at all if you bought instore.

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
If the phones are FAULTY, then you don't need to take into account a "cooling off" period. You just need to make sure you take your phone back before they get more in stock, as they may offer a repair / replace service instead of refunding you. Also, the networks will most certainly charge a fee for cutting off after 7 days (some 14 days).

Worth checking anyway...

wlf

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Just called up Tesco and they confirmed that I have 14 days to return for a full refund and there would be no cancellation charge. The only thing you do have to pay is for and minutes/texts/data you've used.

Something to watch out for is that you will be charged the normal rate for any data used - 4 pound per meg on Tesco so could be a very substantial bill.

The sales guy I got mine through said someone had returned a 3GS and had used .5 gig of data, which came to 2000 pounds! needless to say he kept the phone.

biffarino

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
i took my orange iphone4 back on monday due to poor coverage rather than any problems with the phone.

neither orange or phones 4 u wanted to know at first, so had to do a bit of digging into statutory rights etc.

ReflexReact

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I was slightly worried Vodafone would send me a massive bill for my usage... but if they did, i'd take them to court!

creatz

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
Due to the signal problem regardless of any of these 14 day 7 day or whatever
O2 Store in Swindon have offered me a replacement handset or a full refund

biffarino

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Something to watch out for is that you will be charged the normal rate for any data used - 4 pound per meg on Tesco so could be a very substantial bill.

The sales guy I got mine through said someone had returned a 3GS and had used .5 gig of data, which came to 2000 pounds! needless to say he kept the phone.

this concerns me.

i bought the phone on orange on the 24th and until cancelation monday had used about 90mb of data.

in a phone call to orange on monday though, i was told i would be given the first months line rental free because of the poor signal problems (coverage, not phone) i was having.

i really do not want a data bill.

RobMoss

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009

...at £50 per minute, £35 per text and £100 per MB of data! :p

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
In uk we are also covered by the law that states that if a product is not satisfactory then we can get a refund.
I can't remember which act it is, I will try looking it up for you lot now.

This site seems pretty good: http://whatconsumer.co.uk/the-sale-of-goods-act/
If you really want explore abit. Seems to have all the info needed in my quick browse.

Sorry this only applys to pay as you go phones. Ignore me. *facepalm*

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Also can one of you clear something up for me.
When I finally upgrade my phone (august is when I'm eligible for early upgrade) can I keep my old handset? Or will O2 force me to give them it? I don't want to give away my 3GS.

Abbsta

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'm on Vodafone. When does the 7 days start from? When I did the upgrade on Thursday (release day) or when I actually got the handset which was yesterday (Tuesday)?

biffarino

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
Also can one of you clear something up for me.
When I finally upgrade my phone (august is when I'm eligible for early upgrade) can I keep my old handset? Or will O2 force me to give them it? I don't want to give away my 3GS.

you don't have to give them your phone when upgrading. well, i've never heard of that.

i had to give mine back on monday when terminating within seven days, but you've run your contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.