A week with iPhone X. Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsthetouch, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:02 AM.

1. itsthetouch macrumors member

I was very skeptical when I first got it last weekend, the Face ID, the off color of the screen at different angles, the notch, the multitasking etc

Now after a week with it, I’ll say the notch doesn’t bother me one bit. I love the screen. But I’m coming from a 6S so people from plus might continue to complain. The color and blue tint at an angle? Barely notice anymore because now I’m not looking for it like a crazy person.

BUT Face ID? Ehhhh. Still not very good. It’s failed multiple times and me having to input the passcode instead. It’s fantastic if you’re holding it in front of your face but other then that? It’s crapshoot if you get it to unlock. Don’t tell me redo the scan or anything, it’s just not very effecient.

And the multitasking of showing all your open apps I don’t love. Doesn’t seem as fast to maneuver. But that can be on me for my personal choice of turning on reduce motion. Does seem smoother to operate with motion on.

So all in all, I love it! Wish unlocking the phone was easier but I deal with it. Worth 1000? Eh. But is any phone really worth that much? There’s plenty of great options at many diff price points. That’s just personal preference.

Now does anyone know when the hell google is gonna update their damn apps to be compatible?!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:05 AM ---
    Oh and reaching to the top right for control center absolutely sucks.

2. 1096bimu macrumors member

1096bimu

At this point I'm pretty sure Google is intentionally sabotaging the iPhone X launch, they made their Youtube app drain battery on the same day, and took them several days to fix, and they never release real update notes. For all we know they made an update just to make it drain battery, because "iPhone X comparability" was already in the app.

And of course there was also the "bug" that demonetized every single iPhone X video on Youtube.

So you bet they're gonna try to drag it out as much as possible before they update their apps. I just don't use any of them so I don't really care.

I loved the notch from the beginning, I still think it's great and in fact it's better than not having it. At least in portrait mode. Not a big fan for landscape but it doesn't bother me either.

Face ID had all the drawbacks I expected, but also had some advantages I did not expect. Like logging in to websites and apps are much easier with FaceID. I have a Samsung wireless charger that stands the phone up so it unlocks right away I don't have to pick it up.

3. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

But you’re not always gonna have it on the stand. I wish it would just unlock right into the home screen and eliminate the swipe up. Would feel a whole lot faster that way.

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I think they do the swipe up to give you a chance to view notifications. But I agree that they could at least add something in settings to give us this feature.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

That wouldn't work. It would jump right past the notifications. Way to irritating if it jumped to the home screen.

Edit: Someone beat me to it. :)

6. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Ehhhhhh im still going through my paces with it honestly. I love everything about the device and I think I have finally got use to its size coming from the 8+. The two things that are bothering me a little is the yellow tint on the screen and also the battery life compared to the 8+. I'm just not getting this great battery life that everyone is talking about and I feel I was getting way better on the 8+. Now I know you're dealing with a better display but still. Like I said, I like everything about the device but im still a little skeptical on the battery.

7. orev macrumors 6502

Reduce motion definitely affects the app switcher and I would say it is too slow. With motion enabled, there is momentum you can use to flip through apps, but reduce motion removes that completely.

8. bogie66 macrumors newbie

bogie66

Again, it would be good to have the option, I imagine a lot of us have our important notifications sent to our Apple Watches, when I look at my iPhone screen, I would like it to just go to the home screen

9. SR71 macrumors 68000

Curious, but are you resetting Face ID often? It should be learning from failed authentication attempts when you type in your passcode (after it fails to scan your face) so that it doesn't fail in that same situation again. In the past 10 days of using Face ID mine has only gotten more and more reliable to the point where now it unlocks at pretty much any angle I put it at and with near perfect reliability. It hasn't failed once in the past few days, so I'm surprised to see that you mention yours hasn't gotten better.

10. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

A little off topic, but why do people use the YouTube app? Why not just watch videos in Safari? Add in a content blocker and you can watch ad free to boot.

11. xsimplyjosh macrumors regular

i got around the bolded bit with assistive touch [NOT reachability] i configured a 3d touch on the assistive touch icon to pull down control centre. and it works like a charm for me :)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 14, 2017 at 8:20 AM ---
    bit like touchID on 6S/7 being "too fast"... for some haha. same thing but just slightly different.

12. LD Curb macrumors regular

LD Curb

I love my X. Face ID has worked flawlessly for me. I have no complaints at all. It's my favorite phone of all time.

13. urkel macrumors 68030

Yay and Nay.

Switching from the 7+ to X has taught me a few things
    - Apple really did get it right the first time with the Home Button design
    - TouchID is under-appreciated
    - Apple has been holding back (App sliding could easily be implemented on ALL iOS devices)
    - Larger screen, smaller phone is great
    - FaceID is amazing tech that Apple should Add (but not replace) existing security options

But most of all my takeaway is this:
    Apple needs a visionary. Having a designer and an accountant is not enough.

I like the X. I adapted to the gestures and got ever the learning curve. So if I decide to keep it I will be fine. But today I went back to the 7+ and it just feels like home. And I think that is because of the groundwork that got it through ten years, so the idea of tipping over that tower for the X seems like a bad idea. I'm really hoping we do get an iPhone 9 that has the same traditional layout but gets the body adjustments it deserves.

14. Suspenders macrumors member

Suspenders

Same.

15. USC_Gamecock macrumors regular

USC_Gamecock

It should be a yay. I'm pretty sure there's a guy claiming he got laid because of his iPX in another thread I just posted in.

16. itsthetouch thread starter macrumors member

Nope. I’ve reset it only once. I’m not saying it fails when it’s at my face. But not every situation is like that. I could be laying down, reaching down to my phone, when it’s in the table and I’m sitting down...gotta use passcode.
    Just not as effecient as TouchID. I’ve entered my passcode more often then I ever did on my 6S.

17. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

Very well said and I feel the same way. I think we are so use to the older design and after all these years they have perfected it with the 8/8+ and it’s hard to let go if it because it’s much appreciated. With the X we are starting that whole wheel over again. TouchID has grown so much and it’s best and I honestly don’t find anything about it old and a thing of the past since dealing with FaceID.

18. Mad4clay macrumors regular

Ditto!

19. clarencek macrumors member

I just returned my X and picked up a 8+.
    There were two reasons for the change.
    1. While the technically has a bigger screen if you compare text and content side by side it actually shows less text. I compared two articles in Apple news - same text size setting and the X showed about a paragraph less text due to the narrower width.
    2. A bunch of my apps were not optimized for the X. I know hat will change over time but if my experience with the plus was any indicator it will take months for all the apps to update.

So I’m sitting out this round and will wait for the X+ next year.

20. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

8+ is an excellent phone and imo the most complete iPhone of the 2. X is a great phone don’t get me wrong but it has its shortcomings and isn’t perfect. I hold both in my hand everyday and it’s a hard choice deciding which one to keep.

21. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

If you just push side button and swipe up while screen is just coming on it does open right to the home screen, you don't need to wait for the lock icon to unlock. Or for that matter just tap and swipe all at same time and again opens to home screen by passing the notifications. If you want to see them, of course just press side button or tap screen and wait.

As far as face id goes, I believe it has gotten better just over the course of the week or so that I have used the phone.

Hardest adjustment coming from 7+ is the size and the landscape orientation of some apps. I wish the X acted more like a smaller plus, then a larger regular in this regards.

Next year maybe we will see a plus version...

22. iPhoneXman macrumors newbie

Having the phone sit in my car's cd holder, the FaceID does not reach far enough to read my face so I have to type in code each time... Annoying. Also the notch is fine in portrait but gets in the way in landscape.. Can't ignore it on full screen mode. I'm 50/50 on it at the moment. FaceID hasn't always worked when looking at it.

23. urkel macrumors 68030

That is whats so frustrating with the idea that "TouchID is dead". Go ahead and grab an old iPhone or iPad, Swipe TouchID Left or Right and imagine quick app switching like on the X. It feels very fluid.

TouchID is already a TouchPad so implementing Swipe gestures (R/L for app switching, U/D for Notification and CP) turn that "outdated button" into a unique and useful part of a modern smartphone. I dont like the feel of holding my 7+ again but with TouchID and gestures that made sense then my work efficiency has gone back to normal. (Hovering somewhere around 10%. Dont tell my boss.) :D

24. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Face ID has actually grown on me a bit (even though it doesn't work at times). Granted I still have times where I wish the X had Touch ID, but such is life. I'm actually prepping my 7 for sale and I powered it on to reset it back to factory and comparing it to my X, and I said to myself that the bezels just take away so much from the device.

25. SR71 macrumors 68000

Ah, I understand now. I misread your previous post, sorry about that.