A WiFi Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanb914, Aug 1, 2010.

1. ryanb914 macrumors member

Is there anywhere or anything, that will let me see where the WiFi I am using is coming from?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do you mean if its coming from behind you, infront of you etc?

not that im aware of, that would require basic triangulation.

3. ryanb914 thread starter macrumors member

Like if I could see a map, and it showed where the WiFi was coming from.

4. curlefry macrumors newbie

curlefry

If you look at the top right of your screen on the Menu Bar, the signal icon (in between the Bluetooth and Volume iconss) should be lit up if you're connected to WiFi. Click the icon and it will tell you the name of the network you're connected to (a check mark next to it). If you want to pinpoint exactly WHERE the signal is coming from, you would have to know the physical location of the router. (I don't know any other fancy ways to locate where the signal is being transmitted from. :p)

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

This doesn't really answer the question, as much as bring up another: if you don't know where your WiFi is coming from, how can you have permission to use it?

Back to finding the location: all you can really do is walk around with a WiFi detector (or just your MBP) and track by signal strength (without getting into using actual direction finding equipment). I assume there's nothing unique about the network's name (SSID), but if so, it'll help if it comes to knocking on doors.

6. FnuGk macrumors regular

you will need to have 3 recieving points in order to know where the signal is comming from. that is not possible with a single computer

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i think i tried a program like that once. it reminded me of those mobile phone apps that you pay $10 for and they dont even work :p

i dont think you will find the answer to this.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can direction-find with fewer than three receivers. There are other methods of direction finding than what you are picturing with three. Ask any T-hunt or ARDF (Amateur Radio Direction Finding) fan.