Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Folks,

There is a feature in Windows XP/Vista that I want in Mac OS X: I want to be able to grow/shrink windows from any corner. Is anyone aware of a utility that provides that functionality?

Thanks,

S-

dragonmantek

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
New York
you should be satisfied with being able to do it from the bottom right corner.

i don't know of any programs or utilities to help with it. it would probably have to be written into OS X, since it would have to apply to every window openable.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
you should be satisfied with being able to do it from the bottom right corner.
Excuse me?! Why should I be "satisfied with being able to do it from the bottom right corner"???? You don't get to tell me what I should or shouldn't be satisfied with!!

i don't know of any programs or utilities to help with it. it would probably have to be written into OS X, since it would have to apply to every window openable.
Well of course! You would have to patch the Window Manager....

S-

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Excuse me?! Why should I be "satisfied with being able to do it from the bottom right corner"???? You don't get to tell me what I should or shouldn't be satisfied with!!

Then go back to Windows and be satisfied there. Next you'll be complaining about the green button and how it doesn't full-screen a window.

OS X doesn't work like that, and part of using the OS is getting used to how it does things.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
This is similar to the one button mouse and menu at the top of screen. MacOS does things differently to Windows. The one button mouse makes sense because many people learning to use a computer for the first time can't understand why one click isn't the same as another click (frustrating trying to teach my dad to right click rather than left click for instance). The menu and window resize are both muscle memory things. When I first used a Mac I found the lack of resize from any edge a pain coming from Linux where resizing is even more flexible than on Windows. However, these days I just 'know' I need to go to the bottom right corner. Same with window maximisation. Windows is set up for users who focus on a single app, Macs are great for multitaskers.

Anyway, if a window isn't big enough, click the green button and it will be made as big as it needs to be to show the contents.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Wow, the OP was just asking if there was a utility to be able to resize the window. Not asking to be bashed in the face. Not understanding why such the hostilities. :confused:

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Think of it this way; would you want it on a 1920x1200 or 2650x1600 screen?

OS X is built to multitask. You're supposed to have more than one window open and visible at once to do more at once. :)

at times, i do

i cant discipline myself to not check im's and not to quit im programs or whatnot sooooooo i have to full screen it myself.

you know, for maximum concentration lol

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
I'd love to be able to Cut + Paste, that's so much more useful and used more frequently in my opinion. And who says that we should just get used to how OS X works? Not that the right sided window-stretch bothers me, but if something helps users to achieve greater functionality then why not ask for it? If users just sat there accepting that any OS 'just was' then there'd never be any demand for new features or any progression.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Wow, the OP was just asking if there was a utility to be able to resize the window. Not asking to be bashed in the face. Not understanding why such the hostilities. :confused:

I agree :)

It's normal for some people to treat someone that way if they want a Windows type feature on a mac. Personally I think it was a reasonable question to ask.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Then go back to Windows and be satisfied there. Next you'll be complaining about the green button and how it doesn't full-screen a window.

OS X doesn't work like that, and part of using the OS is getting used to how it does things.
Back off, dude.

I wanted to know if a utility existed to add a feature to Mac OS X that I like in Windows. That doesn't mean I am complaining about anything or that I need to get used to how the Mac OS does anything.

I have been using Apple computers since 1979. My first experience with a Macintosh was in late December 1983. I worked at Apple Corporate for 9 years. What's your resume again???

I am not so blind as to think that Leopard is the perfect OS with all the best features.

S-

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Back off, dude.

I wanted to know if a utility existed to add a feature to Mac OS X that I like in Windows. That doesn't mean I am complaining about anything or that I need to get used to how the Mac OS does anything.

Truthfully, it was a little over.

You do have to get used to the way OS X does things to an extent, however.

Having worked at Apple, you probably know better than any of us that our complaints for new features do not matter NEARLY as much as Apple's willingness to care.

Which they don't. :(

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
Now that I think of it, is there any chance/news that Cut+Paste might actually be a reality. It's such a little thing, but it's the only thing about Windows that I genuinely miss. I hate having to drag my files all around my documents folder. is there a way around it- am I missing a trick here?

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I agree :)

It's normal for some people to treat someone that way if they want a Windows type feature on a mac. Personally I think it was a reasonable question to ask.

I can understand the normal reaction if the OP had said "I HATE LEOPARD, I CAN'T RESIZE THE WINDOW LIKE I CAN IN WINDOWS!" then I would understand the blow ups, but geese, do some meditation or something. I saw the blood pressure just skyrocket on this thread. :eek:

This is similar to the one button mouse and menu at the top of screen. MacOS does things differently to Windows. The one button mouse makes sense because many people learning to use a computer for the first time can't understand why one click isn't the same as another click (frustrating trying to teach my dad to right click rather than left click for instance). The menu and window resize are both muscle memory things. When I first used a Mac I found the lack of resize from any edge a pain coming from Linux where resizing is even more flexible than on Windows.
Regular windows resize from any edge, but the corners will resize at any angle. Also lower left corner has the largest "grab" area.
However, these days I just 'know' I need to go to the bottom right corner.
rather interesting that these "complaints" about accessibility reverse the complaints that on mac, app's menu commands are in that top bar, instead of in menus in each app's window.
Same with window maximisation. Windows is set up for users who focus on a single app, Macs are great for multitaskers.
IME, the reverse, since Win has strongest app interop. but whatever :) Users adopt methods that work best for their options.
Note to UI devs (who already know this anyway :) ) ... try to offer quick-switch toggle among few UI "modes": minimal, easy, "power user", manual config. Install default should be the 1buttonpuck mode. more advanced users will find the UI toggle.

Anyway, if a window isn't big enough, click the green button and it will be made as big as it needs to be to show the contents.
Yes, that can be handy, especially with the toggle-back ability.
There are a lot of explorer addons that mess with the standard file-open dialog. Search for "places bar", FileBx, etc. IIRC, window blinds was the first well-known addon to allow mac-like window shade "pop" effect.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Excuse me if don't understand this desire for Windows-style "cut and paste"

Tell me, what's easier? Grabbing a document, dragging it to, say, Documents in the sidebar, holding it there for a second until Documents opens, repeating the springloaded folders down the folder hierarchy, releasing to drop it in the destination. If it's on the same volume, it'll be "cut and pasted". If it's on a different volume it'll be copied but you can move it if you press the command key while releasing.

Or, selecting a document, right clicking it, selecting cut (or going to Explorer menu and selecting cut, or typing Ctrl-x... which most people don't do), doubleclicking "My Document", double clicking down the hierarchy, going to the Explorer menu, and selecting paste (which is what 90% of people do instead of ctrl-v).

OS X's version is at least as useful, and I miss springloaded folders when I use Windows.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Cutting is way easier =/. You have to use windows to realize what its like. I use the cut feature alot. I mean whats wrong with having both? Windows has Cut and Copy. I think its a really useful feature, and it's much easier then dragging, thats actually the first thing that bothered me when I used OSX.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Excuse me if don't understand this desire for Windows-style "cut and paste".

I think one big issue surrounding the lack of cut and paste is that copy and paste works just fine. If you're doing a bunch of copying and pasting using the keyboard, and then you want to cut and paste, for some it's a lot easier/more intuitive/whatever to stay in the same mindset and go Command-X...although you can't. It would be nice to have this feature-set "complete".

The most annoying thing about moving files around in OS X is when a window which has any part off the screen MOVES to reveal the entirety of the window as you're dragging and dropping. I have accidentally dragged things into wrong folders TOO many times because of that. It would be nice to be able to turn it off somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.