A1278 cofee spill, bad keyboard, burned IC on mainboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Stokholm, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Stokholm macrumors newbie

Hello All

Looking at my father-in-Laws MacBook Pro unibody A1278 unibody. He accidently spilled cofee onto the keyboard.

The computer seems to run just fine now 1 month later, however the backlit on the keyboard is gone and many keys on the keyboard are not working correctly.

On the mainboard a single IC is burned, can you help me to identify it please:

[​IMG]

2. Stokholm, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013

Stokholm thread starter macrumors newbie

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not easily identifiable, and at any rate, you'd have to desolder and do a proper reflow solder for that specific component. Assuming they sell you just one (and the proper one).

4. Stokholm thread starter macrumors newbie

I can do the soldering myself, but I was hoping someone had a logic board diagram or a Picture showing the print on the component.... it looks like a larger version of the component just to the right of it - but I need to know the correct value.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Schematic of the logic board only Apple has, as well as the exact BOM. We can guess, (go to ifixit to a full resolution picture of the logic board needed) but it will be hard to be sure of the exact component.

6. Stokholm thread starter macrumors newbie

Great answer from Oldturkey at IFixIt:

"Stokholm, that is reference designator C6603 and is a 100UF 20% 6.3V TANT capacitor. The case is a A L1 and something like this or on here should work. the capacitor is not part of your keyboard backlight, but of the Speaker Amp circuit. Hope this helps, good luck."

Thank you all for help.

7. Stokholm thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE:
    I received a new keyboard and backlight, it all work very well now. I haven't replaced the cap yet, as I am still waiting for it to be delivered.

Can it be dangerous to use the computer with the burned cap?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depending on what the burnt cap is used for. If it's for audio, the most that could happen is your speakers stop working or you damage onboard audio chipset. Either one is a bad outcome. I would refrain myself from using it until I get the replacement cap.

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Before you replace the capacitor, check the built in speakers for shorts with a multimeter.