Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Not disappointing as such. But Geekbench gas always been biased in favour of Apple Devices.
not even close. Geekbench lets any idiot run a test and add it to the database without adjusting for obvious errors. just do a search on any processor Intel, Apple, AMD, notice all the reasonable scores, the no way that is too high scores, and the boy that is really, really slow scores. Not sure if people maliciously add false data points, or they are running Geekbench using unfair conditions, heavy loads, heavily throttled, etc, mislabelled. happens with souped up i9s that you know are faster than an old intel processor from 10 years ago, to AMD's latest, and of course Apple's

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
As for multi-core performance, there are notable speed gains. The A16 earned a multi-core score of 5455, up 17.1 percent from the 4659 score earned by the A15 chip.
There are significantly higher MT scores for A15 out there. When I looked this morning, 5455 was about 11% higher than the higher A15 MT scores.

Reactions: synonys

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2017
Considering that it’s on the 4nm node, the power efficiency should be the biggest gain here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0924487

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
What a time we live in, a close to 20% improvement in processing speed is made to sound unimpressive.. There was a time when Intel took 2-3 generations to achieve 20% speed increase!!
The last time we saw an Intel jump that big was Sandy Bridge in 2011 too.

Realistically, people may poo-poo this, but you have to look at the cumulative jumps for most people. I imagine the bulk of buyers are coming from X/XS/11s which have a much bigger performance and RAM gap than 13 to 14.

Sean.

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2021
I’m interested in the GPU improvements over my 12PM this time around and the heat management for gaming with max graphic settings at 60 or 120 fps.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Point taken. But until now, it seemed like performance and power consumption improved hand in hand. Something like 20-40% improvement per year. And batteries must have improved and continually improving.
Last year was kind of an outlier with the 40%-50% increase from the a14. For example, the boost from a13 to a14 was around 15%, a12 to a13 was around 20%, a11 to a12 was around 15%. This year is very much inline with what we had before.

Battery tech don’t really improve that much or that quickly aside from getting slightly bigger. The chip and display efficiency is what brings about most of the battery life boosts.

Last edited:

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Had anybody since the iphone X ever even questioned how fast their phones processing speed is? I haven't, the one thing that irks me is the stupid wifi dropping and that down to my ISP and not the phone.
I do when the phone doesn’t load a webpage. It turns out it’s not the hardware but the software as always since Scott Forstall left. You need to reset the network configuration on the phone

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Wow. Apple is really trying to convince me not to upgrade. Well done, Apple. No usb c. Usb 2.0 speeds. 6GB RAM. It’s 2014 android!
While I agree more RAM would be nice, please give me a scenario where 6GB in the iPhone has been problematic? I’ve been using my phone for a year and haven’t noticed any issues. Apps stay open for a long time. No slow downs, etc.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
There are significantly higher MT scores for A15 out there. When I looked this morning, 5455 was about 11% higher than the higher A15 MT scores.
You should keep in mind that the a15 is also in other devices where the thermals/clockspeeds/GPUs are very different. testing environments can also change the scores quite a bit so the outlier high/low scores tend to be thrown out in these comparisons. For example, if you run the benchmarks while submerging the iPhone in ice you would probably see a sizable increase over typical room temperature.

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Things I have never said: "My iPhone isn't fast enough" "I wish my iPhone could run my compute-intensive Monte Carlo simulations and other workloads on my iPhone"

Things I say all the time: "I love that it just works and lasts all day" "I am glad my iPhone isn't burning hot" "Wow, glad that even in direct sunlight the system isn't thermal throttling"

So, at this point, especially with the variety of very specific and purpose-built ASICs and coprocessors on the SoC for things like image processing, audio rec, video signal processing, etc, the CPU isn't needing to do heavy compute, but it needs to do light-medium compute VERY efficiently in a broad gamut of temperatures with minimal conversion of input power into thermal waste and to handle harsher thermal conditions (e.g. Space Black iPhone in a car mount sitting on my dash driving on a summer day or sitting outside with it sitting on a table I don't want to get the "iPhone needs to cool down" message just because I forgot to put it in the shade).

These benchmarks are great for geekery, but people who take these and say "there's no year over year improvement" I think are missing the point as to how the vast majority of people actually use their phones.

For those doing Monte Carlo simulations on their iPhones, yes, you are right, what a ****** year over year improvement for you. For the rest of us, it actually drives a lot of real improvements.

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Honestly this is a pretty good speed improvement, but I’d say a good chunk of noticeable improvement is going to be from the increased memory bandwidth and lower power usage (less heat, longer sustained performance). Also a lot of the improvements are to co-processing cores that Geekbench doesn’t measure.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
You should keep in mind that the a15 is also in other devices where the thermals/clockspeeds/GPUs are very different. testing environments can also change the scores quite a bit so the outlier high/low scores tend to be thrown out in these comparisons. For example, if you run the benchmarks while submerging the iPhone in ice you would probably see a sizable increase over typical room temperature.
I wouldn't exactly call the higher A15 scores I'm talking about outliers but yes they are at high side of the range. However, the A15 MT score quoted in this thread is a bit on the low side.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
You can’t get everything magically. And even yet, this is the fastest smartphone chip in the world. I don’t even think the old A15 has been passed yet. So 17% improvement on the fastest phone chip in the world is extremely impressive, IMO.
The fastest competing mobile processor, the Snapdragon 8+, is roughly on par with the A13, so Apple is pretty far ahead in this area.

Reactions: MauiPa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.