A2DP!!! Finally!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by green94, Mar 17, 2009.

1. green94 macrumors regular

First post - I've been lurking this site for awhile. But I can't tell you how happy I am that they finally added this. What an update, I can't wait to get my hands on this!

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

Amen! Others were complaining about cut and paste and MMS, but I couldn't care less about either of those. What I REALLY wanted was to get rid of the annoying cord! This will make working out at the gym a much more pleasant experience. :)

3. lordhamster macrumors 6502

meh.

I had zero interest in this. However if they start making more car stereos with A2DP this would be quite cool. I only have one device that supports this right now... my ski helmet. I'll definitely give it a whirl, but I doubt I'll use this function very much. Maybe for listening to the occasional audiobook on my way up the ski-lift.

4. CADer macrumors 6502

CADer

HECH YEAH! When I herd that I was like for reals I gave up on it and now I am kinda stoked again!! it is all about the A2DP and the Motorola S9 HD's - just too bad I don't have the HD version!!

5. Requiemm macrumors regular

I got the Jaybird Bluetooth headset for Christmas and mostly used them at home since the adapter kept me from charging the phone. Now my phone will be able to sit in it's dock on my desk at work while I use my headset wirelessly.

A2DP was the #1 thing I wanted, woohoo it's Christmas in March - June/July/whenever

6. green94 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I actually got the Jaybird as well in December but returned it because of a few issues:

-the annoying bluetooth adapter sticking out of the iphone
    -sound quality left much to be desired
    -wire behind the head was a bit tight

But I know I had read that they were releasing a new headset in April, so I'll definitely be picking this up once it comes out. Can't wait!

That would be awesome. I know newer cars already have this installed, that would be great though.

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

Never known what the big deal is with A2DP .. its not like the sound quality is that great anyway... always found them to be somewhat lacking.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Some people are willing to sacrifice some sound quality for freedom from headphone cables. I'm not sure if I am, personally, but I can certainly see the appeal.

9. ptsube macrumors 6502

It's more about the convenience. If I want sound quality I will use my Shure's of my Phillips HD1500.

10. slicecom macrumors 68020

iPod's and iPhones have never been known to produce good sound quality; they're satisfactory for on-the-go music, and so are A2DP headsets.

There's a huge difference in quality when plugging my AKG's into the soundcard on my computer (better), headphone amp (best) and my iPhone (garbage). Luckily, with lower quality headphones, you can't tell much of a difference.

11. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

Maybe, but you add another cord to charge them...

12. slicecom macrumors 68020

I don't have to bring the charging cord to the gym. :confused:

13. Requiemm macrumors regular

A2DP will also let me connect wirelessly to the speakers in my motorcycle helmet. Yes it might not be the best sound quality, but I'm not an audiophile so it doesn't bother me.

14. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

Going cord free is so much better for me because I'm always on the go and hate the cord pulling me down. I would take a drop in quality (nothing horrific) for wireless listening...

A2DP would be great if stereos had it too; FM transmitters and USB ports make me irk. I'm not a huge fan of wires. :cool:

15. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

They do. There are many headunits in 09 lines that have A2DP which makes this a little more useful, except for the fact that wireless you wont be charging your battery, unless you tether to a car charger.

16. zigzag801 macrumors member

When I first got my iPhone I didn't really care about this but I bought a new Sony stereo for my car that has this and it would be awesome to give it a try in my car and my motorcycle helmet

17. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

I was so upset that this wasn't in the phone to begin with. I had a Fuzic with A2DP and it was great. Quality is at least as good as the stock headphones. Haha. Mine broke and I literally got replacement wired ones today. On well.

18. x-evil-x macrumors 68020

x-evil-x

19. darkflounder macrumors regular

I picked up the Jaybirds earlier this year, and I love them! And now, they're even better. No more dongle and a longer battery life.

Sure, the Jaybirds aren't the greatest quality. But after losing count of how many times I either had the earphones pulled out of my ears or the phone pulled out of my pocket, going wireless was the best thing to happen to my iPhone.

20. JeffAU macrumors newbie

A2DP Howto?

Hi all,

I own a VW GTI with Bluetooth Installed. I use my iPhone 3G to make and receive calls via Bluetooth with the Bluetooth module installed in the car. It works great.

The VW GTI Bluetooth module also supports A2DP - so I was excited that maybe I can send my iPhone audio to the car - but no success so far.

In the VW Bluetooth manual it says to use your phone and adjust the settings so that you send the phone's audio to Bluetooth but I can't find any settings on the iPhone to let me do this.

Any thoughts would be great thanks.

Cheers

JeffAU

21. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

Too bad it won't work with 1st gen iPhones. :mad:
    Thanks Apple. :rolleyes:

22. erpbridge macrumors newbie

Was the Bluetooth chipset different in the 2.5g iPhones and the 3G? If not, there will probably be either a jailbreak to activate, or hopefully Apple will release a later firmware update a few months down the line.

23. D3lta macrumors 6502a

So what are some good in-ear A2DP headphones?

24. erpbridge macrumors newbie

I've loved my Motorola S9's that I bought back in October 2007. I'm sure there's others as well.

Just make sure to switch the ear cushions to your liking.

25. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I just spent some time with 3.0 and a Motorola S9. Quick notes:

It stutters frequently, especially if you try to do anything (like scroll through the home pages... i.e. not even demanding stuff) with the iPhone while listening to music.

Does not seem to have any voice calling capabilities.

Volume controls work via Bluetooth.

Battery life is measurably poor with BT A2DP.

Was difficult to pair the device. The numeric keys are not available in the pairing keypad, and of course the S9 uses 0000 as a pin! Somehow, it connected after a few tries.

I will be trying some other stereo headsets and see if I can draw any conclusions.