Aaaaaaaaand the iPad claims another victim - so long, PlayBook!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MojoDojo, Sep 29, 2011.

1. MojoDojo macrumors member

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Nice find. This sucks though. We want tablet competition to stay somewhat healthy.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

We want a viable iPad alternative. This was dead on arrival. However much people may have liked the size and hardware specs, the software side was laughably pathetic. RIM ought to bail ASAP. In fact, RIM itself is facing a dismal future with all of its product lines. I sure wish they'd own up to their mistakes, make some changes, and bring back some of their old innovative spirit.

4. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Maybe I'm wrong, but isnt it giving the iPad too much credit by claiming it killed the competition? IMO, products like the TouchPad and Playbook didnt fail because of the iPad. They failed because of how poor the product was regardless of iPad superiority.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think you're right. Before the iPad, those companies weren't selling a huge number of tablets. Since the iPad... they're still not selling a huge number of iPads. Apple didn't kill anything, they just have been the only (i.e. first) ones to get tablets to sell (by building a quality tablet solution with fantastic developer support).

7. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Without the iPad they wouldn't of been that bad as there wouldn't of been such a high benchmark to compare them too, so yes the iPad is killing of the competition.

Also the more people that buy an iPad the less people will buy a competing device.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Are you sure the Fire didn't kill the PlayBook? Actually, it was probably a combination of Amazon and Apple.

9. jcal0820 macrumors member

jcal0820

Wasn't there a fire sale on Playbooks recently? Also, I guess this means that the Android App integration update and native email support RIM was promising are no more?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Considering the Amazon Fire is not even out yet that statement is a bit premature.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

Who knows what is going on in the minds of the RIM executives, who take every opportunity to make their company more irrelevant. I doubt the Fire did much to end the Playbook project.

And, the iPad didn't kill the Playbook. If you followed RIM's trajectory over the last few years, you know that RIM is apparently an exceedingly disfunctional company that has been years behind in developing its phone products. Ttheir piece of plastic and glass they called a tablet couldn't even do email. You didn't need the iPad or Fire to see that was a debacle.

A lot of us really wanted to see RIM put out something that could compete in the smart phone market or a tablet with a new approach to things, but all we got were tired old ideas. I'd say RIM had internal problems that they still haven't addressed. It's sad, but don't put it on Amazon or Apple.

12. Mac.World, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

And I gave them 3 months to fail on 1 Sept. Link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1222688&highlight=

And the kinda firesale of the Playbook was here for those interested: http://mashable.com/2011/09/29/best-buy-slashes-blackberry-playbook-prices/

Hey "TheWheelMan" wanna chime in? Guess I'm not so delusional. ;)
    MacRumorUser... Care to comment on your previous statement?

13. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

cnbc just said that halting production of the playbook is just rumor. I doubt it though, rim is dead and has been for several years now.

14. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

the playbook's been stalled for months. you didn't need to have a magical crystal ball or be Nostradomus to predict that it was only a matter of time before RIM pulled/pulls the plug.

15. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

if playbook is dead, Quanta will have extra parts for the cheap fire

16. urkel macrumors 68030

I dont feel the Fire killed the Playbook since the Playbook was doomed for failure from the start. But it is possible that the fire was the final nail in the coffin considering it is the same hardware but with a cheaper pricetag, a more appealing approach and the backing of a company that offered a promising future. Any chances of the Playbook improving through software would still require it to be sold at a loss and RIM simply can't afford to do that so the Fire may have been their big sign to pull the plug.

17. matt90036 macrumors regular

the products are fine, and many even comparable to iPad, the problem however is:
    1. price is too high - perhaps RIM would have taken off if the price was at sub $200 level or even $250. the HP touchpad proved that there are many people who just want to do web browsing and email checking and don't need the fancy iPad or can't afford it. this is where Amazon fire comes in.
    2. if they can't set the price really low then you better get lots of tablet designed apps. i have rencetly made the mistakes of buying a droid, only to find out that skype and netflix is not working, there is no professional PDF annotating app, medical apps are of poor quality and slow and in general all apps are designed for phones instead of tablets. had HP, RIM, Acer and other companies actually spend $$$$ to recruit developers to make some tablet specific professional apps, the droid tablet would have had a chance.

18. jcal0820 macrumors member

jcal0820

....and so all this means kiss goodbye to the promised Android App and native email support???

19. jaytv111 macrumors regular

Still a rumor. It ain't over till it's over...

20. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Woot!

I guess we should keep an eye on Woot! for cheap Playbooks, then...

21. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

This is really unfortunate. As much as I like apple as, a Canadian thousands have lost there jobs as RIM is based out of Canada.

22. iPad 3 macrumors member

23. jcal0820 macrumors member

jcal0820

Well,if this is all true of course, don't know how useful this tablet will be if RIM is abandoning it, no more updates, no Android App support, no native email, etc.