AAPL- Mass Market Manipulation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Much Ado, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

So the stock drops from $170 down to $153, and then up to $164 in minutes. About to drop again. One great big smash-n-grab raid that made some f***ing crook very rich very fast.

Anyone here a stockholder? Ever seen anything like this?

Watch and weep: http://finance.google.com/finance?q=AAPL

Don't even try and guess where this one is going to end up...

2. scttwtkns macrumors newbie

Wtf

Yeah, I'm a stockholder. What the heck is going on? There doesn't seem to be any particular indicator as to it's volatility today. Very intriguing.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

recent developments in the hacking of the iphone and ipod touch perhaps and how apple will respond?

4. Much Ado thread starter macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Whoa whoa- this isn't to do with any news. This is a bear raid, make no mistake.

The big players cannot be allowed to do this.

5. scttwtkns macrumors newbie

What exactly is a bear raid? And how could we stop the big players from doing it?

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

http://www.investorwords.com/444/bear_raid.html

I saw it at 170 and then at 163... didn't realize it had been forced down to 153...

7. Much Ado thread starter macrumors 68000

Much Ado

From Wikipedia: (Bear raid) Traders could take on large short positions themselves, with the large volume of selling causing the price to fall, making the strategy self perpetuating.

And as for what we can do about it- absolutely nothing. If you've got a lot of money, the rest comes for free. Money makes money, and it's disgusting :mad:

8. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I am a stock holder. I just recently bought my stock a couple of weeks ago. I bought it at $160/share.

9. CybrMike macrumors member

Its been on a great run as of late, people are taking profits.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That's exactly what happened.Apple was going up,up,up then traders started to sell to make a profit then it went down,down,down.

11. Much Ado thread starter macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Yes, and they all sold within the space of five minutes and then all bought back in again :mad::rolleyes:

/enormous sarcasm

12. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

wow, if you bought thatstock in the beginning the profit would be enormous now.

13. psingh01 macrumors 65816

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I see a big spike in trading right around the middle of the day which accompanied the selloff. Possibly some of the institutional investors were taking profits. AAPL is a very volatile stock as a rule, and it is trading more on emotion and technical issues than fundamentals at the moment.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

That also makes AAPL a good profitmaker for traders.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Only if they have perfect timing. Either way I would not spend too much time thinking about how the traders make their money unless you aspire to being one yourself.

17. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

It couldn't possibly have anything to with 2 class action lawsuits being filed in 1 day... 1 in State court, the other in Federal... :rolleyes:

18. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

19. balwx macrumors regular

Yes, I am a stockholder also. Todays trading range was incredible. I was unable to see todays trading action, but I would of loved to see the action on my ameritrade level2. My timeframe is long term here. Often during times like this the pros, seem to 'shake the tree', sometimes the small time investor will run. I intend to hold aapl long term. Go over to the investor page on apple.com, check out the pdf's showing the total cpu sales (growth etc... ). the sales are booming. I wish other shareholders the best of luck!!

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Unlikely. These cases come and go all the time. Even when the cases aren't dismissed quickly, they generally drag on for years. Investors don't care about them unless/until a court awards large settlements to plaintiffs, and often not even then.

Just another wild day on Wall Street. There doesn't have to be a reason.

21. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

it's the stock market...only economists should be ananlysing it...it's a game of cat and mouse, blind mans bluff and of shear luck that causes only headaches to all but the most eccentric hobbyist

even if you have shares, just let it do what it may:p

22. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

23. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I guess you never watched google or broadcom before the internet bubble burst.

Also, your quote sources may or may not be accurate. I've seen some crazy things with the online services. When the market is heavy, even some of the firms can't keep up.

24. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

Long term stockholder of AAPL. The changes that were happening yesterday were extremely odd. Apple has served me well in the past 4 years so I don't expect myself pulling out anytime soon.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The entire tech sector was slammed on Thursday. So far today AAPL has made up what it lost yesterday. Considering that AAPL has nearly doubled so far this year, I can't consider complaining when it doesn't go up every day.