AAPL stock

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I wanted to start a thread where shareholders could discuss AAPL stock. :apple:

Today was a great day for AAPL, it touched 601 during trading hours and went higher after hours. I think there was a lot of resistance at the 600 mark. Hopefully, since it broke through that resistance, we can see it move much higher in the coming days. RBC raised their price target to 645 today and that helped move the stock.

How do you guys feel about the stock split? I think that smaller investors will be more willing to buy AAPL at 85 than at 600. This could definitely drive the stock up.

Attachments

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Question regarding their stock split. It goes into effect June 2, but if you buy before that for say, $600/share, will you still get the split? Or only the people that invested before they announced it will get the benefit? Same question goes for dividends?

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Question regarding their stock split. It goes into effect June 2, but if you buy before that for say, $600/share, will you still get the split? Or only the people that invested before they announced it will get the benefit? Same question goes for dividends?
Something tells me you don't understand what a stock split is.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
from apple.com ...

"Each Apple shareholder of record at the close of business on June 2, 2014 will receive six additional shares for every share held on the record date, and trading will begin on a split-adjusted basis on June 9, 2014."

Dividends are similar ... "a dividend of $3.29 per common share, payable on May 15, 2014 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on May 12, 2014."

----------

sorry but it seems i beat macrumors to the punch ... i made this thread more than an hour before they published the article.

I also want this thread to be more then AAPL just hitting 600, i thought that it could be for the discussion of the stock for years to come.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Something tells me you don't understand what a stock split is.
I do. When you have one share of stock turns into 7 and price of the stock is divided by 7.

----------

from apple.com ...

"Each Apple shareholder of record at the close of business on June 2, 2014 will receive six additional shares for every share held on the record date, and trading will begin on a split-adjusted basis on June 9, 2014."

Dividends are similar ... "a dividend of $3.29 per common share, payable on May 15, 2014 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on May 12, 2014."

----------

sorry but it seems i beat macrumors to the punch ... i made this thread more than an hour before they published the article.

I also want this thread to be more then AAPL just hitting 600, i thought that it could be for the discussion of the stock for years to come.
So it makes most sense to buy now?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
So it makes most sense to buy now?
Well that depends on how you feel the stock is heading. A lot of people play the dividend it tends to fluctuate when it is about to be paid.

also the stock split technically doesn't change the value of the stock, but it does make it much more attractive to small time investors who want to own the stock at 85 instead of 600. If all of the investors purchase after the split at 85 then the stock should rise and you will obviously make money.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Well that depends on how you feel the stock is heading. A lot of people play the dividend it tends to fluctuate when it is about to be paid.

also the stock split technically doesn't change the value of the stock, but it does make it much more attractive to small time investors who want to own the stock at 85 instead of 600. If all of the investors purchase after the split at 85 then the stock should rise and you will obviously make money.
Depends on their earnings report I guess. Could crash too.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
Depends on their earnings report I guess. Could crash too.
Well they just announced their Q2 FY2014 earnings on April 23 and they were a home run. The stock jumped up 8% after hours and has been on a steady climb since.

During their earnings call they announced the stock split. The next earnings call won't be for about 3 months. I wouldn't bet on it crashing before the next earnings call.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Well they just announced their Q2 FY2014 earnings on April 23 and they were a home run. The stock jumped up 8% after hours and has been on a steady climb since.

During their earnings call they announced the stock split. The next earnings call won't be for about 3 months. I wouldn't bet on it crashing before the next earnings call.
But it could crash after a slow FQ2.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
AAPL will never fail. If you bought $25,000 of stock in 2001 it would be worth $1,000,000 today. SQUILLY. You could be a millionaire in 13 short years. You have absolutely nothing to lose. Do it now. Everything.
I should have done it when it was $550/share. I was going to invest $10k in Apple alone.
Also, 13 years is too long for Squilly.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
I should have done it when it was $550/share. I was going to invest $10k in Apple alone.
You would have seen a 10% return on investment already.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
That is problem right there.

Big Company stocks are meant for long-term investors. If you want short-term plays then you need to go to penny-stocks.... like on the Vancouver exchange. They can go up very fast.... or they can disappear just as quickly. At the moment I'm playing a stock that has increased 7x what I paid... but I've also totally lost some initial purchases.

The whole point of 'taking a risk' on an investment is that you may gain more than average...but you many also lose out.

Despite Apple's recent performance... it is not a risky stock.

But do let me know if you buy some... I'll buy some too and we can both watch it crash. ;) Any stock I've ever picked for myself has basically crashed. Massey Ferguson, Ballard Power, etc. etc. The one I mentioned above was recommended to me by my stock-broker.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
An entire year? Sorry! I didn't realize I was talking to an expert.
I didn't say I was an expert, please don't get smart. It's better than nothing.

----------

That is problem right there.

Big Company stocks are meant for long-term investors. If you want short-term plays then you need to go to penny-stocks.... like on the Vancouver exchange. They can go up very fast.... or they can disappear just as quickly. At the moment I'm playing a stock that has increased 7x what I paid... but I've also totally lost some initial purchases.

The whole point of 'taking a risk' on an investment is that you may gain more than average...but you many also lose out.

Despite Apple's recent performance... it is not a risky stock.

But do let me know if you buy some... I'll buy some too and we can both watch it crash. ;) Any stock I've ever picked for myself has basically crashed. Massey Ferguson, Ballard Power, etc. etc. The one I mentioned above was recommended to me by my stock-broker.
I don't like penny stocks as most of those are "pump and dumps". I'm invested in 3D Systems, Kroger, and KKR, all in the black.