AAPL stock

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by luckydcxx, May 5, 2014.

1. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I wanted to start a thread where shareholders could discuss AAPL stock. :apple:

Today was a great day for AAPL, it touched 601 during trading hours and went higher after hours. I think there was a lot of resistance at the 600 mark. Hopefully, since it broke through that resistance, we can see it move much higher in the coming days. RBC raised their price target to 645 today and that helped move the stock.

How do you guys feel about the stock split? I think that smaller investors will be more willing to buy AAPL at 85 than at 600. This could definitely drive the stock up.

Attached Files:

2. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Question regarding their stock split. It goes into effect June 2, but if you buy before that for say, $600/share, will you still get the split? Or only the people that invested before they announced it will get the benefit? Same question goes for dividends?

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Something tells me you don't understand what a stock split is.

4. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

from apple.com ...

"Each Apple shareholder of record at the close of business on June 2, 2014 will receive six additional shares for every share held on the record date, and trading will begin on a split-adjusted basis on June 9, 2014."

Dividends are similar ... "a dividend of $3.29 per common share, payable on May 15, 2014 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on May 12, 2014."

----------

sorry but it seems i beat macrumors to the punch ... i made this thread more than an hour before they published the article.

I also want this thread to be more then AAPL just hitting 600, i thought that it could be for the discussion of the stock for years to come.

5. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I do. When you have one share of stock turns into 7 and price of the stock is divided by 7.

----------

So it makes most sense to buy now?

6. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Well that depends on how you feel the stock is heading. A lot of people play the dividend it tends to fluctuate when it is about to be paid.

also the stock split technically doesn't change the value of the stock, but it does make it much more attractive to small time investors who want to own the stock at 85 instead of 600. If all of the investors purchase after the split at 85 then the stock should rise and you will obviously make money.

7. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Depends on their earnings report I guess. Could crash too.

8. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

Well they just announced their Q2 FY2014 earnings on April 23 and they were a home run. The stock jumped up 8% after hours and has been on a steady climb since.

During their earnings call they announced the stock split. The next earnings call won't be for about 3 months. I wouldn't bet on it crashing before the next earnings call.

9. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

But it could crash after a slow FQ2.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

AAPL will never fail. If you bought $25,000 of stock in 2001 it would be worth $1,000,000 today. SQUILLY. You could be a millionaire in 13 short years. You have absolutely nothing to lose. Do it now. Everything.

11. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I should have done it when it was $550/share. I was going to invest $10k in Apple alone.
    Also, 13 years is too long for Squilly.

12. luckydcxx thread starter macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

You would have seen a 10% return on investment already.

13. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Exactly. But then wouldn't that be a red flag as insider trading for the SEC?

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I bought 100 shares when the split was announced. And since then it is up around $30/share. If you want the split and the dividend, buy before May 12th.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I don't think you're ready for the stock market.

16. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I've already been investing for over a year now.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

An entire year? Sorry! I didn't realize I was talking to an expert.

18. snberk103 macrumors 603

That is problem right there.

Big Company stocks are meant for long-term investors. If you want short-term plays then you need to go to penny-stocks.... like on the Vancouver exchange. They can go up very fast.... or they can disappear just as quickly. At the moment I'm playing a stock that has increased 7x what I paid... but I've also totally lost some initial purchases.

The whole point of 'taking a risk' on an investment is that you may gain more than average...but you many also lose out.

Despite Apple's recent performance... it is not a risky stock.

But do let me know if you buy some... I'll buy some too and we can both watch it crash. ;) Any stock I've ever picked for myself has basically crashed. Massey Ferguson, Ballard Power, etc. etc. The one I mentioned above was recommended to me by my stock-broker.

19. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I didn't say I was an expert, please don't get smart. It's better than nothing.

----------

I don't like penny stocks as most of those are "pump and dumps". I'm invested in 3D Systems, Kroger, and KKR, all in the black.

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I would never dream of getting smart. Too much effort!

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep, you want to get rich quickly.:rolleyes:

22. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Not at all.

Also, I read an article recently that said crossing 600 again would be difficult for AAPL, apparently not :p

23. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

13 years is too long.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How long should it take?