AAPLJ45,1 vs. 2013 MBA 13 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adam1, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Adam1 macrumors newbie

AAPLJ45,1 = Macbook pro that's coming out

Trying to decided which I should get, I will use it for home use mostly web browsing, homework and light gaming everyone once and a while. BTW I use my computer a majority of the day when out of school and use it till I go to bed some days after school.

Which is better for me?

----------

Please help. Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Homework? Still in high school? Light gaming, does it include modern games?

Yes to any question [specially question 2] means get the Air.

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

There's a million threads about this, and it's been asked several times. It'll be good to look at them to narrow down your priorities. Otherwise you'll be told that you should get the MBA, and then a couple posts down someone will tell you that you'd be foolish not to get the rMBP.

Me? I'd say get the rMBP.

4. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone else?

BTW I'm going into 8th grade this year that means high school next year. Modern gaming is correct nothing that intensive.

5. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Eighth grade?!

Dude get the air. I was lucky to have a scientific calculator in eighth grade. O.O

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then get the Air... save $ for college. Seriously, that's food, beer or book money that will go a long way. Once in college you can re-evaluate your current and future major-based needs and make a smarter buy.

7. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why the air?

----------

Btw I can get any computer or tablet or desktop I want no matter it's price as long as it not like terribly expensive, it's a gift from my grandma for my bar mitzvah so I got all the money I want.

8. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Cheaper. Way more than what you need for high school anyway, and that's the truth.

Like above, save your money for more important things.

9. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not my money.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Trust me, save your $$, you will need it once college time hits. Those $400 that you save now, will mean quite a lot one day.

Still, save it! Don't be spoiled just because it isn't your cash.

11. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Precisely.

12. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe you guys don't understand if I buy a 2000 dollar CPU or a 2500 cpu I don't get or loose any money the money was never in my position if I get a 2000 dollar one I don't get any other money.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

So your gift is the computer, not the $. Still makes sense to ask for the Air.

14. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

And your reasons are?

15. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

You came to this forum asking for advice from people who probably know better than you. Why are you asking if it sounds like you just want to get the best, most expensive MacBook?

16. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't I just am curious why I would get a ultra portable computer vs a laptop that's extremely powerful.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. You are Eighth Grade, hardly even need a power house CPU.

2. You light game, which means having the baddest GPU a Mac can offer is pointless.

3. You want to use it in bed, the Air is most comfortable Mac in terms of bed time computer usage.

Good enough?

18. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Form factor and battery life are reasons I'd get an Air.

19. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's pretty solid bullet points there thank you for the help. I just want to clarify I won't be using it in bed most likely just until ** I go to bed **.

And are titles such as 'Team Fortress 2', 'Gary's Mod' and games of this level considered light gaming and could they easily be played on the Macbook Air without a problem?

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, just don't expect perfect performance from the iGPU in the Air.

21. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

what are you wanting us to say? Do you want it now or is waiting for the new pro worth it?

if you are torn between the two why not save Grandma a few bucks and go with the cheaper option.

I know you're not going to want to hear this but quite frankly I'm not sure a 9th grader needs either computer to be honest, but I'm sure you'll be happy with either one!

22. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    for your usage and age I'd say the Air would be more than sufficient as well as nice and light.
    a 13" rMBP when released would be the duck's nuts especially with the crisper screen - though a tad heavier and more expensive.
    best thing is to head to an Apple reseller and do your own hands-on test :D

23. Adam1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would getting a 15 inch model be better if I stare at it all day? Or is there little difference between a 13 or 15 inch?

24. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

go to the Apple store and play with them - can't emphasize this enough. I was sure i wanted the 13" air until i went and used them. ended up going with the 11

and again, not to keep harping on the money, but the cheapest 15" pro is $500 more than the most expensive air...

25. deadwalrus macrumors regular

Ugh. Go play outside.