Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a newly posted video clip, screenwriter Aaron Sorkin spoke to Bloomberg's Emily Chang about his upcoming Steve Jobs biopic that is expected to begin filming sometime next year. When asked why he was filming yet another movie about the Apple co-founder, Sorkin noted that Steve Jobs' life could provide content for at least ten movies.

I think that you could do ten more movies about Steve Jobs, and I think if you lined up ten writers and said "write a movie about Steve Jobs", you'd get ten different movies, all of them worth going to see.
Though he spoke relatively freely about Steve Jobs, such as mentions of the three times he spoke with Jobs on the phone including one where he "fixed a couple of typos" in Jobs' famous Stanford 2005 commencement speech, Sorkin did not address the casting for his upcoming movie, which has been in flux over the past year.

Early reports had Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon and Bradley Cooper allegedly considered for the leading role, and just weeks ago Sorkin announced Christian Bale was selected without audition for the part. Bale has, however, reportedly pulled out of the project and Michael Fassbender is now reportedly in talks for the role.

Sorkin went on to address the pressure he faces in writing the movie, noting it is "the same pressure that I feel when I'm writing anything...maybe with a little bit of sauce on top of pressure because he is a person that so many people have so many strong feelings about." He notes that he has met extensively with the other seven main characters in his Jobs movie, including Steve Wozniak, former Apple CEO John Sculley, and former Mac marketing chief Joanna Hoffman.

The film will include 30-minute segments that focus on three major Apple product announcements with Danny Boyle of Slumdog Millionaire fame as director. Seth Rogen reportedly is in talks to play Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak, while Academy Award nominee Jessica Chastain may also play an unspecified role in the film.

Sorkin's full interview will air tonight at 8:30 pm ET/PT on Bloomberg's Studio 1.0.

Article Link: Aaron Sorkin Discusses Steve Jobs Movies and the Pressures of Writing

Last edited:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Its true.

Just like I always wanted to read a bunch of books about Steve.

I read like four and I was always interested in reading more and more.

Its such a contemporary and epic legend. And its so fascinating on a broad human level to see what a legend like that was like and you can never find out enough things because we want to put together the puzzle of what it was like to be him and the little lessons we can learn from his powerful ways.

So yeah there should be even more movies.

writingdevil

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2010
Except Sorkin started his script before ChiefEngineer Kutcher 'starred' in a film rushed to maket, so asking why he wanted to write 'another' SJ script is meaningless.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I think that you could do ten more movies about Steve Jobs, and I think if you lined up ten writers and said "write a movie about Steve Jobs", you'd get ten different movies, all of them worth going to see.

I'm sure each would be fine in its own right, but at some point, someone's got to say "enough is enough" and work on some other project instead.

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Forget Jobs, I Want A Movie About This Guy

Screenshot 2014-11-06 10.37.02.png

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
"I think that you could do ten more movies about Steve Jobs, and I think if you lined up ten writers and said "write a movie about Steve Jobs", you'd get ten different movies, all of them worth going to see."

No no no.....maybe one or two.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
Coming soon to a theater near you:

Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs II: Attack of the Samsung Clones

Steve Jobs with a Vengeance

The Jobs Legacy

Steve Jobs Into Darkness

Steve Jobs: Vampire Hunter

Steve Jobs and the Deathly Hallows

The Chronicles of Jobs: The iPhone, the Mac and the iPad

Steve Jobs vs. Predator

And finally...

Teenage Mutant Steve Jobs

You heard it here first.

Last edited:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Instead of all these stupid movies, I would rather see a really good Steve Jobs documentary. It could have interviews from people who knew Steve best, and we might actually learn something we don't already know.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Its true. Just like I always wanted to read a bunch of books about Steve. I read like four and I was always interested in reading more and more. Its such a contemporary and epic legend. And its so fascinating on a broad human level to see what a legend like that was like and you can never find out enough things because we want to put together the puzzle of what it was like to be him and the little lessons we can learn from his powerful ways. So yeah there should be even more movies.

At first I thought you were joking... SMH.

Reactions: 69Mustang

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
so funny to me that they announced this movie which is based on the authorized biography, then someone rushed out the low budget indie Ashton Kutcher movie in order to capitalize on beating this one to market. Now there are a bunch of ignorant people acting like the market has been saturated with Steve Jobs films and we don't need anymore.

Ahheck01

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006

Steve Jobs

The Jobs Legacy

Steve Jobs Into Darkness

Steve Jobs vs. Predator

And finally...

You heard it here first.

As long as JJ Abrams is directing, I would go see all of these.

g0df4th3r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2014
I hope they make an Apple movie similar to 'Saw'. Tim Cook, Craig Federighi, Phil Schiller, Jony Ive, Eddie Cue & Dre are all trapped in a building trying to escape death while being played around by Jigsaw aka Steve Jobs.

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands

Steve Jobs

The Jobs Legacy

Steve Jobs Into Darkness

Steve Jobs vs. Predator

And finally...

You heard it here first.

You forgot Steve Jobs Unchained

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I hope this will be a good movie. Sorkin is a great writer and the crew assembled to this movie is top notch. Not 100% on sold on Seth Rogen if he gets the part but if Fassbender accept it, he is a very solid actor.

At least we might forget for good the Ashton Kutcher one. Right there it's a winner.:D

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Instead of all these stupid movies, I would rather see a really good Steve Jobs documentary. It could have interviews from people who knew Steve best, and we might actually learn something we don't already know.

I thought Jobs was decently entertaining even if not memorable. But in spirit with what you were saying, I wanted it to be a longer full life Dramamentary.

The thing about Steve Jobs' life is that the full story is a sweeping epic biography and if you look at the ups and downs in his real life, it looks like the plot of an epic movie complete with triumphant come back in the unibody Mac era.

So its almost odd not to utilize that theme and create a whole thesis around that.

I would like to see like a full "modern Pirates of Silicon Valley but with Steve Jobs as the main character" type thing where its a full epic biopic with the full story start to end and not skipping huge chunks for some half baked thesis but rather express the whole grandeur of his epic scope properly and triumphantly for what it is.

I totally trust Aaron Sorkin for what he is doing because his attention to nuance is impossibly calculated such as with Moneyball and the Sports Night series amongst many other things are pure brilliance understanding that type of swag and detail.

One thing that Ashton Kutcher had right but didn't emphasize enough is that Steve Jobs got a lot of his power from having movie star good looks in an industry that attracted mostly the type of people he parodied in the Mac/PC ads essentially starring "himself" and the benefit being he saw and understood people differently "better" and was able to become a superior salesman for that reason.

So there are many ages that would need to be played and I would even want to see some scenes of his parents as a young kid to emphasize the influential role they played in his swag.

But maybe Aaron Sorkin is saying that as an excuse to make some sort of piece about a contained thesis and maybe (unless he can tell the whole story with what he is doing -which i wouldn't count it against his potential) he's saying that a full biopic is still yet left to be made.

Last edited:

arefbe

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
I thought Jobs was decently entertaining even if not memorable. But in spirit with what you were saying, I wanted it to be a longer full life Dramamentary.

The thing about Steve Jobs' life is that the full story is a sweeping epic biography and if you look at the ups and downs in his real life, it looks like the plot of an epic movie complete with triumphant come back in the unibody Mac era.

So its almost odd not to utilize that theme and create a whole thesis around that.

I would like to see like a full "modern Pirates of Silicon Valley but with Steve Jobs as the main character" type thing where its a full epic biopic with the full story start to end and not skipping huge chunks for some half baked thesis but rather express the whole grandeur of his epic scope properly and triumphantly for what it is.

I totally trust Aaron Sorkin for what he is doing because his attention to nuance is impossibly calculated such as with Moneyball and the Sports Night series amongst many other things are pure brilliance understanding that type of swag and detail.

One thing that Ashton Kutcher had right but didn't emphasize enough is that Steve Jobs got a lot of his power from having movie star good looks in an industry that attracted mostly the type of people he parodied in the Mac/PC ads essentially starring "himself" and the benefit being he saw and understood people differently "better" and was able to become a superior salesman for that reason.

So there are many ages that would need to be played and I would even want to see some scenes of his parents as a young kid to emphasize the influential role they played in his swag.

But maybe Aaron Sorkin is saying that as an excuse to make some sort of piece about a contained thesis and maybe (unless he can tell the whole story with what he is doing -which i wouldn't count it against his potential) he's saying that a full biopic is still yet left to be made.

You could be right. But I don't know. If this picture had been in production while Steve was still alive, or even around the time he died, it might have been big. But now, 3 years later, when all the furor had died down, I don't think the audience is still there. The people who will go to see it are those who still yearn for the "good old days" at Apple. Most everyone else has moved on. I see this movie going to NetFlix faster than JOBS did.

navier

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2011
Germany

This please! I'll vote you hundred times!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.