Abel Gance's "Napoleon" (1927) on Blu-ray and DVD

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BasicGreatGuy, Apr 27, 2017.

1. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you are a lover of films, BFI has released Abel Gance's "Napoleon" (1927) on Blu-ray and DVD.

Kevin Brownlow spent 50 years restoring this masterpiece. Although some of the film has been lost, (for various reasons) Kevin has been able to save 5.5 hours. The BFI release is region B locked. If you are in the United States, (like me) you will need a region free Blu-ray player.

In my opinion, this movie is a must see.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Wow.

I have never seen that (legendary) movie, but have read a lot about it, including interviews with - and profiles of - Kevin Brownlow.

Thanks for sharing this - I'll most certainly look into it.

3. Huntn, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Region B locked? Bastardos! ;) Looks interesting.

...5.5 hours?

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It is considered (by critics and movie historians) to be a legendary movie, one of the real classics of the silent screen, a rich, powerful telling of Napoleon's story.

Unfortunately, I have never seen it (and I have seen some of the legendary silent films - the best of them are brilliant - Nosferatu, for example, is spellbinding), but have read about it - and, as I mentioned above, have read interviews with and articles about, Kevin Brownlow.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Able to save 5.5 hours, how long was that movie?

Why? That doesn't seem to make any sense - you're cutting off a large potential customer base.

6. BasicGreatGuy thread starter Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If I am not mistaken, it was originally close to 8hrs.

As to the region lock, most of the time that has to do with licensing rights. BFI does release region free movies when they can. The first pressing of the movie sold out rather quickly. Even now it can be hard to find. I agree with you about high demand. Film lovers have been asking for this release for years.

There may be a U.S. release in the next few months, although I wouldn't count on it. I will let folks know if I find out anymore news.

I am thrilled to finally have the BD after only having a t.v. rip from the 89?