About buying a referbished(sp) macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TakeOnMe213, Jan 26, 2010.

1. TakeOnMe213 macrumors newbie

hello, I have never had to buy a computer before. Recently Ive decided a macbook would be a smart investment because of their reputation for working well, lasting long and being idiotproof=p.

so i was looking at the referbished (not spelling that right) computers on the apple webpage and Im just wondering if its a bad idea or a good one to go that route.

also is mac pro or air worth the extra cash? or are you just paying for it to be smaller and flashier?

cheers,

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on some of the posts in this forum, that's not always the case! :D
    Refurbished Macs are a great deal. They're carefully inspected and come with the same warranty as new models.
    That's a matter of personal opinion. It depends on what you need a computer for.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think that refurbs are a great bargain, particularly for the MacBook. At 4.5 pounds, they are really light for such a potent notebook. Unless you need ultra-portability, the Air would not be worth the extra cash, IMO. The MacBook Pros have extra features that are worth the money if you need them, not if you don't.

4. Ca$hflow macrumors 6502

Ca$hflow

Refurbished are awesome deals. I bought mine after the unibodys were launched for $1600 when less then 6 months ago they were selling for $2500. Great deals if you don't care about ego and don't require the latest and greatest.

5. mcruzader macrumors regular

Refurbs are great you will NOT notice a difference once you take it out of the packaging and place it side by side with a new one. As far as Mac Pros or MacBook Air it all depends on what you plan on using the computer for some people find the Mac Pro to be overkill while other say the need more power.

6. reeley macrumors newbie

Ordered a refurb on Thursday from the Apple Shop, it was delivered on Friday. Looks absolutely brand new and I love having saved over £200 !!

Now, should I put that saving towards an Apple Tablet?

Go for it, save yourself some money, it comes with a full warranty, what have you got to lose?:D

7. iTom macrumors newbie

Macbook Refurbs

As others have stated the Refurbs are a great deal. I just bought a MacBook Pro 13" 4 days before Christmas and it was delivered 22 hours after I ordered it. One added bonus is that although I bought one with a guaranteed 250Gig hard drive when I got to snooping it had a 500Gig Hard Drive. Something that very few folks know is that if a computer is bought and someone refuses delivery it can not be sold as new again even if it was never opened.Hence many times a refurb has never actually been used. Least this is my understanding.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Refurbished computers come from many sources. One source is older models when a new model is introduced; they are usually priced at 15% less than the fair price for that model but the percentage displayed is taken relative to the last sale price (so if the old model cost $1000, and is replaced for a new model at $1000, I'd say the old model is now worth $850, it's sold for $700, so Apple says it's 30 percent cheaper).

And the other source is everything that is returned to Apple for any reason. Including never opened, opened once and customer didn't like it :mad: or opened once and didn't work. Of course any problems are fixed; so these are actually better tested than a brand new one. And of course you have the full warranty.

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely with all of the previous posts. Refurbished computers offer excellent value, are as good as new (sometimes are actually completely new as has already been pointed out), and have been individually tested and tried, which means glitches have been dealt with. As Ca$hflow points out, as long as you don't need to have the latest and newest model, they are an excellent purchase.

Cheers and good luck

10. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I usually buy refurbished Apple products and have always been very pleased with them. I have a Mac Book Air and it is a wonderful computer as an adjunct to my iMac desktop. I couldn't recommend it as your only computer but a Mac Book Pro could easily fit that bill. Good Luck on your purchase. You will love the Mac experience.:D

11. the blast macrumors newbie

Do they charge Tax when you order a refurb from their website? Just wondering as I may just go buy one at best buy as it would cost the same IF they happen to have an open box & their extra warranty is longer & better than Apple Care from what I hear. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Buy a refurbished Mac and you’ll get:

* A Mac that performs and looks like new
    * The same one-year warranty as new
    * The same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    * A machine that is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
    * A machine refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
    * A Mac that has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected.
    * A Mac that is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) – nothing is missing
    * It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
    * A Mac that has placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock
    * A savings several times that of any coupon or promo code (not that they can be found anymore…)

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple’s Finished Goods testing procedures.

IMHO, a deal that can't be beat!

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, they charge tax on refurbs, just like new models.