About buying this new Sub-Notebook..sell my Macbook first?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by virilep, Jan 2, 2008.

1. virilep macrumors member

I was thinking about buying one when it came out. But first I was going to sell my Macbook. I needed some advice to see if this was worth it. My warranty is almost up (<2 weeks) so I was thinking about buying it but I figured why not just buy a new laptop.

It's a C2D 2.0 Ghz with 80 gigs hard drive and DVD- Superdrive. Final price I paid was 1230 for it. If I don't spend the 200 (Applecare on Ebay), That would value I guess for 1030. (I know there's a year warranty difference).

So I guess would it be worth it for me to sell? I can sell it for 800 for sure. Maybe looking for a bit more.

What do you think?

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

What happens when the ultraportable doesn't come out? You won't have a computer and will have lost money.

3. virilep thread starter macrumors member

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Why don't you wait until the new one actually exists before selling yours? Getting rid of your Macbook just because of a rumor seems silly to me...

5. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

He's right, what would happen if Apple doesn't come out with a Laptop that suites your needs?
    Your pretty much screwed.
    I'd say just wait till MacWorld, if anything you like comes out, then go ahead and sell your Macbook.

OR

Sell your Macbook, and hope to god a computer you want comes out, and if not, either buy another mac, or get a Dell :p

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Compared to your MacBook, an ultra-portable will be smaller, run slower, have no CD/DVD drive, be less powerful in every respect - and cost a lot more money. On the other hand, it will be a lot lighter and may have better battery life.

Think very, very hard whether an ultra-portable is actually the computer that you want. How much do you carry your MacBook around? How much do you need a powerful computer? How much are you willing to spend? Note that ultra-portable notebooks usually cost about $2000 to $3000, and Apple isn't exactly known for selling things that are cheap.

Having a MacPro _and_ an ultra-portable is probably a good combination. Having an ultra-portable computer _and nothing else_ is possibly not a good idea.

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Go ahead and do it! Is that what you want to hear? An answer that satisfies your greed? Go ahead! Just don't say you weren't warned; we'll be happy to link back to this thread :^)

8. virilep thread starter macrumors member

haha... an answer that comes from a person with "miser" in his name. nice.

But thanks for the thought. Nasher, I think you're right. Thanks!