About MBP 2.8Ghz warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deanmadoo, Jan 2, 2009.

1. deanmadoo macrumors member

I'm thinking about buying a 2.8Ghz MBP for use in all 4 years of college
    But was wondering,

Is the warranty the same?

When there is a problem do they exchange it for a new one?

and if there is a new model do they give you the same spec?

Thx

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

The same as what?

No... they fix the problem.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

I don't see why it would be different than the base model or anything and if it's broke then they will most likely fix it and not give your a brand new unit.

ChrisN

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you buy without Apple Care you get the 1 year limited warranty. That warranty covers manufacturing defects or any other problems you might experience. Covers repairs, replacements and other stuff in order to make things right. You also get 90 days complimentary phone support.

However, if you purchase AppleCare, your 1 year warranty gets extended 2 more years making it into a 3 year warranty after the date of purchase + 3 years of phone support.

Edit - If your laptop is BTO (CTO or ATO), then it gets fixed. You hardly ever get replacements for BTO laptops. However, when the costs of fixing overwhelm replacement, you should (depends if the person working for Apple, Apple care rep, genius, etc is nice enough) get a replacement. After many hassles Apple gives in. Don't worry, with a Mac you are covered.

5. deanmadoo thread starter macrumors member

what is that?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

BTO = Built To Order

which you means you ordered it online and customized it; in this case the 2.8GHz; I've learned the hard way that getting BTO isn't good if you are the kind of person who has bad luck with computers breaking all the time.

7. deanmadoo thread starter macrumors member

So it isn't the same as non BTO macbook pros right?

The non BTO are more likely to get a replacement than BTO laptops.

I think that kind of isnt fair
    becuase i pay more for the laptop
    but doesnt get the same kind of treatment :(

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Not quite. The warranty is the same, stock laptops get repaired as well, it's just that Apple stores don't carry BTO laptops so a replacement would be ordered and shipped, not handed to you over the counter. Also, you realize that you paid more because you ordered it with a superior feature so it costs Apple more, you shouldn't really receive any special treatment because you paid more for a BTO laptop.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

+1.

I have found that BTO options are only good if you really, really need the extra boost in whatever you are customizing (in this case your CPU). If you really, really need it, get it; else, a stock laptop is fine.

10. deanmadoo thread starter macrumors member

Thx for the reply
    i ordered the 2.8 becuase i want to use it for all 4 years of college

11. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

If you're doing high-end stuff, like audio (Logic, Logic Express, Reason) or video (Final Cut Studio, FC Express, Motion, Shake), then go with the 2.8, 7200rpm drive, and max RAM.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

In order to have the 2.8GHz BTO option you have to be at the mid-range MacBook Pro ($2,499). That model already has maxed out RAM, the only thing he needed to change was 7200rpm drive and 2.8GHz processor goodness.

13. deanmadoo thread starter macrumors member

its not the special treatment
    its the less treatment
    the non BTO will more likely get replaced than the BTO ones
    so they get less

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Life isn't fair. What do you want them to do? Stock every possible configuration so in the off-chance someone got a BTO customized that way and has a massive problem with it, they can get a new one? If you think that's feasible, you have a very poor concept of business and economics.

And just because you have a stock machine doesn't mean you get a replacement. Normally, you get the same machine back, with the repair performed, regardless of what you got it with. Replacements are generally only given to people who have chronic problems with a machine.

15. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It's not exactly that you get less treatment. If your machine breaks after being repaired 3 times you're entitled to a new machine relative to what you had. It's just that Apple can't do an in store replacement with a BTO machine because they're BTO... it's not feasible for them to carry all possible configurations that they offer. Quite honestly, don't worry about it, if your laptop breaks, they fix it, if it breaks frequently they'll order you a replacement like the broken one.