About my previous thread - Installing Leopard on my iMac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CGagnon, Jul 8, 2007.

1. CGagnon macrumors regular

CGagnon

To refresh your memory:
    I was at work, and the thread was closed before I even got a change to defend myself. I was just wondering if anyone thought about the fact that maybe I got the Leopard beta from someone else like - MY DAD? He has been using a Mac since the 518K in 1984. Isn't there a possibility that I am not the ADC member, but my dad, who is not available for me to ask him this question, is?
    I guess I was mistaken in thinking that everyone in this forum would be so quick to jump to accusing me of pirating software, if I don't prove to them first, that I got the software legit in the first place. I guess I was wrong in thinking that this was a good place to ask a simple question I thought a majority of you could, and would be happy, and willing to help me with.

Lets not jump so quick to piracy, I read the forum rules just like everyone else here, so why would I come to your site with my questions, if I knew that I would be pointed out as a pirate.

Thank you to the people like n-abounds, brsboarder, skye12,and MacDonaldsd, who defended me, and didn't label me. And to Peace and Robbieduncan, i understand you are just trying to make sure the rules are not violated, so I am not mad.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But your dad is supposed to install it on his machine. You're not supposed to install it on yours.

I never read the "original" thread, but even after defending yourself, you're still wrong. :)

3. CGagnon thread starter macrumors regular

CGagnon

But either way, getting the software through my dad is a lot better than downloading it. If that is still considered pirating, then I guess I am a pirate, and I deserve to be banned.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, it's against the EULA and the NDA.

However, there are ways to be added as a licensed downloader to your father's account if the two of you legitimately want to develop code. I forget the exact details of the license agreement, but I think any ADC Select member has 4 other keys they can hand out for downloads. At least, that used to be the case, and the requirements for those to whom the keys can be given are specified somewhere in the documents.

I've yet to re-up after a year or two off, so my memory of the way things were may no longer apply. But I think you can gain legit access to Leopard that way.

5. CGagnon thread starter macrumors regular

CGagnon

Good to know, Thanks :)

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

jsw is correct. The person receiving the transferred keys must also be an ADC member of some sort and be employed by the same entity as the transferrer.

More info

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

regardless of who you go it YOU are not part of ADC that gets it, therefor it's not yours. Your dad is breaking his user agreement by giving it to you. Period.

8. CGagnon thread starter macrumors regular

CGagnon

You are right, which is why I am not going to install it. Even though my dad bough my iMac, so "technically" it is still "his". The last thing I want to do is get in trouble for installing the software, or get my dads ADC membership canceled.

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

That is some good thinking, and remember you can always use the resources close to you.;);)

10. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

How would you get in trouble? Who's going to tell on you... lol
    There are thousands of copies available throughout the net, I don't think any of those people are in trouble :)

Besides, since it is your father's iMac, it is his computer and I would thing you would be allowed since it is your "father's development computer"

11. CGagnon thread starter macrumors regular

CGagnon

Ya, even though my it is one of my dads development computers, apparently there are a lot of people on this forum that feel morally obligated to making sure I don't install it, for whatever reason.

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'll reply to this exactly once:

If you're dad has a Select or Premier ADC membership then he will be well aware that he has entered into a civil contract with Apple Inc the precludes him from discussing pre-release software (Leopard) in any public forums or distributing the software in any way. By giving you a copy he has either broken the contract, or he has transferred a key to you. In the latter case you are bound by the same contract when you choose to download Leopard.

So by simply posting the original questions you have opened up the possibility of Apple Inc starting a civil case for recovery of monetary damages from your fathers, yourself or possibly both.

That's what we're protecting you from.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It is even worse, because in the worst case scenario, Apple will find out where the copy comes from, it comes from your Dad, his company gets a call from Apple, and he gets fired as a result.

14. WannaGoMac macrumors 68000

Wow, you guys sure think Apple is "big-brother." Surprised that mac guys are so scare of their favorite computer company! lol, it's like Apple is the new Microsoft! :D

The thing is all over the net. Have you heard of a single person being contacted by Apple?

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not yet for Leopard, but yes, a number with Tiger

16. CGagnon thread starter macrumors regular

CGagnon

I am not going to install the software, I didn't know I was doing anything wrong. There, problem solved. Period