About ready to chuck this iPhone 6 out the window

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by highlightshadow, Nov 28, 2014.

1. highlightshadow macrumors regular

I'm so sick of the iPhone 6 and iOS8

3rd party keyboards totally unreliable
    App crashes are among the worst its ever been on iOS
    Another phone with a home button that feels like its about to give in
    Restored iPhone again today (set it up as new when i 1st got the 6) but tried doing same today .... phone decides 2 hours later to start heating up drastically and chewing battery .... was depleting fast than i could charge it. Did a hard-reset and it seems to have settled it for now.

I've owned every iPhone since the 3G but this one is the 1st one where i've totally regretted upgrading to.

Just can't believe we're on 8.1.1 and the OS is still a complete mess
    So back to Apple i go to get this swapped under warranty but i'm thinking now this will be my final Apple device.... was going to upgrade iPad2 to an iPad air 2 in the new year but not doing that anymore. Toying will selling the phone and jumping to android .... i know i've a lot of apps i'll miss but having to force quit apps constantly on iOS8 is waring thin

I know this is just my story and i'm sure it'll cue a countless amount of forum jokeys with the 'cool story bro' comments .... but don't care :)

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

There are better ways to go about things then throwing them out the window.

3. ImBuz macrumors 6502

ImBuz

Hmmm
    I don't know--sympathize withnyour problem
    I have had every iPhone from day one and all have been outstanding --including my 6 with the latest iOS

Good luck

Regards

4. Newtons Apple, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You must understand that you and your phone are the exception and not normal.

Not blaming you for the venting as I would be upset, too.

I do not think you will be that happy with Android but you will have to find that out yourself.

5. wxman2003 Suspended

So let me get this straight, this is the first bad iPhone you ever got. It's acting up, and you are going to stop buying Apple products all together. You haven't even exchanged it yet, haven't even given the replacement a try, and because of just one bad experience you are going to Android. Good luck with that. You were just looking for an excuse to switch to Android. You used this rant to justify your decision. Go for it. Why tell us? ok, I will add my pity here. Oh I am so sorry you are having this terrible experience. Please don't go. Please, please, please. You will never be happy with an Android product. But I feel your pain. Please, oh please, reconsider.

6. highlightshadow thread starter macrumors regular

Ok ... i didn't include history ... but with my 5S which i had for 1 year ... i had to get apple to replace 4 times because of fault after fault (hardware)

Its just the 6 is the 1st phone where i've genuinely felt like i should have stayed with 5S on iOS7... we're 4 updates into the cycle of 6 and nothing, to me at least, feels the slightest bit improved.

I was really stunned when my phone battery was just dropping 1% / minute and getting super-hot on a completely fresh installed from DFU

What's wrong with these things....
    I know android ... i've had 4 android phones (for work) over the past couple years and to be honest .... i don't like them that much either .... and i know i'd miss a lot ... but i just feel cursed with iPhone/iOS

7. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Though I think iOS 8 is a little "unfinished" I've seen no such behavior out of my iPhone 6 Plus. I would agree that your experience is the exception, not the rule.

Crashes are very infrequent and seem to be confined exclusively to older 3rd party apps. Mail has quit once or twice on me when rotating from the 6 Plus's two-pane landscape mode.

Third party keyboards leave a bit to be desired, but I don't blame Apple for this one. They've only been out a couple months and I suspect they're not nearly as popular as they are on Android, making them less of a priority for the 3rd party developers. But just a guess.

Battery life has been beyond my wildest dreams. I can literally go two days between charges with the same usage that would deplete my previous 5S after a day.

Never experienced the phone heating up and burning through battery, but seems like a crashed/frozen process chewing up CPU cycles.

If a DFU restore doesn't work, get the phone replaced.

8. highlightshadow thread starter macrumors regular

That was 2 hours following a DFU restore on a clean 'new phone' setup... i was amazed

9. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

That is impossible.
    I have owned several 3G, 3Gs, 4 and 4s, so there is no way you could have owned every iPhone since the 3G.

Or are you saying you owned the ones that I bought from Apple?

10. cababah macrumors 68000

Psht, don't you know this is MR forums? The official place for people to post about an issue and superimpose it on the entire user base!

11. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

I feel your pain. It has taken three iPhone 6s for me to get one that works properly. The first one had loose buttons (volume and home). The second one was overheating like crazy with no apps installed right out of the box. The third one is good so far. I think waiting a couple of months after launch is the way to go for me. I was ready to switch to Android for a year if the third phone had problems. Get yours exchanged and if it's not good move on to something else.

12. ihatephish macrumors regular

This kind of explains everything, really. iOS 8 is the cause of #bendgate.

13. Ipadfever macrumors 6502a

Ipadfever

I am surprised no one has said it yet but .......... Cool story bro!

----------

You are too invested into the Eco system and you will be back ....mark the date and time!

14. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Isnt there some kind of sticky thread for venting about iphone 6 issues?

15. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing not to long ago. I got my phone launch day had Reception and crashing issues and Apple or Verizon couldn't solve it. The thing crashed so many times it was very close to being smashed, crashing in the middle of a business call was so frustrating. The latest update seemed to have fixed it though.

16. Ibaorus macrumors member

Maybe you are just unlucky ?

I am not trying to justify you or anything, but are you sure you will be happy with Android ?

17. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Living and working in a tech centric environment I use and enjoy Android and iOS.

The lion's share of my friends are serious Smartphone enthusiasts that also use both. Some are experiencing terrible frustrations with their iPhone 6, 6+ models. Conversely mine's trouble free. So hard to say what it is due to the fact that amongst us about 40% of iPhone 6 series are a mess of problems.

A hard core Apple Smartphone and Computer user, I've never seen this fragmentation of good vs bad iPhones or iOS issues in the same model line. I have confidence Apple will get it sorted out, in fact five have been replaced in the Apple Store since last Wednesday.

Thankfully our new Nexus 6 models are all stellar. At least twenty of us use both Android and iOS. It's nice for variety and keeping current with our knowledge and skill on both platforms.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I thought people only throw Windows phones out of the window, hence the name "Windows"?

19. Capt.Mikey.. macrumors newbie

I decided on a change to a galaxy note 4. It's different but I'm enjoying the change :)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm very happy with my IP6+/iOS8. I have no regrets, great battery, great screen. All the apps that I need, and the integration to OS X. I was on a Nokia Lumia for a period of time, and I missed some of the integration that occurs.

There's no right/wrong answer, other then finding the best tool for the job. For me, I'm content with the what apple provided.

21. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

X2....ecosystem is pulling me back in despite a great year with a Windows Lumia 1520. I would have happily stayed if Apple didn't release a phone matching the size I couldn't go back from.

22. rocat1997 macrumors regular

About ready to chuck this iPhone 6 out the window

I guessing some of you don't actually use your phones. I use mine for work and as my personal phone. It's is constantly in use. IOS 8.1.1 has fixed a few things but it is definitely still extremely buggy. Mine crashes all the time. The 3rd party keyboards lock up imessage on every message I receive. I contacted SwiftKey but was told they were working with Apple on it. The concern is on apples end. I am considering jumping to android to. Most of my friends have them and have said it was genuinely the greatest move they did. As for apples customer service, that's a joke. Multiple trips to the genius bar has resulted in a waste of my time. They always put that garbage on me that I need to show them. When I do show them the keyboard hanging, they just blame the keyboard for it. I know the same story from everyone. My device is flawless. Never have any problems. I doubt that. You're just not using yours like some of the rest of us have to. Software restores fix nothing. I have to reboot my phone at least 3 times a week due to living locks. Apple needs to become the company they used to be and actually stand by their motto of "It just works" cause it really doesn't.

23. Jazper macrumors 6502a

Agreed, I haven't had any problems and apart from the odd few, any app crashes - and these apps are known to not be the most stable.

24. Tomo1971 macrumors newbie

I'm another with no issues. I've come from a long line of 'droids (had a iPhone 4s when they were new though).

Can't say I've had an issue apart from swiftkey not working half as good as it does on android. Am sure that will change though once Apple and swiftkey talk to each other and iron out the issues. Remember it's the first time that iOS has allowed third party keyboards there's bound to be teething issues.

As to the rest of your issues can't say I've noticed. Ok, I'll get a random app crash now and again but clear it from recent apps and try again and will the ln work. Had similar on android to be honest. Think it's just something you have to put up with. If apps do crash it's more than likely to be a problem with the app not iOS.