? about replacing phone w/ATT.New to all this...help!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lorelaigirl, May 8, 2011.

1. Lorelaigirl macrumors newbie

I have always had a prepaid phone but I'm ready to make the leap to a contract b/c my kids are teens and I use my phone all the time now. I was going to wait for the Iphone 5, but my current phone died. We're taking a big trip this summer so a smartphone would be very useful.

I'm thinking of getting an ATT $49 iphone 3g and signing a 2 year contract. What happens when the iphone5 is released? Will I have to pay full retail price for it if I want it?

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you won't be eligible for another upgrade.
    I'd suggest getting an iPhone 4 instead of the 3GS.
    AT&T even has some 16GB iPhone 4 refurbs for $99.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't think you'd be eligible for 18 months from the contract date for the upgrade pricing, so you'd be best off just paying the higher price of a iPhone 4 now. It'll last you till iPhone 6 (or 5 if fall's is the 4S)

4. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Refurb iPhones are a fantastic deal. My first iPhone was a refurb iPhone 3G, and there was no way to tell that it was a refurb. I bought it refurbished for $100 off (so $199 for the 16GB model) in March of 2009, I sold it to a friend when I bought my iPhone 4 in July of 2010, and that friend is still using it and it's still working great. At this point I would say that a refurbished iPhone 4 is about the best cellphone purchase someone can make right now (which is of course a completely subjective opinion).

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You'll have to pay an early upgrade price which is slightly cheaper than full retail price if you want to upgrade to the iPhone 5 regardless of which phone you buy right now (provided you sign a contract with said phone). You'll have to wait at least 18months before being offered the best subsidized pricing, but again, you can just do an early upgrade. Lucky for you, iPhones keep substantial value and you could probably get decent amount of money back and put it towards an iPhone 5 if you sell the phone. The 3GS is a decent phone, however its almost 2 years old in terms of technology and the iPhone 4 is a very nice step forward. Having not owned an older iOS device, you might not appreciate the retina display, faster speed, better camera and other features that is found on the iPhone 4, but it's very desirable when put next to a 3GS.