Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, Apple released their next generation iPhone called the iPhone 4S. Some were understandably disappointed that the rumored tapered "iPhone 5" design (shown below) was not released.

iphone5-4-500x375.jpg

The design was first revealed back in April, but gained more traction after cases started appearing from various Chinese accessory manufacturers in June. In fact, we heard that many of these suppliers were 100% confident that this would be the new iPhone design. So much so that large distributors were offering money back guarantees to retailers that these cases were correct. This, of course, led to a proliferation of cases into retailers as well. As the media event approached, however, there was no real evidence that Apple was actually producing this design.

One report suggested that a lost Apple prototype from a Foxconn factory was the source of the the case designs. This is a story we're inclined to believe. We had heard that this design is an actual Apple prototype that was in development, and not just a product of someone's wild imagination.

So, there is some hope that we will ultimately see the design in the future, though it's also possible that this exact design will never make its way to production. This scenario has happened before, where case makers jump the gun based on a leaked prototype. Most notably, back in 2009, case makers started producing cases for a then-unreleased iPod touch with camera. A prototype of exactly such a device was also leaked. Apple, however, released a camera-less iPod touch in 2009, and waited until 2010 to release one with a further redesigned camera. So that 2009 prototype never made it into production, but was verified to be legitimate.

The "iPhone 5" moniker will also have to wait until the next iPhone's release. At this point, Apple seems to have established a pattern for their iPhone releases with external design changes seemingly scheduled every two generations (Original iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S). We've heard nothing about when the next generation iPhone will arrive, but if we had to guess, we'd think Apple would stick to a late fall schedule again in 2012.

Article Link: About that Tapered iPhone 5 Design...

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I don't know if Apple will face a blow because of a '4S' or not.

All I am disappointed with is a new form factor. But apart from that, everything else is just so godamn awesome.

I think all these blogs/rumour sites and all of us were responsible for our own discontentment. Apple is not. Apple may have taken a longer time for this new iPhone but delays happen; and its not the first time Apple has changed the duration or start-time of their product cycle. We received the new Macbook Airs just recently. They were supposed to be release in September - November but were released in the June-July time frame. So did the MacbookPros, etc.

Apple has done a lot of work in the last few quarters: iOS 5, iCloud, iPad, MacMinis, MacbookPros, iMacs, MacbookAirs, etc.
I think we were expecting too much out of Apple this time. As others have said, changing an already powerful and awesome design just for the sake of it is bad product development, engineering and foresight. iPhone4 is a great phone and still beats the **** out of recent Android and WindowsPhones.

I think if people look beyond a new form factor, they could see something great about this new iPhone.

Last edited:

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

16 months passed and all they come up is that?

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
As an owner of all things Apple (and every iteration of iPhone), I can can understand the slight disappointment in not having a new design. This is in fact consumer electronics and its gazillions of sales and not a Porsche 911, so evolutionary design only goes so far especially with the ramp up of the competing platforms...

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
One thing for sure, if that design with a 4" screen ever does get released it will be the worlds best selling phone.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't mention any dates like 'fall 2012' Christ. People will start moaning about the new release date January onwards, threaten to move to Android, then moan some more about delays and so on. crazy

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
I could see something of that form definitely being released next year, fortunately that wasn't just some imaginary design that spread like wildfire.

Looking back months ago when those mockups first came out, I remember so much disdain for it from lots of macrumors users, and look where we are now, with what seems like the majority being enamored with the design. Kind of funny. But if it simply has a slightly bigger screen I think it'll appease lots of people.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
All of the complaints regarding the 'same' form factor are funny to me mostly because they are accompanied by 'everything is awesome except'

New phone is awesome if new phone is awesome.

Still the same old janky carrier plans and contracts though.

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
I'm finally okay with Apples decision, this will be my first iPhone as I'm a Sprint customer, and I was hoping for sprint compatibility more than a new case design anyway :apple:

x13gamer

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Pure Michigan
An iPad would like nice like this as well

I might like an iPad with that design. We now have 4 months till the iPad 3 might be announced. I would suspect the Siri would be on that. along with a retina display and possible a camera upgrade. The 3g version I suspect will be a "world" addition so they don't have to produce 3 different models of iPads, just the wifi and one with antennas like the 4s.

Let the speculation begin.

clydefamous

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
Can you imagine what Apple can do with the extra real estate? More space for battery, powerful chips.... it'll be a game changer. All good things in due time.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
please stop

I agreed,

MR and many other sites just overblown this silly rumor and people just had high expectations of something that would never happen in the first place.
It's understandable sites are feeding on this stuff because generate traffic and $ but it just went too far. Now we have to deal with hundreds of disgruntled kids that rather die than buy an iPhone 4S. :D

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I don't if Apple will face a blow because of a '4S'.

All I am disappointed with is a new form factor. But everything else is just so godamn awesome.
I think if people look beyond a new form factor, they could see something great about this new iPhone.

I guess very few current iPhone 4 owners can justify to spend another expensive 2 year contract for a phone that looks exactly the same. Sure the upgraded internals are nice, but all have been expected since the debut of iPad 2 (i.e. A5 chip with improved graphics, more RAM (still in doubt, maybe it's still 512MB), better 8MP camera from Sony, and Siri.

Of course everyone will tell me to see what happened to the 3GS - it was a runaway success. But at that time, there are virtually NO competitors to the iPhone. Android sucked big time in 2009. But not really so bad in 2011 and the platform is getting more and more acceptable by the general consumer. Also competitors (copiers) like Samsung are much more capable than in 2009.

What worries me is not that Apple released an internal upgrade to the iPhone in October 2011. It's that they won't have a new phone for another year. Can the iPhone 4S with no ground-breaking technology still meet the needs of late 2012?

I'm in doubt.

Of course, I'm not in doubt of the sales numbers.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Whatever guys...
it's all the journalist/media's hype.......

in Hong Kong, journalists wrote in newspapers that "iPhone 5 to be announced tomorrow"...
making all sorts of INCORRECT, UNCONFIRMED rumors......
Blame it to the media.

I for one, always like to see an OFFICIAL announcement before being disappointed.

There is a Chinese saying: "The higher hopes you have, the higher disappointment you'll receive" (talking about if something is not what you've expected)

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
That mockup is bad to begin with. Why Apple would make a gigantic home button is beyond me? If anything, Apple would remove it altogether and do some weird sensitive touch thing.

Like I kept saying every month. 4S, not 5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Even a minimal casing mod would have shut up half of the whiners here and let them focus more on the great guts that are now inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.