About This Mac saying all my disc is filled up with "system files"

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by brunozs, Dec 9, 2016.

1. brunozs macrumors member

So after Sierra the storage tab on About My Mac is showing the basically all my disk is full with system files. Does anybody have the same issue?

Attached Files:

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There are a few possibilities. One common item is versioning, if you routinely edit large files like PDFs that can grow quickly. Download DaisyDisk or similar.

3. brunozs thread starter macrumors member

No, this started just after I updated to Sierra. Daisy Disk says I have 6,8Gb of system files which is about right.

4. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Just had a look, my 128GB MBA says that I have 27.8GB of system files ... what are these files? That seems high

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Okay, if DaisyDisk is showing that it's probably just a Spotlight glitch. The categories & bar graph are built from Spotlight indices. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

6. tomviolence macrumors member

Had the same issue on a MBP 2016 with Sierra. Rebuilt Spotlight index manually. Did nothing. Clicked on ‘Manage’ under the Storage tab in ‘About this Mac’, and subsequently clicked on ‘Documents’ in that list. That did it for me.

7. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

I would suggested looking at ~/Library and seeing how large that is. Anything in there gets categorized as "System" and it can contain large things (like apps downloaded by Steam, and other things).

8. brunozs thread starter macrumors member

Did you just click on 'documents? That did nothing for me : (

By rebuilding the index manually you meant the method from apple dissolution board (setting the hard rive to private and then removing it)?

My Library contains 4.5Gb
    --- Post Merged, Dec 10, 2016 ---
    Also, its says iTunes has only 10gb when I have 800+ Gb of movies. It must be considering my movies as system files.

9. tomviolence macrumors member

Yes.
    This method: did nothing to solve the problem. Using Terminal command to rebuild Spotlight index: did nothing to solve the problem. Tried them both.

10. brunozs thread starter macrumors member

I don't think there's a solution for this, sadly.

Thanks for your help tho!