About to be on 5th iPhone. Anyone had more?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kavika411, Jan 2, 2008.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

1st iPhone
    purchased opening day, paid $599
    lasted two weeks, before wifi antenna died

2nd iPhone
    received as trade on first iPhone
    lasted four weeks, before touch screen worked only when it felt like working

3rd iPhone
    received as trade on second iPhone
    lasted approximately four months, before menu button stops working

4th iPhone
    received as trade on third iPhone
    got it three days ago, won't receive a call unless you are actively using when call comes in, no visual voicemail, SMS messages come in bulk (hours after they are sent)

5th iPhone
    hope to receive tomorrow night at scheduled Genius Bar meeting;
    if it stops working, I'm asking for my money back - just not worth it

Anyone else been this unlucky? Just curious.

2. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

My God I hope these don't happen to me. I got mine on Christmas day. If it has all these troubles I will be faced with a bunch of "I told you so's" at work. Not to mention I will be afraid to use it lest it breaks again!

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Some users have all the bad luck while others get away with decades of problem-free use! :eek: Sorry man!

4. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Unluckly run there.
    Could be worse....you could have an unlocked one and be told to 'go way sir' by the little apple brainy due at the bar.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

you serious?

had mine since day one...and it's perfect...

6. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

I'm on my second one. First one lasted about 2 weeks, then stopped getting calls; I would get voicemail as long as several hours after a "missed" call (from a co-worker needing assistance with a down server!), and random lockups with the unit, as well as the iPod just quitting mid-song a lot. My second one has been much better, and has only gone into Slo-mo lockup (where it takes 10 seconds or so to register any taps, etc, and just starts to choke) twice now in the 3 weeks I've had it, but have had no other major issues. Hopefully this one will last.

7. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I am indeed serious, but because I sold my soul to Apple some time ago :)p), I'm really not too angry about it. Each time I go in, the Genius' are amazingly easy to work with and very helpful. Also, each time I have to think to myself that, despite the hassle, I just got a new phone. (Then again, I'm pretty confident they give out reconditioned phones now to people who have returns.)

8. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

wow i feel bad. sucks when things don't work, and other people get perfect devices while you are hassling to get one that works completely.

9. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Stop using it as a hockey puck. It'll last longer.

10. cjmal macrumors 6502

I had 5 as well. Stopped on the 5th and got a refund.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm still on my original 4Gig and it's perfect, my friend just got one a few weeks ago from AT&T and that one's perfect.

Are your replacements refurbs? I would ask for a new one at this point - try to contact Steve Jobs and his office will probably hook you up...

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Wow, that's pretty unlucky. But just think, assuming the rate of failure is 5% the chance of getting 5 phones in a row that fail is 1 in 3,200,000.

13. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

It is kinda funny how some people get perfect Apple products and some get all the bad ones! I have had multiple Apple computers, iPods, and an iPhone and not really a problem. The only little thing i've had go wrong was the superdrive on my iMac C2D sometimes won't read a CD and just spins outta control. I still have my first iPhone and i've had it for 3 months with no problems at all.

14. sportlouis macrumors newbie

Ive also had 5

1st bought on opening day... had to trade it in because i bricked it trying to hack it

2nd had to trade in because i again bricked it trying to hack

3rd had to trade in because the sleep/hold button got jammed

4th had to trade in because i felt the sound was a little low compared to other iphones

5th has been working fine.

15. gotzero macrumors 68040

I am on two. I am worried I am going to be on three soon b/c the screen seems to be a little unresponsive at times. I am waiting awhile to see if I am imagining it or if it is time to go back in again...

The original replacement I got was definitely a refurb.

16. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

Dito. Had since 5 after 6 the night they came out and never a moment of worry.

17. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

hmm thats bad luck

my sisters visual voicemail wasn't working since day 1, but a software reset and a network reset fixed it.

18. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Do they see how many times you've exchanged it?

Can you ask for a refund after exchanging it numerous times?

19. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Also for you guys who have exchanged them a bunch, do you keep going back to the same Apple store? I feel like they'd think you're insane.

20. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

5 replacements:eek::confused:

No offense, but that is bordering on foolish loyalty. I think 3x is enough opportunity for someone to get it right. My money would have been spent elsewhere.

I have been very fortunate with all my Apple purchases, including my iphone (knocks on wood:D) GL!

21. outz macrumors 6502

im on my second soon to be 3rd when i drive up to the apple store this sat. all have been stuck/dead pixels on the screen. this one has 2 pretty bright ones you can see when viewing a dark website or watching a video. annoying shiat. ive only had an iphone for ~18 days.

22. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

Number of Phones

I too believe I had 5 iPhones before Apple refunded my money. Tried to use a Windows Mobile device and it sucked. Went back to the iPhone and have never looked back. It is doing fine.

To the person who bricked their first two: I understand the desire to "jailbreak" your phone, but after the first one maybe you would have learned something. Apperently not.

23. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

how did you guys get refunds? Did you call the 1-800 number? or did you ask the apple brick and mortar store for a refund?

24. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Glad we are all paying for your stupidity.

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Mine as been fine bought it on iDay, still the one same one. It's been dropped a few time but is still kicking. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope the 5th will be the last.