About to buy a new iMac 24"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nikonr, Nov 22, 2007.

1. nikonr macrumors newbie

hello.

Is apple about to announce on a new iMac (or upgrades) ?
    Is that a good time to buy one ?
    I'm not desperate to this machine right now, i can wait if needed, but hey who's wait always for new technologies remains with nothing.

tanX a lot.

p.s.: sorry any spelling mistake.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Well you aren't going to see updates until after Christmas. 1st week of January is Macworld. You might see a minor speed increase on the iMacs at that time.

3. nikonr thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question.

How can i know that i buy an iMac with santa rosa processor ?
    From when the iMac's are sold with santa rosa processors?

4. tingly macrumors 6502

5. nikonr thread starter macrumors newbie

now on the right forum...

Considering to buy an iMac next week, should i wait for January (macworld) or to some other traditionally announcements ?

the only thing I've heard about iMac in macworld is a matte screen.
    I'm really stuck now with this question, buy or wait.

Should I stay or should I go ?

6. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

Echoing the typical sentiment here re:buying new gear - if you need it now, get it now!

7. nikonr thread starter macrumors newbie

Most of iMac buyers can live without it for a while.
    If i want it?, yeah I expect it impatience.

BUT(!), I'm buying this machine for a few years, so if the wait worth it, I'll wait.

I think (Correct me if i wrong) the only upgrades can be on macworld, and the next update in a few months.
    If the wait worth it, only me can decide, but only for a matte screen...
    Just asking if we should expect any good update.

Tnx for any help :)

p.s.:sorry for my poor english.

8. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

9. ivan1234 macrumors regular

I think you should get one of the current imacs because they have the latest hardware and there are no updates for a while.

10. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

I've got the new aluminum iMac (see my sig), and I love it. You won't be disappointed. The most we'll see in January (in my opinion) is a speed bump to the iMac--there might not even be a speed bump at all, because the iMac was just upgraded significantly in August.

So I agree with ivan1234: buy now! You will love your purchase.

11. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Agreed; buy now. The new iMac just came out and if they did anything to it, it would be just a very minor speed bump. The typical user wouldn't be able to notice anything significant and the happiness you'd get from owning it now instead of waiting would far outweigh the benefits of a .1-.2Ghz speed bump.

Buy now and enjoy.

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

The iMac is a perfect machine, or should I say was. I owned the Core Duo model and only sold it because I needed a laptop. Performance was incredible, screen was great, I just couldn't carry it around.

Then they gave it a glossy screen and that questionable enclosure for no apparent reason, which was a shame. It's like they were trying to force users who need colour accuracy into a Mac Pro!

If ever I pick up an iMac again, it'll have to be one of the white Core 2 Duo models unless they ever offer a matte screen option.

13. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Optical Upgrade?

I am thinking of a new 24" before Christmas based on the theory I cant see what they are going to do to the iMac so close to the complete redesign recently released. I bear the scar of buying the redesigned rev C g5 imac 2 years ago only for it to be replaced with intel a few weeks later at Macworld. However, it is a somewhat different situation now.

The only difference I could think of was if apple decided to include an HDDVD/Blue ray drive....?

14. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Don't let HD-DVD / Blu-Ray drives cloud your judgement. External drives are always available, and they're usually better than what Apple ships. Plus you get the versatility of having TWO optical drives. My iBook G4 won't burn DVD's but I bought a LaCie external FW DVD burner that works great, much faster than any Apple SuperDrive.

15. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I will giggle, however, when MWSF comes around and Apple replaces with the shady performer ati card with some muscle card (or an option to select that version over the ati card provided nowadays). Doing so would cause an uproar of people in biblical proportions who had to deal with freezers months at a time
    :)

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I would be very surprised to see any updates to the iMac at MWSF. If anything the MBP will get the new Penryn chips as well as updates to the Mac Pro. The current iMac will probably get Penryn updates somewhere between late February (doubtful, more like March at the earliest) and possibly as late as May. Best guess points to March or April. And my money is on April.

Given all that buy now.

17. Grasbak macrumors 6502

i currently watch DVDs on my iMac and would want to watch HD on my iMac. If Apple update the iMac in Jan to an HD DVD drive would you be able to get an external from which you could watch an HD film on the iMac? Wouldnt you need HDMI to achieve this?

18. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

You could get an external HD DVD or Blu-Ray drive now. Not sure there are any software limitations. The drive would be Firewire. HDMI has nothing to do with it.