About to buy a new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DjSnert, Feb 14, 2014.

1. DjSnert macrumors newbie

So the time has come where my old mid 2010 MBP must be retired and I am looking at getting a fully tricked out 15" MBP with the newest Intel i7, 1TB HD...pretty much the works. My only concern is, is it worth the hefty price tag and/or should I wait?

I am an audio engineer and Dj. So I need all the power I can get. Since I already max out my old MBP working on new tracks, recording sessions and also I do mix HD video at some of my shows. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and hard place and most likely will go with what available now but I would still like to hear some opinions on the matter. Thanks!

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Off topic, but, what music program do you use for DJing?

Barney

3. DjSnert, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

DjSnert thread starter macrumors newbie

Mainly Ableton

Edit: Sorry I read it wrong. For Dj'ing I use both Serato and Traktor. Depending on the gig. Serato for more of the mainstream clubs that want video and Traktor for the sexy late night music.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

There's usually a minor bump around Feb-March on MBP's so if you can wait just a little then wait for that. However if you desperately need a new computer now and your DJ work depends on it then its not worth waiting.

I am going to wait because my 2009 MBP is getting a little long in the tooth but still performs adequately, and I dont use it for work just personal.

5. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I was playing around with a Trial Version of Ableton on a 13" rMBP with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD. Worked Pretty well for me ! No issues at all !

Also tried Traktor No issues iwth that aswell...

----------

By the way since you are in this profession DJ feel like asking you this, I have had this question posted here before aswell, got answers from people who gave their opinion but none from a DJ who does live shows, You look like the right person to answer this question. Why is it ? what is it about so special about MAC that most of the DJ's prefer to use a MAC in their Live Shows ! What is it that MAC offers for a DJ that maybe a Windows Machine does not offer ? what are the salient features ? Apart from the cliche that a MAC does not get hanged !

6. DjSnert thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's my story. Before I really dove into digital music making and digital Djing I used and started on PC. I want to say it had XP on it and I started using Acid Pro and Sound Forge. Started going to a school that primarily used Apple computers. So when it came time for me to upgrade and get something I could use for Dj'ing (that I now a few years down the road was really into), I got a MBP. Just out of familiarity with the OS and what have you.

So with all that said I really can't say, besides that until recently I haven't had any serious (needing repair, replacement or long downtime) issues or hang ups. It's been a true work horse. Also not having to deal with driver installs "plug and play" with most MIDI devices and controller is huge turn on. All in all MBP's just seem to be always to take a lot of abuse from large production sessions, night after night Dj'ing, gaming (the little we can) and other daily use with out any serious hicups, break down and needing to upgrade. For a few years.

I'd like to point out that I do know people that choose to use Windows desktops and laptops for production and Dj'ing without issues. I really like the workflow of the Mac OS (I use Window's at my 9-5 job) and the build quality of MBP's. At this point in time, I feel, it just comes down to personal preference and taking good care of your machine. :D

----------

I haven't read much on it yet but i've heard talk about how they might be switching from the Iris graphics or something? Again, I don't know anything :confused:

7. DjSnert thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Decided im going to wait to see if there's any sort of upgrade coming out in the next couple weeks or month. Anyone hear anything yet?

8. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Not sure if there is indeed any update for the rMBP in store in the first place ! Not in Feb/March atleast !

9. cammyg123 macrumors regular

cammyg123

I love my 2013 MacBook Pro. You won't regret it, mine was worth every penny. Probably up there for the best machine I've ever owned.

10. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

An update is likely going to happen after WWDC in June which will reach the public by Sept if rumours are correct but update in March that is very wishful thinking !! Nope ! Not happening !! 110% sure !

11. RMXO macrumors 6502a

No one can honestly give you an exact answer but with only a few weeks away from last years Feb 28th refresh, it won't hurt to wait if you can. If not, then do it as others have said.

12. DjSnert thread starter macrumors newbie

So with Intel roadmap pretty much leaving Apple fan's in the dark. Is it safe to say Apple wont be updating it's Retina MBP's for awhile?

13. psik macrumors 6502

No they will update their rmbps to haswell refresh chips and then to Broadwell, but not exactly sure of the dates...maybe rmbp get haswell refresh update in summer or in fall, mbas will get haswell refresh in summer or latest early fall for sure i think. Intel is not leaving apple users in the dark, it is pretty clear with its new visible time map release

14. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Well there are two sides to this, first I keep hearing that all Apple will do this year 2014 is Introduce the updated Haswell Chips in the rMBP but on the other hand, when I was digging in for some information the last couple of days there have been news that Apple has acquired some Patent rights for some touch based, Panels and Notebook Lids which can operate with touch and also some Solar charging thing for the rMBP which makes me think that sounds like a pretty ambitious plans...

15. psik macrumors 6502

I just doubt that my self, and even if they do it'll be the first generation of those new things, they'll need time to mature and in a way those things are gimmicks in that they don't necessarily improve performance screen resolution or battery life, but they are cool things to have... So I wouldn't care want those things even if they were to come true, I am just eating myself to see if in June the air will get retina, if not I will be getting the pro probably.. And i mean maybe solar power will make battery life more sustainable but it will not mean we are getting better batteries to begin with

16. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The leaks seems to indicate that the chips for the rMBP 13" won't refresh in the near future, the leaked roadmap points to the next update being Broadwell. Nothing is said about the chips in the 15" though.

I just ordered a 13" rMBP (which I am half regretting that I did not take the 15" instead) waiting to be delivered that I hope will last me till Broadwell is released around Q1 2015.

17. psik macrumors 6502

But isn't it much easier to carry the 13" around in case you need to? Or do you not travel very much with your laptop.

There will be an update in the near future probably, although minor, to haswell refresh...

18. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I dont travel too much with the laptop no. As for the refresh the leaked slides said to be from Intel show no refresh for the chips in the 13" rMBP, only the Airs.

19. augustya, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

You can convince yourself that you did the right thing. But by saying no...no there is no refresh happening this year in the rMBP line up. But the fact is there will be, there has to be a minor Haswell chip upgrade in the current rMBP ! Very certain !!

20. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I don't really care if there is a refresh next week, I can always sell the one I bought and upgrade to that one if it looks interesting. The $300 loss or so that would incur is nothing I have to worry about.

Fact remains that the leaks so far point to that Intel will not release an updated version of the chip in the 13" rMBP in the next 6 months. This does not mean Apple won't refresh something else about the computer, anything is possible.

I try to go by what information is availiable when I make my decisions, and this is the information at hand. If you have any conflicting information please share.

21. psik macrumors 6502

Then return it get the 15" man....

22. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

There will be likely a refresh in atleast the 15" rMBP with an updated Haswell Chip latest by June this year...After that We will be very close to a Broadwell Chip release so then It wont make any sense to refresh rMBP with a Haswell upgraded chip !

23. Wuiffi macrumors 6502a

Wuiffi

and where do you get that from? which intel chips will succeed the i7-4750HQ and the 4960HQ?!

24. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Aren't the Haswell upgrade chips gonna be out ? The entire year will there nothing to the rMBP ?? That is no Brainer !!