About to buy an iPhone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eduardo1971, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

So my iPhone 3g s (that I bought back in July 2009) died this past Saturday night. I was hoping to hold off purchasing a new phone until the iPhone 5 was released. Sadly, this was not meant to be.

I've reserved an iPhone 4 (16gb) and will be headed to my local Apple store after work today. Its kind of weird but I don't feel excited as when I bought first my first iphone.:confused: Is this wrong?

Since I have Family Talk, my wife also has an iPhone 3g s. Here is hoping that her iphone is able to last until the new version is released later this year (her iPhone is already having problems with the ringer and her is replacement to original that was purchased).

Anyway, enough of my rant. I really liked my iPhone 3g s. Oh well, Retina display here I come...

2. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

personally, i don't expect the iphone 5 to be that much of a change from the iphone 4. new chip, camera and OS maybe

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It sucks that you have to use up your upgrade with the new model just around the corner (Maybe) You sure you cant get your hands on a cheap GSM phone to hold you down in the meantime? Or maybe a friend or family member has one lying around. I would try everything possible to wait, but thats just me.

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

It's great that you are buying it, helps the economy.

Anyways, remember that you can always sell it and buy the next iPhone!

5. s.hasan546 macrumors 6502

id just go buy one on craigslist and than wait for the iphone 5. I just bought an iphone 4 for $350 on craigslist. By the time the iphone 5 comes out ill be able to get most if not all of my $ back when i sell it.

6. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Well, the iPhone 4 will run iOS 5.. so you'll only miss out on hardware improvements, but to me that's nothing. I really don't care if the phone is a tad bit faster. You'll love the iPhone 4.

7. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I totally agree. I doubt the hardware upgrades will be that significant. You will love it.

8. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

This is pretty close to what I was going to say. Just figured I'd throw in that the iPhone 4 is the first one that I've been satisfied enough with to not plan on upgrading. The retina display is amazing.

Enjoy your new phone!

9. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Not that much of a change? How is a Dual Core A5 chip, upgraded GPU, larger display, better camera, NFC, optimized OS, not that much of a change?

To me hardware and software improvements are both equally huge.

iPhone 4 will be able to run iOS 5. That's unless iOS 5 starts making use of the Dual Core processor, then the iPhone 4 won't be able to handle the new OS, just like what happened with the iPhone 3G.

Agreed completely, keep this as an option OP.

10. Eduardo1971 thread starter macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Thanks to all. I think you right.

Now, hopefully my wife's 3g s will last until the new iPhone 5. Then she'll get a proper upgrade (as opposed to my 'replacement').

11. Eduardo1971 thread starter macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Heeyyy. I was just starting to feel a 'tad' better about my upcoming purchase!
    :D

Eh, besides; all the features you mentioned are just conjecture at this point.

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Please, the iPhone 5 is not going to get all of those features.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I'm pretty sure it is going to get all those features. What do you think the iPhone 5 will feature then?

The Dual Core A5 chip itself makes this a huge upgrade. Why do i want Dual Core? For longevity and speed. Mainly longevity, until Apple starts making Quad Core phones which optimize the OS.

14. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The A5, a better camera and an antenna fix I think are guaranteed and thats it. It's going to be a marginal upgrade. iPhone 6 will bring a possibly larger screen, maybe NFC.

Are you being bottlenecked by anything the A4 can't do?

15. Eduardo1971 thread starter macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

If I do buy the iPhone 4 and wanted to sell it in several months. How difficult/easy would it be?

I've been with Cingular/ATT since 1999 and have never 'jail-broken' my iPhone. What would the process be? Since I would still be under the contract period I don't believe that AT&T would offer me the new iPhone 5 at the subsized price.

16. Reach9, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011

Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Well it really depends on when you sell the iPhone 4. If the iPhone 5 is already announced and you sell it, then you probably won't be getting the highest price possible.
    Stay tuned to websites like these and you'll have a better understanding when the iPhone 5 will come out.

You can try unlocking the device and selling it, a simple search on youtube would suffice, there are a lot of videos on how to jailbreak and unlock your iDevices.

Those features make sense as well, but i'm thinking the larger screen would be a better fit for the coming iPhone 5, a lot of rumors have pointed to it.

17. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

OP: Yes, do as these guys say here... hopefully it'll save you some stress!

Good luck!

18. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have an iPhone 4, but I occasionally use a sim adapter and go back to my 3Gs when I go certain places that may damage my phone. Let me just say that the iPhone 4 is light years ahead of the 3Gs. Every time I switch to the 3Gs I can't wait to switch back to the 4. For me the biggest differentiator is the screen... I didn't notice this until I got my iPhone 4, but my 3Gs gave me headaches due to the low resolution screen and constantly needing to squint. The camera is much better, and the flash is very useful. And overall the design is just superior. You will not regret getting it... It's only April, and if the iPhone 5 really does come out this summer, and you really want it you can just sell the 4 and get early upgrade pricing.

19. Eduardo1971 thread starter macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Yeah; you are right. Hopefully within the next three hours I'll have my new iPhone 4. I dont have the iPhone 4 yet but I've noticed that even with my 3g s that I would tend to squint quite a bit.

20. singhcardiff macrumors newbie

iphone 4 vat

i bought iphone 4 16gig for 510 pound from uk inclusive of vat. without vat its about 425 pound. if i were to go the airport and ask for refund would i get all of the vat or would they deduct some commission or fees and if they do how much would it be . thanks

21. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

For what it cost you, you probably could have just bought another 3GS and kept your upgrade eligibility.

22. Eduardo1971 thread starter macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

Brief update: well I went to my local Apple store and pluncked down for the 16gb iPhone 4. I must say I'm impressed with the Retina display. This really made it worthwhile over my 'g s' model phone. I haven't really noticed much a difference with the upgraded processor; but pictures and some optimised iPhone 4 games do look stellar.

What I must say is impressive are some pictures that I had on my old "g s" phone that looked blurry and washed out have a clarity and brightness to them on the iPhone 4-this is really neat.

I figured that with two and a half wars going on (that the U.S. is involved) and with a potential government shutdown that I need to keep things in perspective. Life is too short to fret about not having the 'latest and greatest' phone.

Now I'm off to worry as to when the refreshed iMac will be released...
    ;)

23. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Glad to hear that. Enjoy your new phone.

24. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Looks like I'm too late, but there was one other option available to you: get a 3GS for $199 w/ Apple's Out-of-warranty replacement program, and then use your upgrade on the iPhone 5 when it comes out. Of course this would cost you $400 instead of $200, so it all depends on whether it's worth it to you. While the resale value on the 3GS has gone down (and will drop even more by the time the iPhone 5 is released), a more or less brand new one might have fetched a bit more. Oh well, enjoy your new iPhone 4.

25. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i personally would ride it out untill the release of the IP5

is using an iphone paramount for u're daily routine/work/life ?