About to buy top end 15 inch..last questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Jan 29, 2014.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

I finally made my choice and I will be buying a top end 15 inch macbook pro. I am concerned about yellow tinting that seems to be in all screen and hopefully mine won't be that noticeable and with the cracking issue also.

Is there a better chance of having a problem free macbook pro ordering online and the computer coming from China or just go in an apple store and get one that has been manufactured like 20 weeks ago.

Is this overkill for my needs. I do surf the web and do photo editing (photoshop, lightroom 5 etc.) as an hobby. I plan to buy a 4k display next year. I don't really game. Should I be better with Iris pro only? I want the computer to be future proofed. It will be mainly used in clamshell mode around 60% of the time. I don't have any other computer only my wife's 2012 macbook air. I want to keep this computer 3-4 years.

thank you very much.

2. blooperz macrumors 6502

The dGPU won't do anything for your photo editing, adobe apps don't use the dGPU (photoshop uses it for a few functions that most people don't use, lightroom doesn't use it at all). If your already bumping the ram to 16 gigs which can help with photoshop then I guess you might as well get the top end, but you said its just a hobby so I see no point. The low end 15 inch with 8 gigs of ram is more than enough for the uses you described. You'll hear a lot of people tell you to upgrade the ram to 16 gigs, but there are very few situations in which you'll ever need more than 8 gigs, especially as a casual user.

If money is no object and you crave something more powerful than your needs then by all means get the top end, but if you want something that fits your needs than the low end 15" will serve you well as it is still a beast of a machine. I purchased the low end 15" with 8 gigs of ram and lightroom was a breeze. I exchanged it for the top end with the dGPU but that was strictly because I needed it for gaming. If I didn't game I would probably have stuck with the iris pro model. I think the battery life on the top end is also a bit shorter compared to the low end 15".

As for where to buy from, the computers at the apple store also came from china =P...and I think they get shipments weekly, so it doesn't really matter where you purchase it you're going to be playing the screen lottery regardless.

3. everfangomanga macrumors member

So did you make the choice, or are you still choosing? lol. If you're going to be using it in clamshell mode 60% of the time, the yellowish tint won't be a problem for you 60% of the time.

As far as the overkill question goes, I bought a top end one because I wanted the 16gb ram. I absolutely don't need all the power, but that being said, I don't regret it. The money is paid, I have my computer, I'm using and loving it (even with a yellowish tint), and my finances are back to normal.

4. mneblett macrumors 6502

Someone can correct me, but my understanding is that if you are going to be pushing 4K to an external monitor, having a discrete GPU is the way to go (full disclosure: I purchased a 15" 2.3Ghz, 16GB, 512GB with the discrete GPU).

I also seem to recall something about Windows (in BootCamp??) wanting to use a discrete GPU only, i.e., no on-the-fly switching between integrated and discrete GPUs.

If you have the money and you anticipate large GPU demands (like 4K external, Photochop, etc.), a discrete GPU will be more "future proof" than an Iris-only machine.

That said, "future proof" is really more a matter of how frequently you turn over your machines -- a 2-3 year event horizon means you'll trade up likely before graphics is a really serious bottleneck.

5. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

So, from your point of view, it's 100% sure I won't get a screen without a yellowish tint???

----------

Well, that's the thing, my *dead* computer is the last silver keys macbook pro in 2008. So, originally I thought I would change it every 3 years but then things happened, got married etc. and money was short. So, that might happen next when my wife and I have kids...who knows, so future proofing is somehow important and I'm afraid only igpu might not be enough for a couple years. How much would this current retina macbook pro sell for in 3-4 years?

6. kelon111 macrumors 6502

7. everfangomanga macrumors member

No, that's not what I meant. I'm just saying that if you are using it in clamshell mode connected to an external monitor the majority of the time, it won't be as big of a deal as it would if you only used the retina screen. Mine is slightly tinted, but even, so I don't mind it a whole lot.

8. blooperz macrumors 6502

Photoshop's gpu requirement is basically zero...photoshop benefits from a multicore processor and large amounts of Ram. The main reasons to get the 750m are if your a gamer or if you need it for 3d work/ video editing. You'll see no real benefit from the 750m for photoediting, and the iris pro is plenty powerful enough to drive a 4k display.

As for windows, bootcamp does not support switching of graphics cards, so the 750m will be used 100% in bootcamp unless you have the Iris only model. This means 2-3 hours on a full charge in windows if you opt to get the model with the 750m.

9. accountforit macrumors 6502a

That's funny.

10. everfangomanga macrumors member

Oh, this reminded me, if you have the 750 and are using an external monitor, it forces the 750 to be used, you can't turn it off. It's never been an issue for me, just another thing to think about.

11. mneblett macrumors 6502

I was in about the same boat, as I also moved from an '08 (late '08, 1st Unibody model). Knowing there was as significant chance I would have this late '13 machine about as long, and wanting 16GB and a 512GB, the cost difference was not significant enough to dissuade me from purchasing the "extra" GPU margin. I may never use it to its max capacity, but I'll never be wondering whether I should have done it.

Then again, when I bought my late '08, I never thought I'd ever encounter a workload demanding enough to seriously push the CPU and GPU to their limits. Yet towards towards the end of its useful life (for me, it still serves my wife's needs fine), even with an SSD and 8GB of RAM it wasn't "up to it" anymore. I purchased a near-max model now in part to hopefully forestall the time when I reach that point again in a few years.

12. kelon111, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

Why?

I see it as a better version of the MacBook Pro Retina.

It has a 3200 x 1800 resolution screen , a Quadro k1100m GPU , 256 GB SSD + 500 GB HDD , etc. You can actually have TWO 1 TB SSDs if you have the money instead since the Precision has user upgradable parts.

The Dell also has better warranty ( 1 year NBD Onsite [techician visits you at your work , home , etc.] standard , extensions and accidental damage protection are optional).

Do any Mac laptops have 5 years of warranty? Nope.
    Do any Mac laptops have 5 years of accidental damage service warranty? Nope.

13. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Umm, I disagree. On my rMBP, with Dynamic Switching enabled in GFXcardstatus, Photoshop CS6 automatically activates the dGPU when in use. Beats me.

But it runs faster on Iris than on the GT750M, probably because CS6 uses OpenCL more.

14. blooperz macrumors 6502

Those specs blow the rMBP out of the water....and for a lower price too...but people would rather pay more for the apple logo...that or they don't like windows/have been 'trained' to say they don't like windows hehe

15. blooperz macrumors 6502

Apple's automatic switching makes questionable choices all the time. Like I said in my first post, photoshop does use GPU acceleration for SOME actions, so it makes sense that it automatically switches. Will you notice the difference in your workflow? Probably not because most of the editing actions don't benefit from GPU acceleration. It's common knowledge that photoshop has little to no need for a dGPU unless your doing 3d artwork, it's all about ram and how many cores you have. Lightroom relies on a dGPU even less, even intels older "pre-iris" integrated versions would suffice for LR.

16. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Specs rarely mean much when you are referring to a Windows based machine. I think this has been proven over and over again. Apple optimization means more than the specs. I wonder why a dual core iPhone can beat out almost every quad core on the market?

You go buy your Dell guys. Some people wouldn't know quality if it slapped them in the face.

17. kelon111, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

kelon111 macrumors 6502

Aren't you one of those people who would claim that the GT 750m in a Mac is faster than a K5100m in an $8000 Windows based laptop (example) because of the magic Apple uses? I hear lies from Apple fanboys all the time.

How does optimization make up for not having 2 TB of SSDs?

So your Mac makes up for having less disk space by using magic?

You have something backwards. If you bothered checking the specs of the Dell , you would realize that the Quadro in the Dell is more optimized than the Geforce GPU in the Mac. Why? Partially because the Nvidia drivers for Windows are superior.

How does optimization give your Mac five years of onsite warranty and accidental damage protection?

I don't recall any Mac laptops holding ISV certifications either.

http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/workstations
    http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/workstations-partners
    http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/solutions/by-partner-autodesk
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13959111

You want a sample?

18. accountforit macrumors 6502a

1 - Why are you on an Apple website arguing about Dell? Should you not be on a Dell forum?

2 - Most people don't need more than 256gb of storage, and even fewer need more than 1tb which is offered by Apple. Moot.

3 - I have never had a Mac fail on me and I have never owned a computer for 5 years so the Dell warranty is moot.

4 - Without holding that Dell, I would assume it feels like every other plastic cheap laptop I have ever used. Poorly made, poorly designed, creaky, etc.. In other words.... Junk.

It's always funny to me that Apple products sell themselves and at a superior price while so called "better products" don't.

Enjoy your Dell.

19. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apple does not use the regular variant of the GT750M.

The GT750M in the iMac and MacBook Pro is the GDDR5 variant, which outperforms the GTX660M.

20. blooperz macrumors 6502

It's still a middle class card though, its basically a "new" version of the 650m used in the previous generation rMBP...

21. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I think the higher end mobile GPUs are simply too large. Every time I see a laptop with anything 770m or beyond it's freaking huge! I don't know if that's because of the GPU or the cooling required for it though.

22. md2433 macrumors newbie

Worked for Dell, at one time this house ONLY had Dell. I now have a house full of Apple. Mac's of all ages. My first Mac was the Mac Classic way back when! I have Old Mac Powerbooks, iBooks and New Macbook rPro's! I NEVER owned a Dell that was still working at 12 years old. Enough said.

PS: I LOVE APPLE

23. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yes, it's an over clocked version of the 650M. It's still based on Kepler.

But at least if it outperforms the GTX660M, it should be pretty decent and far better than the GT750M GDDR3 variants found in most Windows systems.

24. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Not usually one to defend Dell, but I've had a couple of Precisions and they are quality machines. Built like tanks, but they're mobile workstations, not road-warrior machines. They're the laptop equivalent of a Mac Pro. Comparing it to a MBP is like comparing a Dodge Ram 3500 HD dually crew cab to a Range Rover. Different purpose, different design.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say its nice to have the dGPU and it will be a benefit if you do get a 4k monitor. I'd say mostly though its probably not needed so much based on your stated needs