Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CB98

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
How hot does it get/do fans ever spin up when not necessarily doing anything too taxing on the monitor? Or do they stay on the whole time?

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
How hot does it get/do fans ever spin up when not necessarily doing anything too taxing on the monitor? Or do they stay on the whole time?

Dual monitors.. i don’t usually look at my istats when I’m working. Sometimes. I do hear the fans going. But that’s when I’m working with a 2gig file in photoshop with tons of layers and doing brush strokes etc... other wise. I don’t hear it
[doublepost=1548414498][/doublepost]Now that I think about it. I’m surprised no company has released replacement Mac bottoms.. maybe we vent holes or something to help the computer breathe better

Reactions: Ploki

CB98

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Dual monitors.. i don’t usually look at my istats when I’m working. Sometimes. I do hear the fans going. But that’s when I’m working with a 2gig file in photoshop with tons of layers and doing brush strokes etc... other wise. I don’t hear it
[doublepost=1548414498][/doublepost]Now that I think about it. I’m surprised no company has released replacement Mac bottoms.. maybe we vent holes or something to help the computer breathe better
And this is the 560X you’re talking about?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
they did, i think it flopped?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/themadminds/the-tilt-multimedia-stand-for-the-macbook-pro

EDS66

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2018
And I said differently where exactly? Literally right above your post in my citation you included I said "Vega is a lot faster, if you need dGPU go for Vega". But this is achieved mostly by increasing its power consumption. MBP can still cool it at full speed all day long, but you push the machine to the limit of what it is capable of. You have some 55W total power budget and need to distribute it. Since the RX is 30/35W it will have more spare room for CPU compared to 50W Vega, simple as that. Although this is rather unlikely scenario when you need both of them, outside of running some CPU intensive games or benchmarks, so Vega is the better option if you need dGPU.

So, if you don't use dGPU how exactly do you know it is Vega that is cooler now? You description indicates rather that you had a faulty machine before, like many others have posted from the initial batch released in the summer, where they experienced ridiculous thermal throttling. And that would be actually the best explanation of the "Vega is cooler" phenomenon. It was all related to CPU cooling, with idle dGPU. Vega at full speed cannot be cooler than RX, did you look at iStatMenu screenshots I posted above? It is a whooping 30C hotter than 555x when running benchmarks when you equalize fan rpms. I mean check for yourself, download Heaven 4.0, run in extreme preset, make a screenshot close to the end, at 250 sec mark or so.

Yes, the chokes are also bigger - they need to handle higher current after all. But this has nothing to do with cooling, the heat transfer elements are the same - the actual heatsink (the part that exchanges heat with ambient air), heatpipe and fan.

If I was buying now I'd get a Vega too, but being fully aware that it runs hotter than RX. Two scenarios where it is cooler: external monitor and workload that limits its power usage to below 30W (like a game with locked frame rates).

There is definitely throttling when both the CPU and GPU get hit hard. I simulated a pretty nasty scenario. Ripped a 4.5. GB movie in handbrake with all 12 virtual cores fully utilized while simultaneously running Unigine Heaven. Handbrake took about 20 minutes. Running just Handbrake, with all cores pegged at about 99 CPU utilization, according to activity monitor, core frequency in Intel Power Gadget never dropped below 3.2, with temps averaging 94 - 97 degrees Celsius. With both running in unison, clocks dropped to 2.3 GHz and stayed there for 20 minutes. Package temps stayed at 84 - 86 C.

All this said, I am really happy how this one is performing. I only wish the display was better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.