About to order a BTO iMac online....NERVOUS!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FrankySavvy, May 31, 2011.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I have always been a person to go to a store, purchase an item. I never order anything online, but I want the BTO iMac 27" with the option for the 2GB of VRAM.

My concerns are:

What is Apple's shipping policy in relation to damaged merchandise?

Are you insured if a product is "lost" during shipping?

Do you need to be home for the delivery, or do they just leave it at your doorstep?

Thanks, I know these are stupid questions, but for a 2300 dollar computer, I want to make sure its gets to me with no issues.

-Franky

2. bt22 macrumors 6502

Never bought a computer from Apple online,but have bought other things and you will be required to sign at delivery. Pretty sure the reason is due to insurance.

3. theRick119 macrumors member

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

They have shipped millions of iMacs all over the world for years -- and its been working out just fine.

Yours will be fine too.

5. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Buy buy!
    It will be fine.

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

How do you suppose Apple's own products arrive at their brick&mortar stores? Surely all of these things don't magically appear in their stockrooms. :rolleyes:

7. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I have had many macs sent to my home. you have to be there to sign for it. returns under 14 days are not a problem. they don't get stolen in the usa. at least not the 50 plus mac minis when i was doing an upgrade service all made it to my home. along with 2 mac pros and 1 iMac.

8. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Apple will resolve your shipping issues, but either way, you're protected by your CC for Items not as Received or Items not as described.

You worry too much.

9. iMikeT macrumors 68020

He's just being cautious, give him a break. We all know that placing orders online isn't exactly the safest thing to do. Once a credit card number is submitted online, who knows what can happen to it?

10. Dresevski macrumors 6502

It gets signed for but the cardboard box mine came in looked pretty beaten up...a little scary at first but everything inside was ok. I think when a package weighs that much and it's pretty large the deliver boys know that it's not something that can be tossed around (literally and figuratively). You'll be fine. More likely to have other issues like a yellow screen or dust under the glass...boo!

11. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol true! Can anyone sign for my iMac? I'm Very busy during the week, I am gonna have it delivered to my grandmothers, she can sign fir it, right?

12. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yea, I already thought about that and My local Apple Store would take the unit and repair it for free under warranty..if it has the yellow tint issue or any dead pixels :)

13. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Fedex will not leave it at your doorstep, you or someone who lives at your address has to sign for it or they will not deliver. If you logon to Fedex's website/or call customer service, there are options to route the package to a neighbor for delivery or even to you at your place of employment.

Don't worry, I just recieved a BTO iMac last Wednesday. It came in a shiny brown box with no damage to it whatsoever. If anything happens during shipping, Apple will take care of it.

14. wxman2003 Suspended

You can pre sign a form and post it to your door and fed ex will leave it. Apple gives you that option in the tracking email they send you. You just print up the form they give you in a link and then sign it and post to door.

15. techhead42 macrumors member

I, unfortunately got a BTO with a grumbling HDD and a hair under the glass. To Apples credit they agreed, no offered, to send out a replacement. I got the replacement and unfortunately it was worse than the original. It had severe backlight bleed in the bottom right hand corner, a darker grey bar along the bottom, a dead pixel and the display was dull compared to my original at the same brightness settings.
    In saying all that Apple agreed that this was unacceptable and are going to send out another replacement.
    What I'm trying to say is although it's annoying, Apple allowed me to keep my original while all this is going on so I have a computer to use. They have kept me informed at every stage. In fact they have been excellent, I cannot fault their customer service at all.
    So, even if you do have a problem. If Apple treats you with the respect they have treated me then you will be ok.

16. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Did they need proof before they sent you a new one? It's hard to show the yellow tint in pictures...that's really cool they let you keep your computer until the new one came, did you have to pay to ship it back?

17. iMikeT macrumors 68020

That's Apple's first-class customer service for you. And no, so long as your product is covered under Apple Care, you don't have to pay for shipping.

18. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

ditto!!!!

19. techhead42 macrumors member

Nope! Although it was within the 2 week return policy. Apple cover all costs for returns and replacements.

20. mackage macrumors 6502

No offense but this is about the dumbest thread I have seen on this forum.

OP - do you seriously think that Apple would send you such an expensive unit, not insure it, and then say F off when/if you have an issue of damage or theft? Really guy?

21. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

So, you start your post with "no offense" and then proceed to insult him? Nice.

Look at the OP's first post: he never orders anything on-line. So it's not unreasonable that he might have questions. There's no need to be rude about it.

22. Georgio macrumors 6502

Georgio

No problems here; placed order was quoted 14 days for delivery and it arrived in 6 days via UPS.
    Very impressed with the speed considering my machine was assembled in China to my order and then had to be shipped to the UK.

23. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

While there are online retailers who's reputation would make me nervous, Apple is great: they're highly reliable, and they're very good about resolving any issues that you may experience.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I buy online all the time. No problems ever. If something comes damaged they will take care of you.

There is no Apple store near me so everything is purchased over the internet.

25. GLS macrumors 6502

I thought the Apple elves made them in the back room.....

Thanks for spoiling the magic.