Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Currently have a late-2013 rMBP i5 8gb 256gb. Will be selling and putting towards the 2016.

Reasons I'm going 2016 nTB i5 8gb 256gb:
- Battery life (larger battery, less power draw from processor, no TB to power as compared to TB model)
- Love the design and feel
- Display is fantastic
- Ports/new cables not important to me (although MagSafe will be missed...)
- Geekbench score for 2016 MBP is better than my current MBP despite lesser-clocked processor
- Better speakers (I use this often)
- Can still get great resale value from current Mac (near mint condition, it will only depreciate more as I wait)

edit: formatting

Pootmatoot

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2014
As long as you've done a longish type test and like the keyboard, that looks like the sweetspot in the line-up.

Reactions: stanman64

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
I have the base 13" nTB and have nothing but good things to say about it. No regrets at all - it's perfect for what I needed.

motime

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2015
The non touch bar model is the only one that is priced reasonably, so it would be a worthwhile upgrade from 2013.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
As long as you've done a longish type test and like the keyboard, that looks like the sweetspot in the line-up.

I've only spent less than 2 minutes trying out the new keyboard, and I wasn't put off by it. It felt good, but will definitely need to adjust I'm sure.
[doublepost=1481091146][/doublepost]
The non touch bar model is the only one that is priced reasonably, so it would be a worthwhile upgrade from 2013.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to the upgrade to the Force Touch trackpad.

Antairez

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2015
As far as I know you are getting a smaller battery going from 2013 to 2016. Unless you are comparing the TB vs nTB then you might wanna format it a little better to avoid confusion ...

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
As far as I know you are getting a smaller battery going from 2013 to 2016. Unless you are comparing the TB vs nTB then you might wanna format it a little better to avoid confusion ...

Yes I am comparing nTB to TB. I put "as compared to TB version" after the battery stuff.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Just do it. Give the machine a great test, and you have till 8th Jan to return it if unhappy

housemd64

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Yes I am comparing nTB to TB. I put "as compared to TB version" after the battery stuff.
I went through the same decision process and after much research, went ahead with the base nTB. Have had the machine about 4 weeks now and have no regrets whatsoever. i was coming from a 2011 13" cMBP, so even more of a no brainer for me. Just be sure to give the kb a good workout... i persevered and now it's great, no going back.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I have the same Late 2013 model. I don't really feel that compelled to update yet. Tempted, absolutely. The sleekness of the design and the display are great. Justifying it is hard. I need my ports. Adapters I could live with, but only two USB-C not so much. An 11-12% jump in CPU isn't really worth it. Battery life on the 2013 is already very good. The most worthwhile upgrade is probably the graphics.

Sounds like we have different use cases. For me, I think I will wait another generation and see if the value proposition on the Touch Bar models gets any better. If the current model meets your needs and has features you're looking for, I'd say there is enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade for you. Go for it.

westie3130

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
I came from a 2010 MacBook pro, so anything would be better. I got the base 13 inch nTB , and could not be happier. Using HooToo Shuttle adapter to increase USB ports. Also, using it for power through. It all works. Love the laptop. Go for it!

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
What does the 2016 model do, that the 2013 doesn't?

Burn a hole in his wallet? :D

Jokes aside, excluding things like performance which won't really change much
- Size/weight makes it a nicer machine
- It will probably run cooler and quieter (that would be my main positive)
- Gorgeous screen

As for if it is worth it, probably not, but then, it has been 3 years so, maybe he can give his old one to a friend/relative :).

ivantwilliams

Cancelled
Nov 30, 2014
...not sure why we need to stop you. The most I think we should do is point out anything you may have missed, during your assessment of the newer unit ;)

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I made the same change - a late 2013 rMBP to the 2016 nTB MBP. The new machine is in every way better than the 2013 MBP - not that the old machine was bad by any stretch, but the new one is faster and smoother in every way measurable.

I personally love the new keyboard and after a couple weeks using it, the slight clicky noise (which I actually like) has diminished in volume. Perhaps I've learned I don't need to press as hard, but either way the new keyboard -- IMHO -- is fantastic.

The screen, while the same resolution, is much brighter (not to mention P3 color space support). The new machines run much cooler than the 2013 does. And the battery on the nTB models is outstanding. Speed wise, the new machine feels twice as fast as the 2013 machine. Pages in Safari pop open instantly whereas there was always a small rendering delay with the 2013.

Ultimately I actually exchanged the 13" nTB for the 15" TB model, but not because I didn't like the 13" nTB machine. In fact, I think the nTB was a gateway drug to the new 15", lol.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I made the same change - a late 2013 rMBP to the 2016 nTB MBP. The new machine is in every way better than the 2013 MBP - not that the old machine was bad by any stretch, but the new one is faster and smoother in every way measurable.

I personally love the new keyboard and after a couple weeks using it, the slight clicky noise (which I actually like) has diminished in volume. Perhaps I've learned I don't need to press as hard, but either way the new keyboard -- IMHO -- is fantastic.

The screen, while the same resolution, is much brighter (not to mention P3 color space support). The new machines run much cooler than the 2013 does. And the battery on the nTB models is outstanding. Speed wise, the new machine feels twice as fast as the 2013 machine. Pages in Safari pop open instantly whereas there was always a small rendering delay with the 2013.

Ultimately I actually exchanged the 13" nTB for the 15" TB model, but not because I didn't like the 13" nTB machine. In fact, I think the nTB was a gateway drug to the new 15", lol.
How is your experience with the 15" so far, in particular battery life performance?

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009

Your experience with the new keyboard seems in line with other posters: overtime the user press the keys with smaller force, hence faster and less noisy.

Thanks for the feedback.

jeffg819

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2006
I was using a early 2015 MacBook before getting the TB 13" MBP about three weeks ago.

For most of what I used the machine for, the MB was a great tool. However, when I ran out of horsepower, things got painful quick.

The new MBP is for me a perfect combination of speed, screen, and size. And by far I find the most useful addition the fingerprint sensor. Such a great way to unlock the machine and provide my approval for various transactions.

A Mac laptop user since 2004, this is my favorite thus far. But take that with a grain of salt, I seem to say that about every new Mac I buy.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
How is your experience with the 15" so far, in particular battery life performance?
No issues with the battery life to be honest. Can't say I'm getting exactly 10.0 hours of continuous use (since I don't use the machine for 10 hrs straight), but I take to work fully charged and I don't put back on the charger until bedtime with many hours of use in between. Easily 7 hrs of use with a fairly bright display.

I don't stress the GPU too much, so no doubt that doing so will diminish the duration of which a full charge will last, but that's fully to be expected.

For me the machine has been great. No bizarre color/graphical glitches, but I don't use any Adobe CC software (which seems to be a frequent correlation to the video issues).

I bought the stock 2.7GHz/512GB/R455 model.

Reactions: Ma2k5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.