About to pull the trigger on a 2016 nTB 13" MBP... someone stop me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stanman64, Dec 6, 2016.

1. stanman64 macrumors 6502a

stanman64

Currently have a late-2013 rMBP i5 8gb 256gb. Will be selling and putting towards the 2016.

Reasons I'm going 2016 nTB i5 8gb 256gb:
    - Battery life (larger battery, less power draw from processor, no TB to power as compared to TB model)
    - Love the design and feel
    - Display is fantastic
    - Ports/new cables not important to me (although MagSafe will be missed...)
    - Geekbench score for 2016 MBP is better than my current MBP despite lesser-clocked processor
    - Better speakers (I use this often)
    - Can still get great resale value from current Mac (near mint condition, it will only depreciate more as I wait)

edit: formatting

2. Pootmatoot macrumors 6502a

As long as you've done a longish type test and like the keyboard, that looks like the sweetspot in the line-up.

3. bluush macrumors 6502

I have the base 13" nTB and have nothing but good things to say about it. No regrets at all - it's perfect for what I needed.

4. motime macrumors 6502

The non touch bar model is the only one that is priced reasonably, so it would be a worthwhile upgrade from 2013.

5. stanman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

stanman64

I've only spent less than 2 minutes trying out the new keyboard, and I wasn't put off by it. It felt good, but will definitely need to adjust I'm sure.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---
    Awesome! I'm looking forward to the upgrade to the Force Touch trackpad.

6. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

As far as I know you are getting a smaller battery going from 2013 to 2016. Unless you are comparing the TB vs nTB then you might wanna format it a little better to avoid confusion ...

7. stanman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

stanman64

Yes I am comparing nTB to TB. I put "as compared to TB version" after the battery stuff.

8. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Since you are asking someone to stop you ...

STOP NOW.

LOL

9. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Do it
    --- Post Merged, Dec 6, 2016 ---
    I double dog dare ya

10. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Just do it. Give the machine a great test, and you have till 8th Jan to return it if unhappy

11. stanman64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

stanman64

OKAY OKAY, I GIVE lol

12. housemd64 macrumors newbie

I went through the same decision process and after much research, went ahead with the base nTB. Have had the machine about 4 weeks now and have no regrets whatsoever. i was coming from a 2011 13" cMBP, so even more of a no brainer for me. Just be sure to give the kb a good workout... i persevered and now it's great, no going back.

13. sevoneone macrumors 6502

I have the same Late 2013 model. I don't really feel that compelled to update yet. Tempted, absolutely. The sleekness of the design and the display are great. Justifying it is hard. I need my ports. Adapters I could live with, but only two USB-C not so much. An 11-12% jump in CPU isn't really worth it. Battery life on the 2013 is already very good. The most worthwhile upgrade is probably the graphics.

Sounds like we have different use cases. For me, I think I will wait another generation and see if the value proposition on the Touch Bar models gets any better. If the current model meets your needs and has features you're looking for, I'd say there is enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade for you. Go for it.

14. westie3130 macrumors newbie

westie3130

I came from a 2010 MacBook pro, so anything would be better. I got the base 13 inch nTB , and could not be happier. Using HooToo Shuttle adapter to increase USB ports. Also, using it for power through. It all works. Love the laptop. Go for it!

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What does the 2016 model do, that the 2013 doesn't?

16. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

Ma2k5

Burn a hole in his wallet? :D

Jokes aside, excluding things like performance which won't really change much
    - Size/weight makes it a nicer machine
    - It will probably run cooler and quieter (that would be my main positive)
    - Gorgeous screen

As for if it is worth it, probably not, but then, it has been 3 years so, maybe he can give his old one to a friend/relative :).

17. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

...not sure why we need to stop you. The most I think we should do is point out anything you may have missed, during your assessment of the newer unit ;)

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

From what I hear (pun intended), the new keyboard is significantly louder when you type.

19. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

Ma2k5

I forgot about keyboard noise!

20. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I made the same change - a late 2013 rMBP to the 2016 nTB MBP. The new machine is in every way better than the 2013 MBP - not that the old machine was bad by any stretch, but the new one is faster and smoother in every way measurable.

I personally love the new keyboard and after a couple weeks using it, the slight clicky noise (which I actually like) has diminished in volume. Perhaps I've learned I don't need to press as hard, but either way the new keyboard -- IMHO -- is fantastic.

The screen, while the same resolution, is much brighter (not to mention P3 color space support). The new machines run much cooler than the 2013 does. And the battery on the nTB models is outstanding. Speed wise, the new machine feels twice as fast as the 2013 machine. Pages in Safari pop open instantly whereas there was always a small rendering delay with the 2013.

Ultimately I actually exchanged the 13" nTB for the 15" TB model, but not because I didn't like the 13" nTB machine. In fact, I think the nTB was a gateway drug to the new 15", lol.

21. Ma2k5 macrumors 65816

Ma2k5

How is your experience with the 15" so far, in particular battery life performance?

22. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Your experience with the new keyboard seems in line with other posters: overtime the user press the keys with smaller force, hence faster and less noisy.

Thanks for the feedback.

23. leman macrumors G3

24. jeffg819 macrumors regular

I was using a early 2015 MacBook before getting the TB 13" MBP about three weeks ago.

For most of what I used the machine for, the MB was a great tool. However, when I ran out of horsepower, things got painful quick.

The new MBP is for me a perfect combination of speed, screen, and size. And by far I find the most useful addition the fingerprint sensor. Such a great way to unlock the machine and provide my approval for various transactions.

A Mac laptop user since 2004, this is my favorite thus far. But take that with a grain of salt, I seem to say that about every new Mac I buy.

25. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

No issues with the battery life to be honest. Can't say I'm getting exactly 10.0 hours of continuous use (since I don't use the machine for 10 hrs straight), but I take to work fully charged and I don't put back on the charger until bedtime with many hours of use in between. Easily 7 hrs of use with a fairly bright display.

I don't stress the GPU too much, so no doubt that doing so will diminish the duration of which a full charge will last, but that's fully to be expected.

For me the machine has been great. No bizarre color/graphical glitches, but I don't use any Adobe CC software (which seems to be a frequent correlation to the video issues).

I bought the stock 2.7GHz/512GB/R455 model.