Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I have the same Late 2013 model. I don't really feel that compelled to update yet. Tempted, absolutely. The sleekness of the design and the display are great. Justifying it is hard. I need my ports. Adapters I could live with, but only two USB-C not so much. An 11-12% jump in CPU isn't really worth it. Battery life on the 2013 is already very good. The most worthwhile upgrade is probably the graphics.

Sounds like we have different use cases. For me, I think I will wait another generation and see if the value proposition on the Touch Bar models gets any better. If the current model meets your needs and has features you're looking for, I'd say there is enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade for you. Go for it.

What ports do you normally use and what for? The only time I can remember using more than two ports at once was when I was watching a movie on my TV (HDMI) from my external hard drive (USB), and charging at the same time (MagSafe). This is an avoidable situation, but could be an inconvience rarely.

I don't use external displays, SD cards, or any other peripherals. Mainly just need to plug it in, and plug in my iPhone.
[doublepost=1481118240][/doublepost]
What does the 2016 model do, that the 2013 doesn't?

Not much, which is why its a tough decision. It's a want vs need. New design, gorgeous display are the main driving factors. My 2013 is still very much capable, smooth, and fast.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
What does the 2016 model do, that the 2013 doesn't?

Nothing.

Also, why do so many people equate buying something with killing someone? And further: you don't "pull" a trigger unless you want to miss. You "squeeze" a trigger.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I made the same change - a late 2013 rMBP to the 2016 nTB MBP. The new machine is in every way better than the 2013 MBP - not that the old machine was bad by any stretch, but the new one is faster and smoother in every way measurable.

I personally love the new keyboard and after a couple weeks using it, the slight clicky noise (which I actually like) has diminished in volume. Perhaps I've learned I don't need to press as hard, but either way the new keyboard -- IMHO -- is fantastic.

The screen, while the same resolution, is much brighter (not to mention P3 color space support). The new machines run much cooler than the 2013 does. And the battery on the nTB models is outstanding. Speed wise, the new machine feels twice as fast as the 2013 machine. Pages in Safari pop open instantly whereas there was always a small rendering delay with the 2013.

Ultimately I actually exchanged the 13" nTB for the 15" TB model, but not because I didn't like the 13" nTB machine. In fact, I think the nTB was a gateway drug to the new 15", lol.

Good to hear someone coming from a similar model! Seems like a lot of people are coming from 2012 Macs or less.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
What ports do you normally use and what for? The only time I can remember using more than two ports at once was when I was watching a movie on my TV (HDMI) from my external hard drive (USB), and charging at the same time (MagSafe). This is an avoidable situation, but could be an inconvience rarely.

I don't use external displays, SD cards, or any other peripherals. Mainly just need to plug it in, and plug in my iPhone.

Apple figured out your the prototypical customer.

The only reason people bitch about the retina MB is because they can't charge it and have their iPhone plugged at the same time. Same goes for the lack of headphone jack, people don't care about the adapter but they want to charge their phone at the same time.

If you are fine with 2 ports just pull the trigger ! It's a great machine with fantastic battery life. The screen is amazing.

Reactions: stanman64

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Nothing.

Also, why do so many people equate buying something with killing someone? And further: you don't "pull" a trigger unless you want to miss. You "squeeze" a trigger.

A little unconstructive to the conversation here. Just a figure of speech... chill dude. And I'm a firearm enthusiast.
[doublepost=1481118665][/doublepost]
Apple figured out your the prototypical customer.

The only reason people bitch about the retina MB is because they can't charge it and have their iPhone plugged at the same time. Same goes for the lack of headphone jack, people don't care about the adapter but they want to charge their phone at the same time.

If you are fine with 2 ports just pull the trigger ! It's a great machine with fantastic battery life. The screen is amazing.

I suppose I am! I wouldn't call myself a "professional" in anything computer-related, but I do dabble in some recreational video editing and gaming, and I like knowing that my machine will not struggle with anything I throw at it.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Have you considered the 2015 model?

The 13 model comes with 2.7GHz and the non-touchbar MBP comes with 2.0GHz ... that means the older model is significantly faster right?

Also not sure how much more powerful the Iris 540 over the HD 6100

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Have you considered the 2015 model?

The 13 model comes with 2.7GHz and the non-touchbar MBP comes with 2.0GHz ... that means the older model is significantly faster right?

Also not sure how much more powerful the Iris 540 over the HD 6100

Speed isn't the main reason I am upgrading, look and feel of new design is main reason. I don't need the top specs, but I do expect it to perform well, which the base model will do for my needs.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Speed isn't the main reason I am upgrading, look and feel of new design is main reason. I don't need the top specs, but I do expect it to perform well, which the base model will do for my needs.

The actual performance difference is closer to 10%, i.e. smaller than one would imagine given the frequency differential. The TB model can sustain loads without throttling for longer periods.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
The actual performance difference is closer to 10%, i.e. smaller than one would imagine given the frequency differential. The TB model can sustain loads without throttling for longer periods.

Performance difference between nTB and TB?

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
I recommend spending a little extra and getting the touch-bar. I already love mine and use it a lot. Plus the potential is limitless once the app developers and software designers take hold.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Nothing.

It's just a stupid expression. Also, you have to say it verbatim, even though these never really 'add up' (another one there :D )

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

2013 isn't "that far back" to make upgrading a compelling choice -- yet.

With all the complaints about the 2016 models, you might consider "holding off" just one more production cycle, until next fall.

By then, Apple will have the bugs worked out with CPU and GPU upgrades, to boot.

Last edited:

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Correct. The 13" TB has a completely different CPU: 30 watts, different iGPU, etc. faster RAM as well.

Gotcha. And I knew the CPU was different, and have read/heard it pulls more power than the lesser-clocked CPU in the nTB model.

I'm having trouble finding reliable and valid tests/reviews done on battery life comparing the nTB and TB models. Most everything is just crappy over-produced reviews for click bait (like from TheVerge and every other tech website).
[doublepost=1481125879][/doublepost]
OP:

2013 isn't "that far back" to make upgrading a compelling choice -- yet.

With all the complaints about the 2016 models, you might consider "holding off" just one more production cycle, until next fall.

By then, Apple will have the bugs worked out with CPU and GPU upgrades, too boot.

This is all very true. I'm starting to think that if it is this tough of a choice, it shouldn't be a choice at all and I should just hold out. Hmph.

zul277

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2005
About to buy that tomorrow. Any issues with 8GB Ram? Would be using VM occasionally and not sure how it will impact it.

No issues with the battery life to be honest. Can't say I'm getting exactly 10.0 hours of continuous use (since I don't use the machine for 10 hrs straight), but I take to work fully charged and I don't put back on the charger until bedtime with many hours of use in between. Easily 7 hrs of use with a fairly bright display.

I don't stress the GPU too much, so no doubt that doing so will diminish the duration of which a full charge will last, but that's fully to be expected.

For me the machine has been great. No bizarre color/graphical glitches, but I don't use any Adobe CC software (which seems to be a frequent correlation to the video issues).

I bought the stock 2.7GHz/512GB/R455 model.

Reactions: MacBH928

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I recommend spending a little extra and getting the touch-bar. I already love mine and use it a lot. Plus the potential is limitless once the app developers and software designers take hold.

But aren't all the touch-bar models the ones that are more likely to experience battery and graphics issues?

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I'm coming from a Mid 2012 MBA and am planning to upgrade as well.

Elcompa

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
NC, USA
No issues with the battery life to be honest. Can't say I'm getting exactly 10.0 hours of continuous use (since I don't use the machine for 10 hrs straight), but I take to work fully charged and I don't put back on the charger until bedtime with many hours of use in between. Easily 7 hrs of use with a fairly bright display.

I don't stress the GPU too much, so no doubt that doing so will diminish the duration of which a full charge will last, but that's fully to be expected.

For me the machine has been great. No bizarre color/graphical glitches, but I don't use any Adobe CC software (which seems to be a frequent correlation to the video issues).

I bought the stock 2.7GHz/512GB/R455 model.

Funny. This is about where I am too. 7 hrs of actual use during the day, bright display (I have crappy eyes). I run all day...Safari (0 a few tabs open, Outlook, Skype, Business Communicator, a Word doc open, sometimes a PowerPoint presentation, Message. Im on a NTB MPB late 2016 13". Works great. Fast keyboard, snappy response/opening tabs and looking things up. No problems. I came from a mid 2012 r MBP 15 inch, 8 Ram, 256.

This one is much lighter, smaller, more apt to go with me, and feels more up to date. Very happy...you should do it.

Plus: I sold my mid 2012 15" for $825 and put it toward my NTB MPB 13" base. In 2 years, when an update comes out, Ill give this to my some in college or daughter in high school.

Last edited:

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
But aren't all the touch-bar models the ones that are more likely to experience battery and graphics issues?

I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I'm coming from a Mid 2012 MBA and am planning to upgrade as well.

My battery life is phenomenal and it keeps getting better the more I use it. I think I could get a solid 10-12 hours with low level use. It is by far the best battery in a laptop I've ever had including the new commercial grade lenovos I just bought for my business. No graphics problems either.
[doublepost=1481146236][/doublepost]
My battery life is phenomenal and it keeps getting better the more I use it. I think I could get a solid 10-12 hours with low level use. It is by far the best battery in a laptop I've ever had including the new commercial grade lenovos I just bought for my business. No graphics problems either.

BTW, compared to your 2012 battery life, this will feel endless.

matixryder

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
256gb Probably too small for you if you are going to run a VM on it. I picked the 15" one, I love the machine man. The problem is the machine runs to cool, so I cannot use it as a heater during this winter :(

Dr_Charles_Forbin

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2016
If you're going to run a VM - I'd go to 16GB and definitely more storage. One thing I did notice on my 2015 15" rMBP that I didn't notice on my 13" 2015 rMBP - when the VM launches - the fan cranks up right away and keeps running (non dGPU). This is on the 2015 - not even the 2016. I'd check more into it.

BTW - so happy I didn't wait for the 2016 :) Battery life doesn't surprise me with a dGPU - they still don't seem to be able to get that right.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
[doublepost=1481146236][/doublepost]

BTW, compared to your 2012 battery life, this will feel endless.

Well your case seems to be more of an exception as a fair number of users on here have reported much lower numbers. Generally speaking, I think the touch-bar model is more prone to issues. People have experienced UI lag and glitches with the touch-bar. Plus it's not exactly clear how useful the touch-bar is going to be in the long run. I also worry about not having dedicated escape and function keys for applications like VM.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
-- UPDATE --

Thank you everyone for the awesome feedback. However, I think I caved...

IMG_0720.jpg

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Well your case seems to be more of an exception as a fair number of users on here have reported much lower numbers. Generally speaking, I think the touch-bar model is more prone to issues. People have experienced UI lag and glitches with the touch-bar. Plus it's not exactly clear how useful the touch-bar is going to be in the long run. I also worry about not having dedicated escape and function keys for applications like VM.

Yes, it is the exception when this website has become the place for people to complain and sometimes completely lie about their experiences. But the great, great majority of owners are happy and never bother to come to MR to even see all the drama. Don't buy the Bull.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.