About to switch to Verizon...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Drew1204, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Drew1204 macrumors member

I know that there are a few other threads out there about a similar topic but I have a few more personal questions and didn't want to thread jack.

I have an iPhone 4 on ATT and am not eligible for an upgrade until February. ATT is not very good around my home and I am always between 1-3 bars, then E, then a little circle, then back to E, then maybe 1-2 bars of 3G again (I am not looking to make this an ATT vs Verizon thread.)

I want to switch to Verizon but am unsure of the best way of doing so because I also want to get the iPhone 5 when it comes out but want to get the unlimited data so I need to decide in the next week or so.

Either I can buy the Verizon iPhone for $299 and sign a 2 year contract. OR I can go on Craigslist and buy a 32GB iPhone for around 500-600 and then get a month to month contract with Verizon for unlimited data.

If I buy the phone through Verizon and sign a 2 year contract would it be possible to pay an early upgrade fee for the iPhone 5 in September?

If I buy a phone through Craigslist month to month will I be able to buy the iPhone 5 for full price or somehow get the iPhone 5 and still keep my unlimited plan?

I want to get the iPhone 5 in Sept. with unlimited data and be grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data. What is the best route to take?

Thanks

2. flipster macrumors 6502a

Get a crappy smartphone for like $50 on craigslist, activate just a data plan with no minutes or texts, and keep it until september until the iPhone 5 comes out. That's pretty much your best bet.

3. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Do what I did: Switch to Big Red, do it at Best Buy. Get the BuyBack program.

When the iPhone 5 comes out, sell them back your iPhone 4 and you get the iPhone 5 at subsidized price again. Not literally, of course, but with the BuyBack program it's a wash.

Yay!

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Have you considered this yet?:
    http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/3gmicrocell.jsp?fbid=N7Y09iihzGx
    If you just have the problem at home I think it might be worth it.

As for unlimited data question...yes you can purchase one of craigs list and activate it on verizon and get grandfathered in. Only issue to make sure the ESN is bad or else verizon won't take it. Honestly having a GSM iPhone 4 is just a better deal. Most likely better resale value, etc. Not to mention your going to have to go through allot of trouble with ETF's with AT&T unless you can show your service is REALLY bad. Sometimes AT&T will even waive the price of the microcell or ETF depending on your case.

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

6. Drew1204 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys,

I have heard the microcell network is down currently. I have been taking screen shots of all of the times my phone has 0 bars, searching etc. Not sure if that would help when trying to cancel ATT.

In terms of buying a cheaper phone for $50 I heard since it is a different phone that it may not transfer and that it must be / apple - apple & android - android (rumors) and locked to that phone.

Buying from Bestbuy buy back program would be nice and hassle free, but they only give you $350 for a phone that is easily worth 500+...

Thanks for your comments thus far! Ahhh... can't make a decision! :eek:

7. flipster macrumors 6502a

Unlimited data plans aren't confined to Android and iOS devices :).

You could get a crappy blackberry for like $50, activate it for a $30 a month data plan with no minutes and texts until september, then when the iPhone 5 comes out just upgrade to it. I'm pretty sure you can do this, many actually are trying to lock into an unlimited plan. Verizon has more than enough bandwidth to support unlimited, it's just corporate greed :mad:

8. Drew1204, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

Drew1204 thread starter macrumors member

Where is the best place to get the Palm Pixi Plus for Verizon? I just need to take it into a Verizon store then and tell them I want the unlimited data plan? Will it be 45 to activate and 30 / month til Sept?

How will it work when I want to get the iPhone 5 in Sept and transferring the palm's unlimited plan to the iPhone 5?

9. flipster macrumors 6502a

I think you might actually have to purchase minutes with the data plan, I could be wrong.

Get your butt to Verizon, people are only grandfathered in until July 7, and it's worth a talk with one of the representatives. They can be much more of a help. If not, do what the other poster above did and do the buy back program with best buy.

10. Drew1204, Jun 27, 2011

Drew1204 thread starter macrumors member

I have decided to just buy a cheap Palm Pixi...

When the iPhone 5 comes out how can I get the Verizon iPhone 5 with no contract? Is it possible to purchase the Verizon phone outright for $600+ and then transfer over the unlimited data from the pixi to the iPhone? I am just a little confused.

Thanks

EDIT: Just read on a few other forums

"it's reasonable to assume that you'll be grandfathered for as long as you keep your current device. Verizon has shown that when they release new phone's they make the new phones non compatible with some older plans or features."

"The trick is that you can't take a contract renewal (e.g. a new equipment discount). You also can't activate a new "type" of phone on your plan. They will just tell you that it is "incompatible". Therefore it is very likely that if the iphone5 is 4G, the pixi 3G won't grandfather you in. When you call to switch, they will just tell you that your current plan isn't compatible."

11. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Uhm. buy a palm pixi from amazon for 45 bucks. Lock the unlimited data.
    No one knows if month to month payers will be able to lock unlimited for next upgrades, but contracts will be able to. So its pretty much flipping a coin.

I am buying a palm pixi, make it in hiatus from july to september while I use my other phone.

12. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Bad idea and bad advice.

That is a rip off program. You sell it on Ebay or Craigslist you will make money on that device vs Best Buy stupid buy back.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/229300874

13. Drew1204 thread starter macrumors member

At this point I am either going to buy an iPhone 4 on Verizon or an HTC Thunderbolt and not deal with the pixi.

If I buy the iPhone for 299 on Verizon, in September how will I get the iPhone 5 while keeping unlimited data?

14. dickdaney, Jun 27, 2011

dickdaney macrumors regular

You'll get the phone 5 by paying $750+tax for a unsubsidized phone. I just switched to Verizon after my 3GS died. If you want the iPhone 5 and unlimited data, you're going to shell out some cash. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

15. flipster macrumors 6502a

I mean, you could start a contract with Verizon.

$30 a month, unlimited data, grandfathered in
    $45 a month for 450 minutes
    $20 unlimited texting
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    $100 a month total

Then the iPhone is $200. When you sell it in September, you could probably get like $450 for it, and then pay $650 for the 5 if you need it that bad (I see no point in it, it's most likely not going to be 4G, and faster processor for what? To open apps 1 second quicker?) Anyway, you'd end up paying $200 for the iPhone 5 in September if you did that.

16. ap3604 macrumors 68000

What are you talking about?

Microcell is for making calls -- not data

If your at home and have a microcell plugged into your wifi then just connect your iPhone to your wifi as well for data. Problem solved ;)

17. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

You are charged for using the Microcell. Voice is still a form of data in the end.

So I get X minutes per month at a certain rate, operating a Microcell adds another monthly fee for another bucket of minutes that only applies to use of the Microcell.

18. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Hmmm thats weird because I got mine for free from Att and they don't charge me any kind of fee to use it.

19. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

WOW.

They gave me my Microcell for free and wasn't charged anything to use it. Still didn't keep me with AT&T but wasn't charged for it at all.

20. FX4568 macrumors 6502

I understand its your money and your life, but... 299 for a smartphone and 325 for ETF is 625 + the new iphone you will get it would result in a price of 925 bucks. Lets say you sell your CDMA phone for 400 bucks. thats 525 + risks (in case you arent able to sell your iphone at desired price)

While the palm pixi would cost 50 bucks and 300 totalling to 350. lets say u can sell it for half price. that would be 325. and peace of mind since 50 bucks wont matter that much if u sell it or not.

Of course its your money, but sometimes patience does pay off. Anyways, good luck with whatever you are doing bro. Apple didnt realease the iPhone and verizon is tiering its data. what worse nightmare is there for iphone buyers?

21. soco macrumors 68030

soco

It's not that AT&T charges you to use the MicroCell for calls. And for what it's worth, the MicroCell provides 3G for voice AND data.

The problem is, you need to use your own internet connection at home to power the MicroCell's 3G connection. In other words, you're buying something from AT&T so you can have their product use your home internet to give it to your phone.

I think a lot of people go into the MicroCell situation thinking it's going to have it's own, somehow, stronger 3G receiver inside to get you a better AT&T signal.

This isn't true. You get a nice, strong, [insert ISP] signal here, in the form of fake 3G.

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

From my experience I didn't have to pay a dime for my Microcell so it was totally free. Why not just use your wifi for data? Not sure why you would use the Microcell for data.

23. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

That's exactly what I was thinking...The microcell is just another Node B (aka a 3G UMTS base station) but smaller and there for does not discriminate its self from other Node B's other than the "AT&T Micro-Cell" carrier tag when connected. Also you can get unlimited calling for it and get rid of your home phone..just use wifi and NOT 3G for data at home..I wish Verizon was like this I would love one that I didn't have to pay extra a month for....

24. o JRoD o macrumors member

o JRoD o

You are not charged for using the Microcell. AT&T gives you an option to add Microcell calling for a price each month. Otherwise you just use your existing minutes.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well if you are in range of a MicroCell you should be running on wifi any how. It takes less power and you would get a much faster data rate.

They only charge you extra if you put on the unlimited calling from a microcell. Other wise they just take it from your minute plan no extra fees.