Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EddyP

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
Bad idea and bad advice.

That is a rip off program. You sell it on Ebay or Craigslist you will make money on that device vs Best Buy stupid buy back.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/229300874
The nice thing is it's a set price when they buy it back. So you know how much you're getting. Plus you don't have to deal with scammers and other idiots on ebay or CL. Take it in, get credit, upgrade. Easy.

Buying the newest technology and constantly upgrading isn't a smart financial move to begin with. It's funny what people decide to count their pennies about.

ap3604

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2011
I still wonder if I should switch to Verizon or not due to the 5x more 3G coverage.

Would you rather have:
A) 0.5 - 1 mbps guaranteed in 5x more places?
B) 3 - 4 mbps but in 5x less places? (edge 0.1 mbps everywhere else)

I probably have to just stick w/ Att due to their favorable pricing and Verizon's cockiness but DAMN is it tempting to have the ubiquitous 3g coverage of Verizon...

MortalDays

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
I have the exact same situation lol. Here is my thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1177075/

I think switching to Verizon is a good idea to retain the unlimited data plan. I am getting the iPhone 4 through the Best Buy BuyBack Program. I think it is the best route to take in order to get the iPhone 5 when it comes out. Here is the price break down for me (you probably have similar)- i am choosing scenario 1:

Scenario 1:
~~Switch to Verizon NOW with 2 year contract and an iPhone 4 @ BEST BUY:
1) At&t Early Termination Fee = +$60
+ 2) iPhone 4 = +$200
+ 3) Best Buy Buy Back Program = +$40
+ 4) Verizon Activation Fee = +$35
- 5) Sell back iPhone 4 to Best Buy in September = -$350
+ 6) Buy iPhone 5 in September = +$700
- 7) Selling my iPhone 3GS = +$200
------------------------------------------
TOTAL COST: $485

Scenario 2:
~~Switch to Verizon with Palm Pixi without 2 year contract (chance of not retaining the unlimited data since it is unverifiable with Verizon)
1) Palm Pixi = $80 (with express shipping to receive it before July 7th)
+ 2) At&t Early Termination Fee = +$95
+ 3) iPhone 5 in September = +$200 (w/ 2 year contract start in September)
- 4) Selling my iPhone 3GS = +$200
-------------------------------------------
TOTAL COST: $115

Last edited:

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I understand its your money and your life, but... 299 for a smartphone and 325 for ETF is 625 + the new iphone you will get it would result in a price of 925 bucks. Lets say you sell your CDMA phone for 400 bucks. thats 525 + risks (in case you arent able to sell your iphone at desired price)

Not sure why you're factoring an ETF. By paying the ETF you're closing your account, therefore when you sign up for a new account you will be stuck with tiered data rather than keeping the unlimited.

What I would suggest is buying an iPhone 4 now on a 2-year contract. That's $199 or $299 depending on which storage capacity you want. Therefore you'll get unlimited data for at least the next 2 years.

When the iPhone 5 comes out, pay full retail price, which if they keep the same prices, will be $649 or $749 (prices from verizonwireless.com)

So, if you sell your iPhone 4 for $400, on hardware alone you will have spent: $450 (16GB) or $650 (32GB) of course tax isn't factored in here.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Heres the problem... when you lock in the Pixi, iPhone 4... etc.. plans, does that include LTE?

When you buy the Pixi or iPhone 4, they are considered 3G devices. When you get your iPhone 5, it will also be considered a 3G device. But when the iPhone 6 comes out next year, and it has LTE, would you be able to get LTE unlimited also? Remember, with LTE it uses a SIM. Going from a non-sim 3G phone (iPhone 5) to a LTE phone (iPhone 6) might muck up the whole unlimited data thing. Verizon might say, "Oh sorry, your going from a 3G device to a 4G device, your going to have to pick a usage based tier"

With any 4G phones such as Thunderbolt or Charge, for sure its a guaranteed LTE grandfathered account.

It might be safer to sign up for a 2 year contract and get the Thunderbolt now and then buy the iPhone 5 outright for $750 and then do a ESN switch and use the iPhone 5.

But heres another snag.... if you do that Verizon says if you don't switch back to the LTE SIM in 90 days, the SIM will be deactivated. So you might have to swap back and forth to keep the LTE 4G alive.

I found this article to be helpful but the author didn't factor in taxes or setup fees. http://www.appleownz.com/2011/06/25/should-you-go-to-verizon-for-unlimited-data-before-its-too-late/

DLyman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Rockford, IL
But heres another snag.... if you do that Verizon says if you don't switch back to the LTE SIM in 90 days, the SIM will be deactivated. So you might have to swap back and forth to keep the LTE 4G alive.
[/url]

The second you take that line that has the thunderbolt on it and switch it to use a different phone, that sim is dead. The only way to get the thunderbolt working again is to go to VZW and get a new sim.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
The second you take that line that has the thunderbolt on it and switch it to use a different phone, that sim is dead. The only way to get the thunderbolt working again is to go to VZW and get a new sim.

Wow that sucks.. where did you get this info and is this confirmed?

I was going to go sign up for a 2 year with the Thunderbolt tomorrow and then when the iPhone 5 comes out, just pay the full $750 and swap the ESN to use the iPhone 5. I was then going to keep the Thunderbolt and swap back and forth if I ever need to (ex: If i'm going to a concert or amusement park, I would rather bring my Thunderbolt in case if it gets damaged. Leave the iPhone 5 at home safe and sound)

I read about the "90 day to switch back to LTE SIM" here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...-thunderbolt-cdma-device-ready-give-up-2.html

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Not sure why you're factoring an ETF. By paying the ETF you're closing your account, therefore when you sign up for a new account you will be stuck with tiered data rather than keeping the unlimited.

What I would suggest is buying an iPhone 4 now on a 2-year contract. That's $199 or $299 depending on which storage capacity you want. Therefore you'll get unlimited data for at least the next 2 years.

When the iPhone 5 comes out, pay full retail price, which if they keep the same prices, will be $649 or $749 (prices from verizonwireless.com)

So, if you sell your iPhone 4 for $400, on hardware alone you will have spent: $450 (16GB) or $650 (32GB) of course tax isn't factored in here.

wouldnt that be worse?

iPhone 4 (199) + iPhone 5 (750) - iPhone 4 (400) = 550?

DLyman

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
Rockford, IL
Wow that sucks.. where did you get this info and is this confirmed?

I was going to go sign up for a 2 year with the Thunderbolt tomorrow and then when the iPhone 5 comes out, just pay the full $750 and swap the ESN to use the iPhone 5. I was then going to keep the Thunderbolt and swap back and forth if I ever need to (ex: If i'm going to a concert or amusement park, I would rather bring my Thunderbolt in case if it gets damaged. Leave the iPhone 5 at home safe and sound)

I read about the "90 day to switch back to LTE SIM" here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ht...-thunderbolt-cdma-device-ready-give-up-2.html

I used to own a thunderbolt. It may say that 90 day thing, but that doesn't matter.
Here is one link to a post on one of the Android forums. If you dig around, you'll find others stating the same thing.

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
I used to own a thunderbolt. It may say that 90 day thing, but that doesn't matter.
Here is one link to a post on one of the Android forums. If you dig around, you'll find others stating the same thing.

Ah got it, thank you!!

Now I officially don't know what I want to do. My choices if I want to go to Verizon are:

1. Get the Thunderbolt now and then get the iPhone 5 at full price. But the bad thing about this is once I go with the iPhone 5, the LTE SIM dies. When the iPhone 6 comes out next year with LTE I would have to get a SIM for it and then Verizon might screw us over and say "Sorry, since you need a new LTE SIM, you need to sign up for a tier"

2. Get the Thunderbolt and just live with it for a year until the iPhone 6 LTE comes out next year.

AHHHH!!!! What to do........

Last edited:

FX4568

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
Ah got it, thank you!!

Now I officially don't know what I want to do. My choices if I want to go to Verizon are:

1. Get the Thunderbolt now and then get the iPhone 5 at full price. But the bad thing about this is once I go with the iPhone 5, the LTE SIM dies. When the iPhone 6 comes out next year with LTE I would have to get a SIM for it and then Verizon might screw us over and say "Sorry, since you need a new LTE SIM, you need to sign up for a tier"

2. Get the Thunderbolt and just live with it for a year until the iPhone 6 LTE comes out next year.

AHHHH!!!! What to do........

when nothing works, sue them! (thats what apple and the big companies do)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.