Absolute Nightmare, please help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dt1982, Apr 11, 2011.

1. dt1982 macrumors newbie

Hi,

having a nightmare.

Have a macbook pro with 4gb factory installed ram. all working fine.

bought a new hd for it, backed my old one up using time machine. replaced the drives, booted from the snow leopard disks that came with it, partitioned it to 1 partition mac os journaled then tried to restore from a backup, selected the backup disk and set it off.

said it wold take 120 hours (back up is about 230 gb - new drive is 1tb) so i left it overnight, came back down to it and it had got to 8% saying 100 ours remaining.

i need it for work on wednesday!!!!

cancelled that, partitioned it again using disk utility (again, 1 partition - 1tb, mac os journaled)

tried to install snow leopard and then restore from disk utility once it had osx on it. install failed after about 2 minutes.

trying restoring from a backup again....

in the meantime, any ideas???????/

cheers

david

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Garamond macrumors regular

CarbonCopyCloner would be my suggestion also, hopefully you'll get it fixed in time.

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

How is your time machine disk connected to your computer? USB? WiFi?

If WiFi, then that might be part of your problem.

There is no possible way that it could take two-hundred-some-hours. I've done this many times, but always via a USB-connected backup drive. Something is wrong. You have a slow trickle for a data connection somewhere, or one drive or the other is failing. Hope it's a connection issue.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

is the new hdd a seagate momentus? if it is about 1 in 10 to 1 in 20 come Soa not Doa Soa means slow on arrival they work at 10 to 20 percent speed and never get better. sounds like this is your problem.. Note i have only seen this in seagate 2.5 inch disks. next up time machine is a slow way to restore... if you put a blank hdd in your computer partition it with the install disk do a fresh install. run the computer for a while to see if the install worked. last step call up the migration app and migrate the old hdd info to the fresh install. just drop your old hdd in a case like this

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/NewerTech/Voyager/Hard_Drive_Dock

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Can't you put the old hard drive back in again? If so, I'd do that to meet your deadline. Then, only afterward, use CCC as recommended by others.

Time Machine is much better at pulling individual files than it is as a whole system restore. It's supposed to do the latter, but it doesn't do it very well.

8. TorontoLRT macrumors 6502

9. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

That's what I used when I upgraded my hard drive. Worked like a charm!

10. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    i always install new HDD by installing snow leopard clean install via usb - sata adapter - i do not migrate the data in initial step. After set-up i then re-start and boot from new hdd and have an explore to ensure drive seems ok before opening my MBP. One has to bear in mind the usb hdd will be somewhat slower than when it is running over sata.

I then swap over HDD, boot-up as normal and use data migration app to pull my data! I also have my old hdd connected to a dock and SL dvd handy in-case boot-up fails!

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Same here. I couldn't believe how easy it was. I had more success with it than with Time Machine :mad: