Absolute Radio Silence Over New 2016 Design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Dec 6, 2015.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Looks like Tim Cook has sorted out the leaks in the supply chain.

No news, at all, about any potential new redesigned MacBook Pro 14".

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

rMBP to retain roughly the same form factor, with a Skylake a slightly newer GPU bump, along with USB-C/TB3 ports.

MBA to go away, replaced by multiple sizes (eg. 12" & 14") of the rMB with mobile CPU across that line.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

as always, anything and everything is just rumor, speculation anyway, until actual product is shown...by apple. breathe. wait. :cool: some sort of update will come, probably early 2016. probably...

5. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

We've all heard of the Osborne effect. If Apple said anything about future models that could only hurt sales of the present line-up. Personally I can't understand anyone waiting for a 2016 computer, for why not go the whole hog and hang on for the 2026 model?

6. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I hate to be the downer with this, but I am not looing forward to any redesign for the MacBook line. Apple is pushing innovation so much that it is no longer taking into consideration what people actually want or need. I really hope it is amazing but I have a feeling it will be a pretty package with out the things we really need/want.

On a side note. Please don't take this as an I hate Apple post as Apple holds a special place in my heart. Its just, if you look at the give and take from the innovation over the years, I would rather have less. Thinner laptops = cant upgrade anything, Better battery life = less powerful GPUs, smaller MacPros = no PCI card slots and single CPU. I'm not sure what else they could do at this point to the MacBook line, but at this point I want them to leave it alone.

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

this could be someone's take at any time in apple history. things have to change, it's the nature of design, and technology. AND it's business; keeps people buying (those who lust for 'new'). i loved my first powerbook, but am happier with my new macbook pro. same with the iphone. what people want or need? new, faster, lighter, better. 'better' may be a relative term, but eveyone has their own version of what that means. meanwhile, progress is unstoppable...

8. Oppenheim macrumors 6502

Apple never built their machines with "compatibility" as a major driver.

Apple set the trend. Others follow.

Apple removed optical drives many years ago. People thought they were crazy. Apple put retina displays on their laptops years ago. People thought it was "pointless". Apple will remove all connectors (including 3.5mm and SD slots) and only have USB-C. People will jump up and down and complain. Eventually, these people will thank them.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unlike the iPhone, there's rarely any leaks or rumors on the Mac line. The closest thing to leaks was the info about a potential 12" laptop, which turned out to be the retina MacBook. Most other news about the Macs have not been leaked.

10. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Before I say anymore, please know I am not trying to argue. These are just my opinions :). Its a matter of every update they do these days we loose something. This is only talking about Macs. While I love my 2015 15' MBP it was the hardest choice I have had to make buying a computer. Being a long time Apple user I am no stranger to the premium we pay for these amazing and well built machines. But its getting harder to pull the trigger. My MBP retails for $2,499. its the entry level with AMD. While I would not expect to be able to upgrade the CPU, I would like to be able to retain my ability to upgrade the RAM and Harddrive. These are things you are now stuck with in the MacBook line. As fast as the flash memory is, $500 for 1TB from the 512GB is huge, and for people buy a "Pro" machine for professional needs, 512GB may not be enough but if you don't bite the bullet you'll never get it.

The same could be said for the GPU in this model. Apple gave us a lighter, thinner, and more battery efficient machine. But it cost us GPU power as anything higher than the m370x would generate more heat and take more power. Again, a Pro Machine restrictions that hurt the "Pro" user.

The biggest examples of this is the MacPro. They took a huge tower and condensed it to a small beautiful computer. But at a loss for the "Pro" user. Being that these systems are largely used by Music and Design professionals. Music professionals heavily use the PCI card slots for several different reasons from equipment hook up to extra processing power for plugins. Having professional musicians in the family this has really hindered them from upgrading.

The other is graphics professionals. These people rely largely on GPU processing power. The GPU in the MacPro is not that grate. Even using two of them is not super amazing. The loss of the PCI card slots means no more upgrading your graphics card. Your stuck with what ever you get at the time of purchases. So, your buying this very expensive "Pro" computer with a non-upgradable mid-level Server class GPU.

Other people rely largely on the CPU power of the Xeon processes in these MacPros. And while the options are very good for what chip you get, you used to be able to get two of them..

I just don't think the MacPro/MacBook Pro's are very "Pro" anymore. Maybe a re-design will help this, but it worries me.

P.S. I have a bad cold so please forgive any grammatical errors :)

11. Samuelsan2001, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015

Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

All of apples computers are perfectly fine for the market they are aimed at.

13 inch rMBP a small powerful capable laptop perfect for the IT professional around town. (most profeesionals that need a small portable laptop woudl find this machine perfect for their use)

15 inch rMBP a slim and relatively light but very powerful laptop with decent graphics options and fantastic battery life great for audio/visual or engineering/scientific professionals on the move. (Graphics professionals will do all their huge rendering etc on massive desktop computers with dual graphics cards, this would only ever be a portable stopgap for anyone serious in this industry).

The Mac pro is out of date but show me a professional grade computer that isn't, GPU's for these machine are all about stability and longevity, they aren't the best cards out there but they certainly aren't the worst and they are optimised for apples software. They are powerful quiet and cool and can run 24/7 for years at a time exactly what a proffesional needs.

You mainly seem to be upset that apples computers have got thinner and lighter and way more portable while maintaining a steady performance and battery increase accross the board. This is the way it should be, professionals don't want cutting edge hot loud and with a rubbish battery life for a few minutes shaved off a render or similar process, they want a machine that can last hours without a charge thats easy to carry about and gets the job done admirably with a minimum of fuss.

The best computer is always the one you have with you and that has the battery life to keep working as you need it, massive performance is pointless if the computer is too big hot and heavy to carry about and the battery only lasts an hour or two.

12. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Because 2016 is next month, while 2026 is about a decade away? Is that a serious question?

13. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

It is, because any new Mac design is likely to be well into 2016, and then the 2017 prospect will be on the horizon, and so on, through and beyond 2026.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't go that far, there's plenty of complaining about the MacPro and its lack of storage. People are largely disappointed in the Mac Mini not being quad core as well. Generally I think apple hits the mark but they're not perfect and I think they could improve things.

15. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

What an idiotic thing to say. Waiting ~3-6 months because I don't absolutely require a new laptop right now is nowhere near the same as comparing it to waiting indefinitely.

Just because you feel bad that your recent purchase will soon be starkly outdated.

16. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

Everybody's recent purchases will soon be outdated, but still perfectly functional, and that will apply if you buy in 2017, or 2018, or whenever.

I don't visit forums to trade insults.

17. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

They're not perfect, but imperfection hasn't stopped them becoming a colossus!

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Imo, the new Mac Pro is apple weakest product and is not "colossal" Apple has some mighty fine products but I don't consider the Mac Pro at over 3k, and no expandability something that's better then the old design. The Mac Mini is the same thing where apple did addition through subtraction, i.e., took something away and said it was better.

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The Mac pro has six thunderbolt ports and six usb ports storage is not an issue.

The only mac minis to be quadcore were the 2011 and 2012 versions which had chip sets where the dual and quad core mobile chips both used the same socket making it easy and cheap for apple to provide that option, Haswell and broadwell chips don't provide this interchangability and that is why the Mini lost the quad core, it was always meant to be an entry level mini desktop not a quadcore beast.

I agree that they are not perfect but I do believe in trying to understand their design decisions and the intenet behind each product, not just moaning because they don't make exactly what I want.
    Of course if apple don't make what you want or need, buy something else, the only way to get apple to change what they are doing is to vote with your wallet, but as they are the only computer manufacturer with increased sales year on year i think you are fighting a losing battle there.

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think he was referring to Apple itself as being the colossus not so much the computers themselves.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

External storage, many people prefer internal storage. The gist of the problems people have been posting is that there's no drive bays

I see, yes in that case, I agree.

22. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

This is a projection of your own attempt to appease yourself.

If you don't have an immediate need for a laptop, and you know Apple will be releasing significantly updated notebook in a few months, then you should wait for it. That's common sense shopping.

23. leman macrumors 604

Have you ever though that what you want is different from what most users want?

24. leman macrumors 604

Yes, this is one of the examples of what people want vs. what they actually need. Eternal storage is more flexible, more reliable and offers same (or better) performance. The only downside is a slightly higher price.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not arguing its a solution, but all I am pointing out is that many of the folks who buy that type of a machine are unhappy with Apple's direction. I think we can get bogged down on what's better (internal vs. external) which happens quite often in the Mac Pro forum, but my point was the choices that Apple made were counter to what people wanted and that in of itself had effected sales.