Absolute rip-off

blergh!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
OK... preparing for the flaming but...

I have been an Apple customer for nearly 15 years. 4 macbook pros. 3 iphones and the temptation of an ipad for many months now.

I was eagerly waiting an AFFORDABLE Ipad mini.

£269 ($329) for this base level device is an absolute rip-off.

Apple you should be ashamed of yourselves. I sold into your infrastructure and will now be seriously considering ever investing in your over-priced gear again.

Happy buying to those who disagree but for me this is one step too far.

Greed is NOT good.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006

I have been an Apple customer for nearly 15 years. 4 macbook pros. 3 iphones and the temptation of an ipad for many months now.

Apple you should be ashamed of yourselves. I sold into your infrastructure and will now be seriously considering ever investing in your over-priced gear again.

Greed is NOT good.
Calm down. Breath deeply......

blergh!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Oh I'm calm... calmly watching Apple's stock price tumble too....

blergh!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Not a charity... but maybe just a 21st century snake oil seller?

Saturnine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Few things wrong with that...

$329 is actually £206. The 20% VAT charged by the UK government takes it to £247. I will assume the other £22 is logistics and import costs.

The $329 charged in the US is exclusive of state and local sales taxes too. So an item advertised at $329 actually costs around $360 (in California.)

I do agree though that £269 for the base model (and therefore probably £369 for the base cellular model) of what is, supposed to be, an entry-level tablet is really quite expensive.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
You've bought macbook pros, and you're complaining about a $329 iPad?

I call BS.

Welcome to the site, nice first troll post! :)

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yeah...b/c that never happens after product announcements...never...ever....:rolleyes:

And if you don't want to buy Apple stock, then don't, but here's what I see: https://www.google.com/finance?chdn...e&q=NASDAQ:AAPL&ntsp=0&ei=U-iGUMjVL4esqgGO5QE

Not a charity... but maybe just a 21st century snake oil seller?
Except for Apple isn't a religion and you don't have to partake. Just sell your stuff and leave the forums. What's the problem, here? :eek:

blergh!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
For a powerhouse of a laptop the Macbook pro is worth it.

Do you seriously think the outdated tech and low spec of the IPad mini is worth so much?

Google must be laughing out loud tonight...

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
When weren't Apple products overpriced? Just wait and see, iPad mini will still sell millions. They're better than the competition and they can get away with pricing it high. There's no reason for Apple to price it aggressively when consumers are willing to pay more.

blergh!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
There's aggressive pricing and rip-off pricing. I'm saying the latter applies here!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
For a powerhouse of a laptop the Macbook pro is worth it.

Do you seriously think the outdated tech and low spec of the IPad mini is worth so much?

Google must be laughing out loud tonight...

Nah, I'd say crying b/c even though a few numbers are higher on a spec sheet, they know that the iPad Mini is still going to take them to town. :eek:

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Greed is NOT good.
If you have been with Apple for 15 years then you of all people should know!

blergh!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Yep methinks it's time to explore a new OS... Nexus 7 is getting rave reviews and a 32gb one with back camera will fly for them at a reasonable price.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yep methinks it's time to explore a new OS... Nexus 7 is getting rave reviews and a 32gb one with back camera will fly for them at a reasonable price.
It is nice to have a choice. If you don't like the iPad Mini, then get something else. No one is forcing you to buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.