Absolute worst time to buy MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kendo, Apr 13, 2015.

  1. Kendo macrumors 68000

    Apr 4, 2011
    I know there is the old adage that there is no good time to buy a computer (since they will always become obsolete). But would now be the worst of the worst time to buy a MBP?

    With Skylake coming out in less than a year and new technologies that are in the MB but haven't fully translated to the MBP (new keyboard, thinner Retina screen, smaller logic board, Space Gray and Gold colors, Force Touch on 15") and the fact that the unibody design has been out for 3 years, would buying a MBP today constitute buying a version that is at the end of its life? Just like cars, it seems Macs refresh their design every 4 years.
  2. diesel macrumors 6502a

    Aug 3, 2007
    Absolute worst time to buy MBP?


    I suppose in a year or so when a new design is released there will be a number of new threads asking the same "is now a good time to buy" question for a different reason......such as its a new design and the kinks have to be worked out and should I wait for the 2nd gen of the new design.

    Bottom line........if you need the computer now then get it now. If you don't, then you know the answer
  3. ZBoater macrumors G3


    Jul 2, 2007
    Sunny Florida
  4. mattopotamus macrumors G5


    Jun 12, 2012
    I still do not know if the new keyboard will make its way to the pro line. It seems like they made a new keyboard b.c they to, to achieve that thinness.
  5. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020


    Feb 15, 2015
    I agree, I think the next think they can do with the MacBook Pro lineup is the design. It's too heavy and they probably want to put the new keyboard and remove ports.
  6. close2reality macrumors 6502

    Sep 21, 2012
  7. ct1211 macrumors 6502

    May 3, 2012
    Forget Lakes and Wells.

    Do you NEED a light duty computer right now and desire something small and easy to carry? If you can afford $1,400 or secondary computer or just don't need the headroom of a larger computer - BUY

    Have to have the latest toy or gadget no matter what? - BUY

    Have a recent computer that serves your needs and or you're on a budget - Not a good time to buy this particular build

    Me, I'm the toy guy, I doubt I will keep past evaluation who knows
  8. Rigby macrumors 601

    Aug 5, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    I don't think so. At least the 13" just got a nice spec bump (more efficient CPU and much faster SSD) as well as the new touchpad (although it is of limited utility at the moment). It's a great machine.
    The keyboard on the MB is a clear step backwards IMO (and so is Gold, yuck :p). But I guess the next MBP will probably be lighter, since more efficient CPUs and displays will likely make it possible to use a smaller battery. Otherwise I wouldn't expect miracles from Skylake.
  9. Anand953 macrumors regular

    Mar 28, 2015
    As already mentioned by many in this thread, there is no right or wrong time to buy a gadget.. Just go for it if you need to buy a laptop now... Apple has got good many options now with MBA, rMBP, MBP and also the old and reliable MBP.. Choose the option which best suit your need and budget... All of them are market leaders in their own sphere... :D
  10. Pranky macrumors newbie

    Mar 18, 2015
    I'd say wait, unless you absolutely NEED a laptop right now. that's what I'm doing. I'm hoping for a more powerful GPU as I do some gaming. But as others have said, the 15" RMBP is screamingly fast for what most people do, so it's not a BAD idea to buy now.
  11. flur macrumors 68020


    Nov 12, 2012
    Whether it's good or bad depends on what you want. I just bought a new MBP, and I could have waited until the fall, but I chose not to, because I looked at that MB and thought "not what I want." I don't want that keyboard. I don't want fewer ports. I don't want an unproven design.

    I *do* think that a redesign is likely with Skylake, and that may come for the holiday season or it might not come until first quarter 2016. I'd rather have the last generation of a proven design than the first gen of a new design. I've seen how Apple puts out a design, and then the next year (or two) they really make it great, and I can't wait two (or three) years for a new machine. So I bought now, because now I know what I'm getting, and I know it's good. It was the right time to buy for me.
  12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020


    Jun 19, 2007
    mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
    Sometimes it is better to get into the end of a product lifecycle rather than in at the very beginning... as the above poster suggested. I just got a top of the line rMPB 15" (free from Apple as the fubared my 17" repair) and it is a pretty amazing machine. Runs much cooler than my 17" for sure - still adjusting to the smaller screen but I am very impressed with this machine so far.

    Since no one really knows what Intel or Apple will do at this point, you could be waiting a while if Apple skips Broadwell and then there are Skylake delays etc.
  13. mag2001 macrumors 6502

    May 24, 2007
    San Antonio, TX
    How much?
  14. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020


    Feb 15, 2015
    Won't you prefer a lighter device?
  15. flur macrumors 68020


    Nov 12, 2012
    Yes, but not at the expense of everything else.
  16. scaredpoet macrumors 604


    Apr 6, 2007

    Skylake does not mean that suddenly, all Broadwell and prior Macs will simply cease to work. They'll keep on just fine, and they'll continue to be supported by Apple for at least 3 years after the final date that particular model was sold.

    From a technical standpoint: Do you have any realistic plans to drive a 5K or higher-resolution monitor with only a single thunderbolt port? If so, then you should wait for Skylake. If not, the current model Macs will be just fine for you (and you can even drive a 5K screen, as long as you're willing to use both Thunderbolt ports to do it).

    As for the remainder of the design changes, those are all cosmetic. Do you have a technical need that requires a thinner retina display? Will you be unable to do your work if your laptop does NOT have a gold exterior, or the new butterfly switches underneath the keys, or a smaller logic board you probably won't ever see or touch, or a force touch trackpad if you go 15 inch? I'm guessing the answer to all of this is "no," but if you can honestly say yes, then maybe you should wait.

    Otherwise, now is as good a time to buy as any.

    Also, consider other possibilities: the next Macbook Pro might come with USB-C ports. Do you have or are you willing to buy, all new equipment that can interface with USB-C? If so, then again, you should wait. But I'm guessing the answer might really be "not for some time." And if you do eventually stumble across USB-C only hardware with no alternatives, I'm willing to bet the right cable adapter can be bought when the time comes.
  17. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a


    Jun 4, 2013

    2014 rMBP here and nothing tempts me to the 2015. Also your super patient to wait that long. When i want a change i want it yesterday. :D
  18. nox-uk macrumors regular

    Apr 11, 2012
    4:53PM seems like a good time to buy a MBP to me. I always found buying stuff early in the morning (before coffee) should be avoided as I was more likely to order the wrong thing, forget something or do something else daft. Hope that helps :) I should probably avoid forums before coffee too :D

  19. David58117 macrumors 65816

    Jan 24, 2013
    I think now's the best time to!

    Look for discounts, and use coupons if you can!

    I got my new 15" 2014 (base model) for a total of $1,440 after tax.
  20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    If you "want" the latest and greatest ... probably not a good time.

    If you "need" the machine ... probably a really good time to browse the refurbs.

    At worst, Best Buy is always a place to stop when they have a sale, since the local post office almost always has the "moving kit" in stock with 10% off coupons in them.
  21. HunPro macrumors member

    Oct 28, 2013
    Budapest, Hungary
    I bought a new 15" a few weeks ago, but I got a deal that was hard to refuse. It cost me exactly the same amount of money that the new entry level Retina MacBook.

    As this was a one time opportunity, I took it.

    I am well aware of age of this machine and its components, almost obsolete while being brand new, I'm aware that Intel's newer chips should outperform it / be more efficient. Intel's new Iris GPU should be faster. Skylake should bring DDR4, which is essential for the bandwidth-starved integrated graphics chip.


    • Intel's late with the quad core Broadwell, as far as I know it's still not available
    • Even if it will be available, it will be a year late anyway
    • Quad core Skylake CPUs were missing from the latest Intel roadmap

    I bet Intel favours the Core Ms when it comes to allocate fab capacity, as they sell at an absurd price, and it's a much smaller silicon. With the new MacBook and its competitors, the demand for those tablet-class chips should be high.

    I don't think that Intel will rush to manufacture quad cores with a massive GPU, the successor chips for the 15" line to the 14nm process.

    If you get a good refurb deal, take it.

    Also note that third party SSD upgrades are still not available to current MacBook Pros, but are promised.

    If Apple updates the proprietary SSDs in it's Pro line, or even worse, integrates it to the logic board (as they did with the new MacBook), you will have to pay upfront and/or be stuck with a capacity that was a reasonable compromise in exchange for speed in 2010-2011, but a pain in 2015.
  22. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013

    It's a bad time for the 15" with dGPU. (the 750M is not up to scratch)

    An ok time for the 15" iGPU, especially with many cheap deals about. (broadwell will make little difference, however if they skip to skylake you'll kick yourself)

    It's a fantastic time to buy the newly updated 13 inch.
  23. close2reality macrumors 6502

    Sep 21, 2012
    15" with dGPU has both iris pro and 750m.

    im sick of the trash talking. get your facts in check
  24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    I never said it didn't!!!!

    Re-read my post. It is still not worth the premium for an old dGPU when the next generation should have a much better dGPU if you need that sort of thing.

    The reason I think it doesn't matter btween broadwell and Haswell for the IRIS pro is that the differences in IRIS on the 13 are so minimal as to be embarassing, this will probably translate tio the IRIS pro 6200 from a quick look at the specs...

    I think it is you who should get your facts straight before you post pointless nonsense and embarrass yourself again...
  25. Freyqq macrumors 601

    Dec 13, 2004
    Well, the 13" version was just updated. That's a safe buy right now.

    The 15" version is basically identical to release in October 2013. That's right. Same CPU and GPU type since October 2013. 750M is just a rebranded 650M with 2gb of ram, so the GPU is actually even older. I would wait for a revision before buying the 15", especially with new chips from Intel right around the corner.

    Just for fun: New Macbook? I'd wait for skylake. Its main problems are that it's slow and only has one port. Skylake will be much faster and the one port will finally be the full USB 3.1 spec.

Share This Page