Absolutely Fuming

Discussion in 'iPad' started by auero, Mar 21, 2011.

1. auero macrumors 65816

I received my 32gb AT&T iPad 2 today and I opened it and inspected it to find glue leaking through pieces of the glass over the aluminum, a scratch on the back (not very big but enough to see it) and a chip in between the aluminum and glass.

I called apple and they said they can GLADLY, return it and order me a new one which will take 4-5 weeks AFTER they receive the one I have now.

I hope everyone checks their shipments closely when they receive them. I kept my cool but I'm PISSED and not sure what to do right now.

They said for my "troubles" they can give me a case but I have to wait the 4-5 weeks to get one. They also said whoever gave me expedited shipping on my unit was lying and that there was no such thing on the iPad 2.

I don't know what I'll do at this point, I'm just extremely mad that they're throwing me at the end of the line and making it sound so pleasant. They also said that going to the store will do nothing and I have to return it to get a different one.
    :mad::mad::mad:

2. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

3. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

That really blows. Keeping your cool (which you did) is really the only thing you can do right now. Losing it would only make things worse. Good luck.

4. ssspinball macrumors 6502

Do this first, then ship it back if they won't take it.

5. Mshilling macrumors regular

6. hlr element macrumors member

well what are they going to do, cancel someone elses order and give you theirs? Everyone ordering online has that wait time and you will just have to wait. Nothing to do about it. I'm sure if this happened 4 months from now you'd have a new one in a week.

7. applemike68 macrumors regular

Sucks and I'm sorry,

I think the biggest issue is "why is GLUE" involved....Is it Elmer's...:confused:

8. bmat macrumors 6502

That sucks. I feel when there a defective ones that person should move up to the front of the line of the next to ship once Apple receives the defective unit.

9. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Sorry to hear that. Hear is a picture of a cute kitten to help calm you down.

Attached Files:

10. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

For some reason, the look on that kitten's face makes me start fuming.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

This is a good idea. Don't ask them if you can return/exchange it...just go to the Genius Bar and show them the problem. They will be the most likely available source of a replacement. It will come in a brown box, but of course it will be new and not refurbished.

12. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Take it back to a store.. if they can't help you one, send it in the mail! Sorry yours is broken =/ at least they are willing to give you a new one.. and give you a free case. That's a $40 savings.. or just get the Leather one!

13. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You should be fuming someone sold you an earless kitten!

14. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

One thing I never understood about the Apple retail store is why I can't return or get the replacement of the online bought goods at any Apple store. Most big name retailers allow that and yet despite all their talk about vertical integration through the physical retail stores, Apple makes you return your online goods strictly through online, even for defective replacements. I think t's a big inconvenience for customers and a poor service.

15. CAWjr macrumors 6502

CAWjr

I work for a major retailer & we only recently (within the last 18 months) implemented boy online & return in store. It's not as easy as you would think.

That said, it should be something that every retailer who operates online should offer.

16. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

We better take _you_ back to the store then ;)

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just walked into an Apple store yesterday and asked to return a Smart Cover I'd bought online. It was processed without question or argument, and I walked out with an Apple gift card for the amount of the Smart Cover, but the clerk told me I could have the amount refunded to my credit card if I wanted.

18. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

As far as I know there are no brown box replacements available yet. Seems like Apple can't even provide a DOA exchange until the oversea launches happen.
    "Oh, your $600 iPad is defective? We'll help you in 5 weeks".

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Is that even legal? :p
    :D

20. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I am very aware that the logistics can be pretty complicated and costly. Just that it's something that should really be taken up by a company that's supposedly all about experience of customers. I mean.. Best Buy and Old Navy allow it.

Whoa really? Is it applicable to all the stores and items or is it a special case? Last time I've asked them about it all online orders were to be returned to the online store by mailing, not the offline store.

21. ravenas macrumors regular

Astounding. Only one appropriate response. Send it back, get a full refund (protest the charge on your credit card if you must) and go shopping for an Android Tablet.

I'm not being sarcastic. Honestly the war stories of how badly Apple is handling the iPad2 production and launch makes me more than concerned about my April 1 shipdate order. I swear if it comes to me defective, I'm gonna do exactly what I said. I have an iPad1 and Touch I can play with in the meantime. And frankly the ability to use Flash, have expandable memory and a quality camera are MUCH MORE appealing to me than a shoddy product from a too-big-for-its-britches hipster company.

FWIW I do empathize with your fury. Apple is most definitely NOT handling their customer service well right now. Hope the store exchange works for you. If not, return and get a full refund. Punish Apple by not giving them your heard-earned money.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, really. :D I have no idea if it's a special case or not, I was going to the Apple store anyway, so thought why not give it a try before trying to figure out how to ship the thing back to Apple, and lo and behold, it worked!

23. auero thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great news! Went to the store anyway and they gave me a brand new one no problem. They even laughed that the rep gave me an issue.

Thanks everyone :)

24. admanimal macrumors 68040

Then why did you order an iPad 2 if it clearly doesn't meet your needs and you hate the company so much? It is like saying "McDonald's food makes me vomit and I hate the way they treat animals...I'll have a Big Mac, please."

25. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal