Absolutely no change in MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Milk*is*tasty, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

Macworld didn't see any change to the MB-series at all? Not even price drops?

What about updates further along the road?

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

There most likely will not be a price drop for a long time. You will not see an update to the MB line until probably Late spring/early summer time.

3. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I doubt it; the MacBook is the ignored stepchild of the family....still no LED screen, still no backlit keyboard, still no decent graphics, still using plastic...

Sigh....A Macbook would suit my needs, but if I get the blackbook (which is the one I like) I would feel like I'm being ripped off big time over $1500 worth of stuff that comes standard in the other laptops. :(

4. Milk*is*tasty thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm in the same position, want to buy a Blackbook, but really want LED-backlights and don't wanna buy something if an upgrade is imminent.

I couldn't care less about the graphics though, I'm not planning on using it for gaming, and that's the only reason for wanting better graphics. The cooler it is, the better.

5. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

For me, this was the biggest disappointment of MacWorld. I was really hoping for something new on the low end.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

They were just updated in October; they get updated on a six-month timespan just like the MBPs (roughly). No updates until May.

7. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I was thinking more in terms of a completely new machine. Not a refresh.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Why would they make the keyboard backlit? That's extra expense and less profit. Apple needs something to separate the MacBook and Pro lines to justify the extra expense of the Pro. If MacBook had a backlit keyboard and dedicated graphics then it would cannibalise sales of the MacBook Pro.

When you look at Apple you have to look differently because in a way they are only competing against themselves. Even if there is something new or standard on the market Apple won't adopt it unless it's sure to be popular or if it fits into their marketing etc.

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You got one--the Macbook Air. The Macbook is never going to get completely overhauled without a Really Good Reason. The last time it did was when Apple stopped calling it an iBook, switched to Intel, introduced the CoreDuo, and started calling it a Macbook. Same with the Powerbook to MBP transition.

10. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I said on the low end. Eighteen hundred dollars is hardly low end.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

In that case, you just had unrealistic expectations. Some of us had been saying it for months; Apple was never going to introduce an aluminum-class Macbook at Macbook prices; they were always going to maintain that price separation. People here just kept repeating "$1000 Macbook Nano" to themselves over and over again, but that didn't mean it had a snowball's chance of passing. :D

12. byeehaaw macrumors 6502

well they just updated mb recently. so nothing til like may or june right?

13. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I don't think a redesigned low end Macbook is an unrealistic expectation. I don't recall stating that I was looking for an aluminum low end Macbook, or anything about a thousand dollars or a nanobook.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

The bottom line is that the MB doesn't get technology or upgrades before the MBP does. It never has, and it never will. It will never be anything other than plastic (unless the MBP abandons aluminum for a higher-end metal), it probably won't ever use anything other than the cheapest graphics cards available, and it'll almost certainly never get "major" redesigns without full on iBook->Macbook-type name changes.

15. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Wow, thanks for the Mac education. Boy, do I feel stupid.:rolleyes:

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

You can get mad, but in the end, it sounds like you simply built up the "new MB" in your head and ignored the warning signs that an MBA wasn't going to be given at MB prices. Hopefully you'll have more realistic appraisals by the time another Macworld rolls around. :D

17. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

I don't get mad about forum posts. I just get a kick out of forum know-it-alls.:)

18. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah

Completely unrealistic expectations here. Why would they completely re-engineer a fairly well selling machine?

19. tiamat1990 macrumors member

Yeah nothing should happen until May, even then it'll still be a pretty minor update. Don't expect LED screens. I'm still going to wait for it anyway. Even if it's just a .2 increase in the processor.

20. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

When I say a completely new machine, I'm talking about the smaller, possibly 11 or 12 inch, model that many people have been wanting ever since they axed the 12 inch Power and iBooks.

I never insinuated that they should put the current machines on the chopping block. Who said anything about re-engineering?

21. ray648 macrumors regular

Sorry, but none of this actually makes sense. Why will the macbook never become aluminium? The imac/mini mac/ipod are all aluminium now and they are all consumer products like the macbook. Also, if im correct, the macbook was the first mac with the new style keyboard and the magnetic latch, two upgrades still to make it to the macbook pro.

22. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

okay

I get your point here. I'm a proud owner of a 12" powerbook and am anxiously awaiting it's replacement.

Macbook is an option, but...it's just too big.

And a Macbook Air is NOT an option, because my laptop is my only computer.

23. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Didn't El-Jobso say something about all laptops transitioning to LEDs by the end of 'next-year' (which would be 2008 if he said that in 2007)?

So I'm surprised that MacBooks didn't get the LED 13". Maybe they will after the initial few months of the MacBook Air and stocks for the screens replenish.

I'm typing this on my 12" PowerBook and I have to say I'm really let down by the MBA. The footprint isn't very much smaller than a 15" MBP and yeah, it's thin and light, but it's still not tiny enough to put in my lap while sitting on an airplane, or slip easily into MY bag. But since Apple is Gung-Ho about widescreen displays, I don't think my 12" PB will ever get a true successor.

So I have been eyeballing the BlackBook as a replacement but don't want to do anything until LED screens come out. If I were to guess, I'd say MacBook LED upgrades in late Feb/early March as a passive annoucenment - and some rubbish about how 'green' Apple is due to lack of mercury or something. When's Earth Day? Maybe then.... ha!

PS. And don't rant on about how MacBooks will never be aluminum. You don't have a Scooby.

24. Milk*is*tasty thread starter macrumors member

I'm in the exact same position, ogling a Blackbook right now, but I really expected them to get LED-backlight sooner. I'm very tempted to buy one right now to be honest, but I also have a nagging feeling they'll give the MB some love when they do the silent upgrade to the MBP (most think that's not too far off).

25. shimmer11 macrumors member

I am in the same camp as everyone here. I would love to get a 2.2 ghz white Macbook tonight! But I would love to get the LED backlit screens. But since the Macbook Air is getting all of the supply, the nearest LED possibility would be May (just guessing). Anyone else have some secrets on the LED updates to the Macbooks?

-Maclover