Absolutely NO T-Mobile Unlocked iPhone 6 Plus at my local Apple Store.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
I was 16 in line and felt my chances were pretty good on getting a 6+ unlocked but the store didn't receive not 1 unlocked device. Left the store empty handed. Blah.

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
I was 16 in line and felt my chances were pretty good on getting a 6+ unlocked but the store didn't receive not 1 unlocked device. Left the store empty handed. Blah.
Sooooooo stupid in USA can't he an unlocked phone launch day. $@&$ carriers

DMP87

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
Same here, I just bought the ATT version. I'm gonna pay it out right using the barclaycarrd deal and then call ATT to unlock it so I can go to tmobile on Tuesday like I planned.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Same here, I just bought the ATT version. I'm gonna pay it out right using the barclaycarrd deal and then call ATT to unlock it so I can go to tmobile on Tuesday like I planned.
So are you already on T Mobile or ATT? Could I have done the same thing? I'm already with T Mobile

DMP87

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
Both, my iPhone 5 is on AT&T but I have a family plan line waiting for me on tmobile.

My contract with AT&T ends on Tuesday.

Here is what I read on AT&T site in regards to unlocking phones

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB414532&cv=820#fbid=2mjZrHZ8LzX

I meet all those reqs so theoretically they should unlock it.

m3nphls

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2013
you should've still gotten the phone. Sometimes those employees don't know the difference. And if it was indeed locked, which I doubt it, you could've returned it.

DMP87

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
Yea I asked him was the AT&T phone unlocked and he said they weren't selling any. Figured id take my chances. No way I'm leaving empty handed after 9-10 hours of waiting

cs33

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Wrong as they are doing reservations. So you know what phones you are getting now.
Weird, since every phone is technically unlocked already unless you choose a carrier. That's when the activation policy is applied. Should have just bought att outright and had them unlock it. They have to for free. Also, Verizon come unlocked.

BigMar89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
you should've still gotten the phone. Sometimes those employees don't know the difference. And if it was indeed locked, which I doubt it, you could've returned it.
Returned and did just that. I now have a 64GB iPhone 6 Plus White/Silver ATT on reserve in which I'm planning to purchase with no contract. Here's hoping I can just pop in my tmo nanosim and works right away.

----------

What Apple store?
in Northbrook, Illinois

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Every iPhone is unlocked from the get go if you get it off the contract at full price. They've been doing it for years. The employees were either clueless or wanted to limit the number of off contract sales. I bet its the former.

Bugarron

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Unlocked

T-Mobile iPhones are UNLOCKED and confirmed by dozens of buyers early this morning. Simply replace the SIM card with ATT or compatible mobile service carrier. Phone must be purchased through Apple store, NOT T-Mobile direct.

Bugarron

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I don't believe so, AT&T uses GSM, and Verizon uses CDMA. The two technologies are not compatible.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Once again, Verizon iPhone 6 is CDMA for Verizon and it's unlocked for gsm. Att/tmobile will work no problem. Even Verizon iPhone 6 on contract is still unlocked.

bhaffar

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
Once again, Verizon iPhone 6 is CDMA for Verizon and it's unlocked for gsm. Att/tmobile will work no problem. Even Verizon iPhone 6 on contract is still unlocked.
Truefan31 - Do you know if Verizon allows LTE if using an ATT or TMO sim in the Verizon iphone 6?

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Our Apple store had no t-mobile phones either but we were told by Apple Store manager that AT&T phones worked the same. They were right. AT&T phones, bought without contract, were unlocked. We didn't need to call AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.