Absurd battery life

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MathijsDelva, May 26, 2010.

1. MathijsDelva macrumors regular

Hello everybody,

I've always had my doubts about the battery life/usage of this device so here goes:

is it normal, when i use wifi & maps the battery percentage drops 1% every single (short) minute? I mean, i did the test, just scrolling through the some areas and the battery literally went down by 12% after 6 minutes. Right now, i closed maps and it goes somewhat slower, but also (just showing the homescreen) here the percentage drops 1% every 5 minutes. Does wifi eat THAT much because this is just ridiculous. Or is it just 'using' the iphone eats that much battery? I've reset the iphone many times, i don't have 3G, push notifications, email push, location or any other stuff on. I barely use it! But when i use it, the battery drops immensively!

I hope to hear someones opinion on this!

Regards

2. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

i dont think 12% in 6 minutes is normal. I personally would call iPhone support with Apple or take it to the a apple store to see what they say.

3. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

See, the thing is, i found this iphone about a year back on the ground. So i've jailbroken it but of course i can't prove it's mine. So going to the apple store is a no no :) But i didn't have the problem a while back so, i'm trying to figure out what's going on here..

4. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak=lower bat life from what I've found

1% every 3 minutes gives you exactly was apple states to be "normal" battery life

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

How about we don't give any kind of advice to pieces of **** that found an iphone and just kept it. I'm sure they could have found the owner if they wanted to do the right thing.

6. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Great, people like to jump to conclusions. Trust me, i've done everything in my power to return the iphone to the rightful owner. So don't go there, please. I'm just asking a specific question about battery life!

7. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I thought you said:

"I bought a second hand iphone from this person."

Get your story straight, thief.

8. WiseMarley macrumors member

Why is going to the apple store a no no? When they can't confirm it is yours then maybe they can figure out who is the rightful owner.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Of course they can! That's why the op is not going to the store. They tried everything they could to return it except the easiest thing in the world: bring it to an AT&T or Apple store.

10. No ice please macrumors 6502

DFU restore and take it to the apple store. If they ask for proof just lie.
    Take the SIM out and just leave it with them.

11. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

People can't let go right? Ok, so, i found it in spain. Did everything there to found out who or what, but i didn't found out anything. The phone was clean, nothing on it, and already jailbroken. I live in Belgium. We don't have AT&T. The only operator that has the right to sell iphones, is Mobistar. This is a national operator (only in Belgium). So guess where the spain/belgium/mobistar story is going? Right, nowhere. And, not to be completely hypocritical, if i find an iphone and after trying loads of stuff to found out what or where but it turns out to be extremely hard, i keep it.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Tell it to Jesus when you try to get into Heaven, lady.

13. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Did you take it to the police? Or is that too out of the way and hard for you?

14. TW95 macrumors member

Battery Life.

I think I have the same problem. My iPhone 3GS is not jailbroken and is fairly new. I use it quite a lot during the day but I've found that I have to put it into Flight Mode when I'm not using it to help save some power.

Apart from that: it could be because of irregular charging cycles (Like me).
    You should let your battery die before charging it might help but probably with unnoticeable results.

:)

15. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

1) type the serial number into here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

2) if it has warranty, restore to latest firmware

3) use as normal, see if there are still any problems. A reset will not do anything, you will have to do a complete restore.

4) if problems still persist, take it to an apple store and get a replacement.

i would only condone the above if you truly have done everything in your powers to get it back to the original owner.

16. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

what does having warranty have to do with restoring? Even if your warranty has expired by how ever long it will still restore to the latest software for the device.

17. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

sorry i just assumed his phone was jailbroken.

also havent apple disabled restoring to anything other than 3.1.3? in my experience 3.1.3 improves battery life ten fold.

18. iPhone3Gusr macrumors member

iPhone3Gusr

no you dont have to restore to 3.1.3. If you have a previous ipsw file for like 3.1.2 you can restore using that. And yes i believe 3.1.3 improves battery life.

19. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Why don't you ask Gizmodo? They know all about lost iPhones. :)

20. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

Yes, I'm sure you about broke your neck trying to find its owner. :rolleyes: You have a lot of nerve complaining about the battery life of a phone that doesn't belong to you. Perhaps it's karma's way of giving you the middle finger.

21. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Long battery life has been one of the hallmarks of Apple iToys and portable devices. My iPhone normally lasts all day.

22. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Apple doesn't care. I got my second hand (off Craigslist) iPhone replaced and they never commented on the original owner thing being Lisa something when I'm a guy who told them my name.

23. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the people just answering the question. I have found out it's still in waranty 'til 6th of july this year. But i'll just try to restore it first. Thanks for the advice!

24. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

You're telling me that the person you stole it from had the iPhone for less than a year? You know that they reported it stolen or loosed. Why don't you be a decent human being and call apple so they can return it to the RIGHTFUL owner? Wouldn't you want the same done for you? You really come on here and lie to everyone about buying it from a friend and want us to help you? The person you stole it from is probably locked into a contract for at least another year and it woud cost them big bucks to get a new one. Do the respectable thing please.

25. MathijsDelva thread starter macrumors regular

What's up with this "buying from a friend" thing? I never said that?!