Accelerometer Issues?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Markleshark, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

So basically, sometimes it doesn't work. When I tilt the iPod touch on it's side, sometimes there is a huge delay on switching to Coverflow mode (Or turning the web page, depending on what I'm doing) and other times it doesn't work at all.

Sometimes however, it works fine. I have tried restoring and it works for a while, then goes funny again. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. James L macrumors 6502a

It won't work lying flat in your hand, it needs to be upright I believe.

3. Dublo7 macrumors regular

You have to be holding it up. You can't just lie it on a table. That's not how the accelerometer works.

4. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

That could be what it is, tbh. :eek: It is in my hand, but on about a 30 degree angle most of the time. Which would prolly explain why it works sometimes, I'm prolly putting my hand above the required angle sometimes, and sometimes not.

Still doesn't explain the delay I get, or does it?

I hope so anyway, because no Apple stores round here.

Thanks.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The threshold seems to be around 30 degrees, but you can test it your self. It takes <1sec to complete the rotation. Perhaps faster in Photos vs. Safari.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i find that the angle of my iphone has to be between forty-five and sixty degrees before the orientation of the display is forced to change. there usually isn't the switch unless it's in the middle of loading a page, where it could just lag for ages. i think your ipod touch is fine, but the paranoid in me would try to find as many ipod touches i could find to do a comparison test. :eek:

7. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

I noticed that is did not work reliably when I was playing about with the Touch at an Apple Store (Glasgow). Figure it was just the way I was holding it - but also suggests that they should have included some kind of manual override.

This was the only "flaw" with the Touch that I could see. Everything worked really well. Very impressive little device.

I would have bought one right there - if they had any in stock :rolleyes:

8. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'm certainly feeling better about mine, will see what I can do when I get home.

Really hoping I don't have to return it, because thats just going to be a lengthy process.

9. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Just FYI, so far it seems as if the angle I was holding it at was the 'problem' :eek:

Thanks for the replies. :)

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, it tends not to react unless it's more or less 'upright'. If you're holding it flat (parallel to the floor) it doesn't work at all.

11. horasmail macrumors newbie

Little experiment

Hi... I’d like to propose to all the paranoiac community to do an experiment:
    install some accelerometer using app (make sure it’s sensitive to the angle) to your ipod touch, then... when the app is running let the device lying on the most horizontal table you have around, and observe what happens. I’m not trying to be mysterious here but I won’t tell you my results yet so you don’t know what to expect and you get your own results.
    …. And please post them here!!!! :D

12. themick171 macrumors newbie

anyone notice that accelerometer is less reliable since ipod touch 2.0 update.

13. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I've had the same problem since the 2.0 update. It works, but it takes a delay.

And yes, I hold it straight upright when I do this.

14. ricartedor macrumors member

I've noticed a delay since 2.0 too, you sort of have to shake it to get it to work!

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I think you are right, about a 30-degree default and then things move. I find this with the Trism game.