Accelerometer off center by about 3 degrees

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RUnited, Jan 1, 2009.

1. RUnited macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I just bought my iPhone 3G few days ago and immediately noticed that the games I play seem to tilt to the left when lying flat on a table.. (Chopper, BlueSkies, Rolando). In games with calibration it's ok, but in games without calibration it's very annoying.

I got myself those calibration apps and then found out that my accelerometer is off center by about 3 degrees...

Is this a common problem? I don't want to exchange it if it could get worse..

2. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I haven't noticed anything like this when playing games....I would exchange.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I dunno, how often do you play games with the iPhone or iPod on the tabletop? It really wasn't designed for that. When I tried one of those calibrating apps, mine was also off by about three degrees (original iPhone), FWIW. (I don't notice any real associated problem when playing games).

4. RUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast replies.

Xtgirl, do you mind getting one of those free calibrating apps to test your phone?

I know you wouldn't normally play games on tabletops, but now that I know my center is off by few degrees it becomes a bit annoying...

i'm just wondering if it's a known issue and if anyone actually has a phone that isn't off by few degrees...

wouldn't want to go and exchange the phone if i could end up with a worse issue...

5. synagence macrumors 6502a

Interesting .... i had my 3g iphone replaced the other day @ applestore ... and i am having a similar feeling on mine ... i was playing low-grav racer and i was continually turning left by quite a large amount ... really annoying

Might have to go back to apple again

6. RUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

You can check for sure by using TiltMeter.

Looks like this may be a common problem... let's hear if there are more feedback to this thread..

7. synagence macrumors 6502a

X-Plane is showing 2 degrees off on the horizontal axis and 1 degree off on the other

8. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I have problems with mine aswel i want to test it but TiltMeter isn't free do you know any free app to test?

9. RUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

There's an app called "a free level"

Can only test horizontal that one, but it does give you an idea whether your phone is off center.

Please report back once you have done the test.

10. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I have the same problem vertically and horizontally, on the game papi jump it goes left on a level desk and on x plane it tilts right. But on my brothers iphone it works fine on the same flat surface

11. RUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you on 2.2?

Is your brother also on 2.2?

12. Havok123 macrumors newbie

Apple should make it so the meter is re-calibrateable from the setting screen

13. Brandon3003 macrumors member

Same problem here. I was going to exchange mine at first, but noticed my moms phone had the same problem and didn't care to exchange my brand new phone for a refurb. I believe this is a common issue as I remember reading somewhere that apple doesn't calibrate the accelerometer upon leaving the factory.

14. synagence macrumors 6502a

Well .. since the phone i am now using IS a refurb then i don't have a problem getting ANOTHER one ...

I got an appointment with local genius bar for saturday

Would be so much simpler if apple would allow a calibrate ... but then so many things would be so much simpler if apple would just allow.............

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm surprised there is no jailbreak utility to calibrate the accelerometer at the system level.... At least, I haven't been able to find of one. The three degrees, honestly, doesn't have a huge impact on games, and I'm guessing it's probably in their tolerance band. But system-wide calibration just makes so much sense that it's a gimme, if Apple is serious about games.

16. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

yep we are both on 2.2, I can post pics of them, I just need to find my camera, lol.

17. Robby9279 macrumors regular

You can take a screen shot on your phone if you briefly hit the home but and the power button at the same time. Don't hold it, just press the two down at the same time and release after that. You're screen should go white very maybe a millisecond. Then, go into your photos on your phone and it should be the last picture.

18. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

here are some pictures comparing my phone and my brother's. Both are on a table (it isn't perfectly level) and they both show different levelness ( I think that's a word, :) ). I used the app "A Free Level" and I believe the phone on the right (my brothers) is the correct one.

Attached Files:

19. RUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I didn't realize so many people has this problem...

The problem is really with games that has no calibration.. Racing games come to mind (Asphalt 4 for example). As soon as I start, I am tilting left.. You'd think that if they make games to sell for $10 they would have calibration, but no... and then you find calibration in free games...

Guess I won't be exchanging mine then...

Let's hope Apple notices this and include a calibration in their firmware... Or atleast force games to include it in their options.

20. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Apple will replace your phone free of charge for you. Just start a game using the accelerometer and place it flat on the table and they should notice.

21. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Alright here's my results tested with an app called iHandy Level.

It seems mine is off a little bit, but i really don't understand how it works so if anyone could look at my pictures and tell me i would appreciate it!

My iPhone is laying flat on the table in my kitchen.

Attached Files:

22. Digitalflick macrumors regular

Have you leveled your table with a real level?

23. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Good call. Also everyone should note that the accelerometer in the iPhone is hardly a scientific measuring device.

24. RUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately it seems a lot of phones are off.. my brother's phone has the same issue. it's pointless for me to replace the phone if I may end up with an even worse one...

i'm hearing about ones over 5 degrees off too...

bottom line seems to be that developers know about this issue and that's why some of them include calibration in their programs. Either Apple offers system wide calibration or developers have one in all their apps..

25. RUnited thread starter macrumors newbie

I got this reply from Tilt Meter's developer - Carlos Hernandez:

Hi. Every iPhone's accelerometer is different. Meaning that games or applications like Tilt Meter will initially have 2 to 3 degrees off, sometimes more. Some games come with calibration procedures for this purpose, so don't worry. In the case of Tilt Meter, run the calibration process.

----------------------

Well.... I suppose this clarifies the issue?